1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Closest US/Canadian Skiing?

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by Hallouminati, Aug 19, 2019.

1. zac150

zac150 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I reckon this is fair, I’ve looked at Tahoe a few times as an option and then decided to give it a miss because I wasn’t sure if the snow would be there at Xmas.

2. Harper11

Harper11 Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I’m going on my first ski trip with the kids in tow in late January
    I just wanted one flight so bris to LA
    Driving to mammoth and doing some other stuff

I’ve never been to California for skiing, done most North American regions, so something different.

Ozgirl likes this.
  3. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us

A great mountain and a wonderful drive through the Mojave with the magnificent Sierras on your left. Be sure to stop at Schats Bakery in Bishop.

Mammoth has something for everyone. You’ll love it.

Harper11 likes this.
  4. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

I still remember flying over Tahoe on the way to Denver during the 5 year drought. No snow in January. Nada. Not a sausage.

5. Hallouminati

Hallouminati First Runs

Yes, I’ve bought her the Thredbo lesson pack (special offer is Costco - 15% off) to get her going for the first two days. Let’s see how she goes after that!

Wardy likes this.
  6. Marty_McSly

Marty_McSly Backwards to the future! Ski Pass: Gold

A bloke I shared a gondola ride with in March 2017 took a pic just above one of the carparks, no. 5 IIRC. Deep snow, as far as the eye could see. Then he pulled up a pic from the same spot, same day in 2016. Grass and mud, as far as the eye could see.

I guess WB has the vert to always have something up high, but that's not necessarily helpful if you need the beginner/family area down low.

7. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

The lower access runs are almost always skiable due to snowmaking.

8. silva

silva One of Us

As someone who has regularly travelled long haul with a child I would recommend a 12 to 14 hour overnight flight over a 8 - 9 hour flight any day. On a 12+ hour flight kids tend to get a good sleep - they have time for a meal and movie and some settle down time plus a good sleep. We usually do interior resorts in the US and Canada - off the plane, quick breakfast. Travel to destination resort, unpack and get bearings, off to bed and up the next day to hit the slopes. Due to Jet lag the first day is usually a bit of a write off anyway so you may as well spend it travelling and getting the boring things done (sorting lift passes, check in, unpack, grocery shop etc).
    The other benefit of a US or Canada trip over Japan with young kids is that you can often fly to within 45 mins or so of your resort - no 5 to 6 hour train/bus combo to get from the airport to the comfort of your on snow accommodation.

Wardy, Sbooker and Hallouminati like this.
  9. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Glad your kids get a good sleep on the plane, mine don’t!

10. silva

silva One of Us

That would suck. I have always chosen overnight long haul wherever possible as he sleeps well - have only done long haul day time once (to Japan). It was exhausting trying to keep him occupied and when we got there we were travel weary and he was bouncing off the walls with energy.

11. silva

silva One of Us

I would wait to choose the resort you travel to based on how your wife is feeling about skiing after this trip. If she is keen to learn more and improve then a resort with more non skiing activities is not as important a consideration. Then look at your priorities and I am sure people on here will have a heap of suggestions based on budget, ski school options and activity preferences.

Hallouminati likes this.
  12. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us

Mine sleep well between the dinner service and the breakie service. We always stay awake until 7pm the first day. Good to go from there.

silva likes this.
  13. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Travelling with small kids on long haul is hard work.

Nappy changing, boredom, fidgeting, sleeplessness.

all adds up to a looong flight.

And my son was 18 LOL

Hallouminati and Wardy like this.