Question Club Lodge booking software

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
The lodge CG is a member of has an outdated booking process and we are being tasked with modernising it.

It's a club that has a medium size lodge at Hotham and a small one at Buller.

I'm wondering if there's a off the shelf SaaS / online booking system that we could just repurpose.

It's pretty typical club lodge deal - put in for your pre-bookings which are (manually??) allocated before the season and then confirmed upon receiving payment, then during the season its first-come-first served.

Ideally I'd like to use it as a payment processor too especially for the in-season bookings.

Anyone a member of a club that uses anything similar?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
I've always thought this would be a candidate service that SI should be looking at. Just coming from the pov of private clubs, that work is pretty thankless that is often done on an unpaid basis in the smaller clubs. Has to be worth something.

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
I've always thought this would be a candidate service that SI should be looking at. Just coming from the pov of private clubs, that work is pretty thankless that is often done on an unpaid basis in the smaller clubs. Has to be worth something.

Yeah it would be a niche but I bet they're all pretty similar in the end and if you had a good tailored SaaS product then there's good scope to make some cash.

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
You'd be surprised how different clubs can be with idiosyncratic booking rules. Any single system has to have very flexible mechanisms for deciding whether a booking can be accepted and what it should cost.

For sure. Booking rules can easily be the stuff of religious wars, particularly when they're not fair to all members. But given a transparent system with reasonable scope to customise I suspect many clubs would be willing to compromise at least a little on their particular rules in the name of simplicity and transparency. Though if the rumour mills are true to form, there are a few clubs that would be torn apart if their existing booking systems were made transparent.

Reactions: Chaeron

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
For sure. Booking rules can easily be the stuff of religious wars, particularly when they're not fair to all members. But given a transparent system with reasonable scope to customise I suspect many clubs would be willing to compromise at least a little on their particular rules in the name of simplicity and transparency. Though if the rumour mills are true to form, there are a few clubs that would be torn apart if their existing booking systems were made transparent.
our club is ok on transparency, but not keen on being forced to changing the booking rules. they have evolved over many years for (mostly) good reasons.

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Nightmare! Especially when non technical people have been making the rules. Add in some savvy marketers for various booking systems that are out there. And pity the poor bunny who is trying to make everyone happy.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
The system we use supports our rules pretty well - and the different rules of affiliated clubs that are using it. There are some minor, infrequent situations that are not 100%. I'm not saying that it's impossible, just that it's not easy, especially for a developer who hasn't been exposed to the wonderful variety that is out there

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
We're lucky our club treasurer is a software developer apart from being a sh!t hot telemarker. He built ours and it was a godsend when if went live.

I can ask if he would replicate it for your club.

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
We're lucky our club treasurer is a software developer apart from being a sh!t hot telemarker. He built ours and it was a godsend when if went live.

I can ask if he would replicate it for your club.

The system we use supports our rules pretty well - and the different rules of affiliated clubs that are using it. There are some minor, infrequent situations that are not 100%. I'm not saying that it's impossible, just that it's not easy, especially for a developer who hasn't been exposed to the wonderful variety that is out there

We have same, in - house IT super nerds.
Have excellent system where you can see how many beds available , who else is booked in , then pay thru paypal.
Still have flexibility to cancel / transfer in need (subject to Policy).
Human element is required at peak times to configure room share etc. as is small Lodge.

cqen2l

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 7, 2003
Northern Beaches
Human element is required at peak times to configure room share etc. as is small Lodge.
I run the bookings for our club at Hotham, have previously looked at automated systems but if you want to maximise revenue, particularly in peak periods it needs to be done manually. The auto systems work best if you are letting complete rooms not individual beds. Added problem is people booking a room for say 2 nights midweek locking out potential 5 or 7 nights bookings. Revenue nightmare.

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
I run the bookings for our club at Hotham, have previously looked at automated systems but if you want to maximise revenue, particularly in peak periods it needs to be done manually. The auto systems work best if you are letting complete rooms not individual beds. Added problem is people booking a room for say 2 nights midweek locking out potential 5 or 7 nights bookings. Revenue nightmare.
Yes absolutely.
Ours is only 30 beds and more logistics driven rather than revenue driven to facilitate members on the hill.
Having said that at the end of the day the Treasurer still wants to print a happy story.

Reactions: cqen2l

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
The way we use our system is more like a booking request. Your booking is not confirmed until the booking officer approves it. booking officer has a responsibility to optimise occupancy so you may not get the room you asked for. the system could just accept bookings as entered, but we think we would lose revenue, and also disappoint more people who couldn't get in.

that said, most of our rules are enforced by the booking system, eg you can't make short stays till a couple of weeks before hand, a single person can't expect a room to themself ...

Reactions: cqen2l

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
The way we use our system is more like a booking request. Your booking is not confirmed until the booking officer approves it. booking officer has a responsibility to optimise occupancy so you may not get the room you asked for. the system could just accept bookings as entered, but we think we would lose revenue, and also disappoint more people who couldn't get in.

that said, most of our rules are enforced by the booking system, eg you can't make short stays till a couple of weeks before hand, a single person can't expect a room to themself ...
Copy that.
Small club lodge, the human element as we illustrated is essential.

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
We're only a small lodge and we book beds not rooms, so a bit easier.

Allocation happens when you're in the lodge, first in best dressed.

Communal.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

ladycamper

One of Us
Jul 16, 2010
Australia
Also the system has to offer flexibility for the occasions, which I've had before, where people can be booked in to stay at short notice as guests, either because they're known to a member and accompanying a member as the rules usually intend, or the cases where a member may otherwise (seen it myself) in some social setting introduce them self and their position in a lodge ...... Kind of like when they tout for occasional guests under the radar. One involved in a club lodge can't advertise this openly as its not allowed to tout openly for guests at times, and also the need to preserve the community atmosphere of the lodge by only inviting those who are likely to add to the community and enjoyment of the lodge and appreciate lodge etiquette.

blutek

One of Us
Jun 2, 2003
central coast
...also the need to preserve the community atmosphere of the lodge by only inviting those who are likely to add to the community and enjoyment of the lodge and appreciate lodge etiquette.

An extended relo's "friend" we had booked in, bought some girls back from the LJH for a 3am hot tub session. We got a late night call to sort it. Surprisingly the only time I can recall it happening.

Reactions: ladycamper

Gunyang

First Runs
May 22, 2018
The lodge CG is a member of has an outdated booking process and we are being tasked with modernising it.

It's a club that has a medium size lodge at Hotham and a small one at Buller.

I'm wondering if there's a off the shelf SaaS / online booking system that we could just repurpose.

It's pretty typical club lodge deal - put in for your pre-bookings which are (manually??) allocated before the season and then confirmed upon receiving payment, then during the season its first-come-first served.

Ideally I'd like to use it as a payment processor too especially for the in-season bookings.

Anyone a member of a club that uses anything similar?
Hi CarveMan, I was wondering where you got with this as we are wanting to automate our booking system for our 6 room Lodge in Thredbo.

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Hi CarveMan, I was wondering where you got with this as we are wanting to automate our booking system for our 6 room Lodge in Thredbo.
Ended up using CDBWeb - seemed to understand the requirements of club lodges the best out of the available software packages, from memory the rest were better for BnB / Hotel applications and didn't understand shared rooms / booking per bed and also member and non-member pricing/access etc.

Reactions: Sir Surfalot

Gunyang

First Runs
May 22, 2018
Ended up using CDBWeb - seemed to understand the requirements of club lodges the best out of the available software packages, from memory the rest were better for BnB / Hotel applications and didn't understand shared rooms / booking per bed and also member and non-member pricing/access etc.
Thanks for such a fast response. I was just looking at their site based on the thread, it definitely sounds like it can do what we want. How do you like it? Is it expensive?

Tonester

Lift Line Nazi
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2001
Sydney
we use little hotelier. It's for BnBs and smaller hotels. Allows for 3rd party booking engines and a heaps of payment options.
BUT....it doesn't do single beds/shared rooms elegantly. I've tweaked it so that it works for member and guest rates at different season rates for beds or whole lodge.

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Our club moved to cbdweb this year. Much more user friendly than our old system. The developer is very helpful and can accommodate a lot of rule variations.

Weird timing this thread revival. On my way home from AGM where we've been discussing booking system

Gunyang

First Runs
May 22, 2018
Our club moved to cbdweb this year. Much more user friendly than our old system. The developer is very helpful and can accommodate a lot of rule variations.

Weird timing this thread revival. On my way home from AGM where we've been discussing booking system
Thanks, timing is everything!

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Update - our first year with CBDWEB went very smoothly and this year even more so as members get used to it

Our rules and procedures are petty complicated, but with a bit of imagination and developer tweaking, we could get cbdweb to do just about everything were wanted

Reactions: sastrugi

fats3112

Hard Yards
Jul 6, 2015
Thumbs up for Clubman!
Our club bookings this year were a joy.
David's business name "notbad software" says it all.
I'm sure our Club committee can provide testimonials.

Jeez I spend so much time lurking on this site and it appears that this is only my second post!!!

Reactions: David Banham
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using