NSW/ACT Cold outbreak with widespread snow - August 21-24, 2020

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Artarmon, Sydney North Shore
The models are lined up for a significant cold outbreak starting from tomorrow Thursday August 20 into early next week. Weather patterns have reverted to a more normal August pattern, with the highs up North, deep low pressure to the South and strong W-SW winds over SE Australia including NSW and even Southern Queensland in between.

A series of cold fronts will cross SE Australia in the next few days, bringing cold temperatures and rain to the Tablelands and slopes and snow to the Snowies, Southern and Central Tablelands, the Barrington Tops and the Southern parts of the Northern Tablelands. The first of these, an opener if you will, passed over Sydney late this afternoon after having brought soft hail to parts of the Central Tablelalnds.

Here's the forecast synoptic from the NZ Met for 10:00 tomorrow (AEST):

Synoptic 20200820 NZ.JPG

Meteye shows snow falling as early as tonight on the Oberon Plateau, with snowfalls likely on Friday and the weekend. The forecast for Oberon (1100 metres) has a snowflake icon against Friday, Saturday and Sunday - not often you see that. Snow is forecast to fall as low as 600 metres on Saturday 22nd, including Bathurst and Katoomba.

Last edited:

kathrynsview

Hard Yards
Jun 13, 2018
Newport, NSW
Thanks Steve, have followed your posts for quite a few years, Weatherzone Forum, quite the family, very happy ski.com adopted us to continue our interest in all things weather. Looking forward to this upcoming weather, something so very different to the last few years, seems like weather I remember from 'the old days' like the winds of August'.

warrie

One of Us
Jun 15, 2008
Sydney
Mt Boyce at 4.6 degrees, so needs to drop at least 3 more. Cold airmasses hold less moisture so there won't be too much snow at this location. Still, pple get excited at 2 cm worth.

Jul 12, 2019
Nth Curl Curl
Really appreciate the work you lot do and I apologize if this isn't the spot to ask the question.
My family an I have missed out on getting to the mountains this season but we were really hoping to see some snow fall over the weekend and were thinking Crookwell.

what are our chances of seeing some flakes over Saturday/Sunday?
The models looks positive in my eyes but I know little in this game.

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
Really appreciate the work you lot do and I apologize if this isn't the spot to ask the question.
My family an I have missed out on getting to the mountains this season but we were really hoping to see some snow fall over the weekend and were thinking Crookwell.

what are our chances of seeing some flakes over Saturday/Sunday?
The models looks positive in my eyes but I know little in this game.
Likely to see some possible accumulation in Crookwell throughout tomorrow. Should be all over by Saturday night IMO.
I wouldn’t expect there to be much evidence (or falls) or snow in Crookwell by Sunday IMO.

Jul 12, 2019
Nth Curl Curl
Likely to see some possible accumulation in Crookwell throughout tomorrow. Should be all over by Saturday night IMO.
I wouldn’t expect there to be much evidence (or falls) of snow in Crookwell by Sunday IMO.
Thanks POW, appreciate it.
Would you have any tips on the best locations to see such a thing withing a 4hr radius of Sydney town?

Bindo

One of Us
Feb 25, 2001
Sydney, NSW, Australia
Thanks POW, appreciate it.
Would you have any tips on the best locations to see such a thing withing a 4hr radius of Sydney town?
Drive to Hampton and then take the road up to Mt Bindo. Take care though if you have only 2WD as it could be slippery. Should be snow near the summit if not below. If it’s not there then go on to Oberon/Shooters Hill. Good luck!

gwilli

Hard Yards
Jul 9, 2019
Rockdale , Sydney
Just arrived in Crookwell and its a sunny 2C. Went through some sleet on the way up from Goulburn and a small amount settled just outside Crookwell at around 940M . From looking at the clouds, at the moment it looks like it will come in short burst.

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Artarmon, Sydney North Shore
Thank you all for the reports and pictures. Nice video of snow in Mt Victoria.

It’s sunny and windy but not particularly cold in Sydney, with the occasional passing cloud. The radar shows showers reaching the coast at Newcastle, although just 0.4 mm so far. The temperature dropped over 5° (from 13.9° to 8.5°) in under half an hour. This didn’t happen at nearby sites. Malfunction?

EDIT: now Williamtown has dropped by 3° to 10.9° so it’s real.
I note that there's precipitation at Mt Boyce at close to 0° so it must be snowing there.

Sean G

Hard Yards
Aug 8, 2019
Yep can confirm. Interestingly we drove down to Govetts Leap about 1km towards the east end of town, the rain shadow effect was noticeable compared to the west side, no settled snow and less precip.

Yeah. We live about halfway between the town and Govetts Leap- we get nice falls but up at, say, the oval, there’s always noticeably more.

Light falls here at the moment.

davidg

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 4, 2009
Lower BM's
Radar looks like plenty more to come down south on the OP around Oberon and Shooters hill. Mt Trickett will be doing well in this setup I reckon. I've snowboarded down the road out there at 1am in my younger stupider days LOL

One of my mates drove up the hill this morning, and whilst there's been some nice falls in the BM's there is also bulk punters. Unfortunately I'm stuck at home with a sick 5y.o and reckon it's going to be chaos by this afternoon. If the snow level really does drop to 6-700m tonight I might go for a cruise to have a look. Snow down to Hazelbrook would be pretty impressive

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass