Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Blue Mtns, 1100M.
GWH up is in full snow tourist mode . Heaps of traffic
Will be much disappoint.
All melted at the moment.
The ridges across Kanimbla Valley towards Hampton and Oberon are still covered and look like they are getting some action.
C375E1E4-AEF6-416A-89DA-975DE7367337.jpeg

davidg

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 4, 2009
Lower BM's
Went for a quick camp and play in the snow near Oberon. Got there yesterday lunch time. Periods of rain and graupel until 1030pm when it finally turned to snow. Was still dumping down when we left late morning
IMG_0362.JPG
IMG_0385.JPG
IMG_0392.JPG
IMG_0393.JPG
IMG_0394.JPG
IMG_0396.JPG
IMG_0401.JPG
IMG_0415.JPG
IMG_0416.JPG
IMG_0426.JPG
IMG_0439.JPG
Brilliant! Where did you camp?

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Artarmon, Sydney North Shore
Well this was quite an event, with serious snow outside the Snowies. There were some decent accumulations in the Central Tablelands (did anywhere get to the predicted 25 cm?). It even got a mention in the BBC World Service, which described it as a “once in 15 year event”.

It was no big deal on the coast - a few days of sunny, windy weather with maxima a couple of degrees below average - but great to see the pictures and reports here.

It looks like it’s over now, apart from some more snow on the Snowies tomorrow. It’ll be a bit cool for a few days before a big warm-up at the end of the week. Maybe the start of Spring.

Northwesterly

Hard Yards
Jul 8, 2019
Stanhope Gardens
Some photos from my snow trip today to Shooters Hill and Oberon.
The snow was up to 30cm deep at the Shooters Hill Cemetery, located just underneath the peak of Shooters Hill 1250m ASL.

Lots of families out at the Oberon Common, even having BBQ in the undercover BBQ areas.
Traffic was horrendous to and from Sydney.

IMG_0092.JPG
IMG_0102.JPG
IMG_0109.JPG
IMG_0118.JPG
IMG_0131.JPG
IMG_0092.JPG

Last edited:

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Well this was quite an event, with serious snow outside the Snowies. There were some decent accumulations in the Central Tablelands (did anywhere get to the predicted 25 cm?). It even got a mention in the BBC World Service, which described it as a “once in 15 year event”.

It was no big deal on the coast - a few days of sunny, windy weather with maxima a couple of degrees below average - but great to see the pictures and reports here.

It looks like it’s over now, apart from some more snow on the Snowies tomorrow. It’ll be a bit cool for a few days before a big warm-up at the end of the week. Maybe the start of Spring.
Interestingly the heaviest snow at my mates house this whole event was this evening.
She's at 1100m asl around 10km from Jindy.
The southerly aspect to the flow helped.

Northwesterly

Hard Yards
Jul 8, 2019
Stanhope Gardens
Well this was quite an event, with serious snow outside the Snowies. There were some decent accumulations in the Central Tablelands (did anywhere get to the predicted 25 cm?)

Yes just under the peak of Shooters Hill had snow to about 30cm.
The remaining snow in Oberon and Mt Lambie was quite patchy by mid to late afternoon, but still great for snow play.
Settled snow on the CT today was around the 1100m mark.

warrie

One of Us
Jun 15, 2008
Sydney
Some photos from my snow trip today to Shooters Hill and Oberon.
The snow was up to 30cm deep at the Shooters Hill Cemetery, located just underneath the peak of Shooters Hill 1250m ASL.

Lots of families out at the Oberon Common, even having BBQ in the undercover BBQ areas.
Traffic was horrendous to and from Sydney.

IMG_0092.JPG
IMG_0102.JPG
IMG_0109.JPG
IMG_0118.JPG
IMG_0131.JPG
IMG_0092.JPG
Terrific pics!! Pity that if even 0.1% of Sydney residents want to snow chase that's 5,000 extra vehicles up the Great Western Hwy at 8 am and it can't cope with that woeful single lane section from Katoomba to Mt Vic. Is Bell's line any better for a speedier trip? Or if you are in the SW suburbs near the M5 it's 1.5 hours at 110 clicks to Marulan then cut across the Tarlo R. to Taralga? As to the 30 cm at Shooters, Ch 7 said 25 cm - but was it upper Blue Mtns? Oh well, maybe another fall or two in Sept as per 2019.

Northwesterly

Hard Yards
Jul 8, 2019
Stanhope Gardens
Is Bell's line any better for a speedier trip?

For me living at Stanhope Gardens it is similar time going both ways but I prefer the Bell’s line of Road to the Great Western Highway. Generally there is less traffic on the Bell’s Line of Road, but yesterday afternoon / evening it was bumper to bumper from Lithgow to Kurrajong Heights. It was at a standstill at Mt Tomah and Bilpin where two lanes merged into one.

My neighbour also went to Shooters Hill yesterday and came back Great Western Highway and said the traffic was horrendous. I got back home two hours before him.

I am glad I took the Bell’s Line of Road to and from Oberon yesterday.

Anyway off to Thredbo next weekend for the real stuff.

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Artarmon, Sydney North Shore
Here is the visible satellite picture for the SE of NSW at 11:30 AM this morning.

Snow 20200824 1130 (enh).jpg

I have enhance the pictured somewhat to bring out more detail. Most of the white you can see is low cloud. It's moving towards the NE and evaporates as it moves North or nears the Divide. However, some of the white (arrowed) is not moving. This would be snow.You can see the Snowy Mountains near the bottom centre, a patch of snow on the Oberon Plateau (around Porters Retreat and SW of Katoomba) and a smaller area on the Barrington Tops (East of Scone).

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass