1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Colorado: 4-11 April

Discussion in 'United States' started by summit_32, Feb 8, 2020.

1. summit_32

summit_32 Hard Yards Ski Pass: Silver

Hi All,

My family is posted to the US (Wash DC) for the next few years. We arrived a few weeks ago after escaping the crazy Canberra summer weather. I haven't had much time to focus on skiing yet but have booked flights to DEN for a week in April during the school break. Our kids are 8 and 12 and have skied the US/Canada quite a bit but always during the Dec/Jan holiday period & this is the end of the season. Whilst I like off-piste the family just loves to cruise the blue runs.

From my research, its probably a choice between Vail or Breck (we have the EPIC pass) as Keystone doesn't get the same amount of snow. A bit concerned about Breck's 9,600ft elevation coming straight from sea level and Vail looks expensive everywhere but i guess its a resort you have to do once?

Also, should we consider staying somewhere off mountain in Avon (BC & Vail) or Dillon (Breck & Keystone) and driving each day. Grateful for your opinions

#1 summit_32, Feb 8, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  2. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I would stay off mountain and drive.
    Are you on the full Epic pass? Telluride? Crested Butte?

3. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Elevation is what makes Summit and Vail County resorts good Spring destinations. Yes, you never can predict how your body will deal with the elevation. Some people are unaffected but many will have at least some level of altitude sickness. Could be a headache for a few days for example. Don’t let it stop you from going though.

4. Joe

Joe Near a silver lining Ski Pass: Gold

Denver's elevation is 5000ft. Sleeping overnight in Denver will acclimate your body to 5000ft before you make the ascent to 9000ft. This two-step altitude adjustment gives your body more time to adjust.

Mister Tee on XC Skis and Summit like this.
  5. Summit

Summit Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

That's where I'd go, 3 or 4 days in each, if the trip was a bit earlier, but Telluride closes 5 April and Crested Butte 12 April.

Ajax, Highlands and Snowmass are still open during those dates.

6. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I assume they don’t want to pay for lift tickets.

7. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I didn’t know they closed so early.

8. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

My daughter and I both suffered for a few days at Breck. We arrived from Jindy where we lived at 1000m. My son from Sydney was fine LOL Neither of us has had an issue before, mine was a killer headache, hers was nausea. All good after a few days.

We overnighted in Denver.

Joe likes this.
  9. Joe

Joe Near a silver lining Ski Pass: Gold

Same, our youngest struggled @ Snowbird 8 years ago aged 10. Base elevation 2365m to 3300m @ the top but fine after 2 days.

On our first day mid morning the instructor laughed when she bent him over to puke, she asked what did you eat before climbing up the mountain this morning.....( we were in transit ), I answered ashamedly with eyes to the ground after supplying it.....:oops:.....McDonalds...I got this :rolleyes:.......LOL...Lesson learned...

10. summit_32

Thanks for the replies - we are on the EPIC Military pass so restricted to the Vail-owned resorts (NOT complaining though!).

If we stay at Avon (elevation 7,400'), we can then ski Vail and BC so that might be a good option. I'm normally an avid planner with everything locked-in 6+ months in advance but i might hold off to the last minute this time and see what options emerge.

#10 summit_32, Feb 8, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  11. JM72

JM72 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

At least you will avoid this!

12. summit_32

Yes - I’m hoping the last week of the season will be more mellow, that is insane!