1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Coming to Australia, need help with the trip.

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by ziggyju, Jan 13, 2016.

1. ziggyju

ziggyju First Runs

Hey everyone, I am Ziggy and I'll be moving to Sydney this February from Europe and I am already planning my first trip to snowboard in Perisher or any other places around Sydney. I was hoping someone would be kind to advise me on basically everything about the trip, I usually snowboard for 5-7 days, so can someone let me know, how much approximately would a ski pass be for 5-7 days, where to look for accommodation and what are the best ways to get to this resort. Sorry for asking so many questions, any little advice will be greatly appreciated and I hope to see you all soon on the slopes.

p.s What would be the best time to snowboard snow/price wise.?

best wishes,
    Ziggy

2. Egbert

Egbert One of Us

June and September will be cheaper for both accommodation and lift tickets. June because the snow may not have arrived in bulk yet. September because it is warming up and the snow is disappearing. Probably about $80 per day for lift tickets for you to budget.

3. ziggyju

ziggyju First Runs

Thanks for the info, do you happen to have some cheaper priced accommodation in mind? and what would be the cheapest way to get there from Sydney? Do people usually use buses?

4. sixty_eight

sixty_eight One of Us

Hi Ziggy.
    Station Resort (not really a resort) might be a good place to start for budget accomm. Jindabyne would be your town for cheaper off snow accommodation. Google Jindabyne accommodation and plenty of options should pop up. If you are travelling solo the youth Hostel might be an option. Both Thredbo and Perisher ski resorts are about 30 mins away by car. Perisher has the Skitube (train) but it is still 20mins away from Jindabyne.
    Car is king for most Thredbo/Perisher snow lovers. I have no experience with transport other than own car.

ziggyju likes this.
  5. Kletterer

Kletterer Thredbo Doughnut Tragic Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Moving from Europe to Sydney to ski in Australia ?

benchives likes this.
  6. Mufts

Mufts Potato Ski Pass: Gold

Have you been to Zurich?

benchives likes this.
  7. sixty_eight

sixty_eight One of Us

Maybe moving to Sydney for whatever reason (and let's be honest, who needs one), but still wants to ski while here.

Ozgirl and ziggyju like this.
  8. cold wombat

cold wombat Twitter Contributer Social Media Mod Ski Pass: Gold

Options are Perisher or Thredbo. Very different places. Long story short:

Perisher: More reliable snow cover for early and late season. Lots more terrain, lots more lifts, more options in foul weather, but not as much vertical. No village.

Thredbo: when its on, this is the place to be. Great village.

Both: Expensive as hell to stay on snow. Budget accommodation options are in Jindabyne.

Car is king. You can get an overnight bus from Sydney (airport or central railway syn), but if there is more than one of you even a rental car will probably be cheaper.

ziggyju likes this.
  9. sixty_eight

sixty_eight One of Us

Perisher is more hip than Thredbo. :out:

10. cold wombat

Don't talk to me about hip at Perisher.

:(

11. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

Old person hip, or exteme young person pelvis?

12. ziggyju

ziggyju First Runs

How early should I start booking the accomm?

And thank you so much for the help!

13. cold wombat

Feels more like old person hip outdone by extreme young person pelvis!

Telemark Phat likes this.
  14. Adamski

Adamski Hard Yards

I'd leave it as late as possible to ensure there's good snow before booking.

Just as an example, last year I booked in March for the last week of July and there was no natural snow on the hill a week prior to my trip. I got lucky that it started snow hard a week out and we had good conditions.

Having said that, as a rule of thum, early August is pretty much high time for Aussie snow conditions so you can book early for dates in early August with a fair amount of certainty for optimal conditions.

15. sixty_eight

sixty_eight One of Us

If you want to board in the first 2 weeks of July (NSW School Holidays) or in August (Peak Season) you may find that accommodation books out earlier than other times. However this might not affect you as these are also the times when prices are high.

16. GlenH

GlenH One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Coach services from Sydney to the Snow have declined in recent years. The Perisher web site includes links to a number of companies who run timetabled services or weekend tours.

In a nutshell, for random travel from Sydney, Greyhound http://greyhound.com.au/ run a daily service during the busiest few months of the season. They put their timetable on their web site closer to the season but usually it is a morning departure from Sydney Central Station and Airport, and a 4pm afternoon departure from Thredbo, so you lose a day travelling down but on the way back can ski most of a day before catching it. This coach also stops in Jindavyne and at the Ski Tube station (Bullocks Flat) where you can transfer to the SkiTube rack railway to reach Perisher.

Limited day-return bus travel is also available from Jindabyne to the ski fields with local operators - refer to Perisher web site.

When travelling from Sydney for a weekend, I use Port Stephens Coaches who run 2 & 3 day packaged tours which stop in parts of north/western Sydney, not the city centre, as they skirt Sydney on their way through from Newcastle a city north of Sydney.

They stay at the Ski Rider, an isolated lodge in Wilsons Valley which is quite close to Perisher and has a free shuttle bus so you can ski a longer day than the Port Stephens Coach actually does.

See: http://www.pscoaches.com.au/Snow-Tours

I hope this helps.

17. Ozgirl

Ozgirl A Local Ski Pass: Gold

18. Dos

Dos One of Us

I did lots of trips with ozsnowadventures in 2012-2013. Great people. Average shared accommodation, except when lucky getting free upgrade to stay at River Inn Thredbo which happened a lot during off peak period.