1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

[Concept] Mt Morgan & Half Moon Peak Ski Resort!

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by Infinity Dawn, Aug 13, 2017.

?

Would you ski here if it was a reality?

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    88.9%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Infinity Dawn

Infinity Dawn One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Hey Everyone!

Straight off the bat I just want to say this is just an idea to get discussion going and all that but we can always hope it happens :D Lets get into it!

Firstly we have to factor out a couple of things

1. Climate Change: This is obviously something that exists all the current resorts even acknowledge it but personally I feel a turn in the tide with the grand solar minimum (solar event that happens every 400 years) about to start changing things up I think we could see a positive turn in snow in Australia yet alone the world, but don’t count on me facts are literally against me.

2. Costs: Money to build lifts is expensive let alone logging services for trees, additionally snowmaking is costly as it requires water and you would probably need to build a dam to catch water.

3. National Parks / Protected Areas: Self-explanatory, the locations I have selected just disregard all regulation for protection. Money can buy land if there is enough, which relates back to costs which we also disregard

So i have been scouting these mountains and for ages i have though how cool would it be to have a resort there, so due to my addiction of snow i had to come up with a map of what the resort would look like:

[​IMG]

Here is its location relative to the region:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

So now we talk realistically...
    Weather related the region dips below 0 most nights from Mid June - Mid September, easily allowing for snowmaking to be done overnight, furthermore a couple of technoalpin snowfactorys would be scattered on popular runs. Water Reserves would provide this water.

In addition the main mountain is 1874 Meters tall which is more then well above the snowline of 1600 meters on a good season...

Location wise the south slopes are obviously going to be more attractive as the sun wont touch them as much but regardless snow will melt.

I could put a ton more effort into this but i would love to see some feedback and other possible locations i could whip up some concept maps on, i love doing the stuff!

Lets make this happen!!

snowgum, Rat trap bindings and rollyz like this.
  2. crackson

crackson A Local Ski Pass: Gold

You need -2 or colder to make snow.

3. NatW

NatW Hard Yards

Attached Files:

4. Telestrom

Telestrom A Local

Better not let VSG see you copy his Crayola (tm) techniques ;-)

skifree and MickM like this.
  5. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Interesting, Ginini would still be the only real possibility IMO. the Corin Forest guys tried for it, but without a road upgrade, and power…..

I remember as a kid going to a tow somewhere, I think it was on Ginini, might have been Franklin though, the old man has slides from it, would have been early 70's, as I started xc skiing there from around 76.

Rat trap bindings likes this.
  6. Telestrom

Telestrom A Local

telecrag likes this.
  7. Telestrom

Telestrom A Local

Majikthise and telecrag like this.
  8. rollyz

rollyz One of Us

Not with a Snowfactory system, which both Buller and Selwyn are now using.

9. rollyz

rollyz One of Us

Hey Infinity, if you have the money, there are still a few blocks of freehold or lease hold a bit further South that range from 1200 to 1850m. You wont have to worry about NP and most have roads to get to. And now with te Snowfactoty systems, you can make snow everyday.

10. Jellybeans

Jellybeans not woke enough Ski Pass: Gold

Freehold above 1800m, show me?

11. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Snowy Plains area?

12. Infinity Dawn

Im going to take to a 3D editor, can someone give me a recommendation of a mountain i should create?

13. Jellybeans

Why? Unless the land is freehold, it's never going to happen.

14. Infinity Dawn

Well can someone show me where to find this free hold land above 1800 Meters? Im doing this for fun but also research for possibilities ill tell you i have a crazy idea that if the government backed with about 5 billion dollars of investment it would turn our alps into a new place with the highest mountain being around 3500M ASL

Rat trap bindings likes this.
  15. crackson

crackson A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Lucy Skied Down Mountain.

16. rollyz

rollyz One of Us

Ok, that 1800m block is gone now, nasty National Parks. I've seen so many lost to NP over the years. But there is still one at 1760m, and quite a few at 1600m. You better get em before NP nicks them. And where are they? Right in front of you on the map.

17. rollyz

rollyz One of Us

Actually, your site idea isn't too bad. If you could do a deal with National Parks, to only have ski runs in the park lands, and all village lodges, shops, services, etc sitting just outside on freehold, it could work. A National Park fee could be added to the lift ticket. More people would invest in the village being freehold with out all the red tape from NPs.

18. Infinity Dawn

Can you show me on a map where these areas are or where to find them at least? Im kinda blind here :p, you seem like you know a fair bit.. thoughts on a field on the central table lands NSW? Snowfactory obviously.

rollyz likes this.
  19. Tanuki

Tanuki Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Solve two problems with one solution!? As the snow level rises, and a consumer society creates more waste with no where to the trash to go you just pile it up on the top of the mountains and cover with cement. Those species that require snow will have a new high altitude refugee. Easy

rollyz likes this.
  20. Infinity Dawn

Aha i wish, im thinking big scale, we all know lake eyre use to be connected to the ocean back when the weather was better, so lets bring that back by building a sea level canal.

Here is the concept:
    [​IMG]
    Here is a close up:
    [​IMG]

So you probably wonder how this would help? Since inland Australia has very high evaporation rates this would assist with generating moisture aka snow, furthermore allowing low pressure systems to pick up a ton of moisture when they travel over this. Additionally cooling down this region dramatically and basically turning the desert into a land of green. The rock that is dug up in the process of this would be used to increase the height of our already existing mountains (Idealy thredbo as it is the optimal position.. no favoritism it basically is flat at the top of the resort so it would be very easy to dump all the rock and build up to 3000M) overall i think a pretty snazy idea. The government could ask BHP to get into gear, rock goes to the mountains and iron/coal sold to china. The land here would have so much farming and agriculture potential that it would be sold for farmers / investment and cover the costs of digging the rock out.

snowgum and rollyz like this.
  21. Jellybeans

You can just call Gina.

rollyz likes this.
  22. Infinity Dawn

Whats that supose to mean?

23. mr

mr Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Im thinking he means gina rhinehart.

You know, mining, lots of money, big trucks, unhappy family and a bad attitude

rollyz and Jellybeans like this.
  24. Jellybeans

Get Gina Rineheart to dump all of her mining dirt on a mountain next to Canberra.

teckel and rollyz like this.
  25. rollyz

rollyz One of Us

Do I have to do all the work work for you? I thought with the maps you presented, you were right on the money in finding these sites. Sometime after reading about the story of Hotham, back around 1997 I was trolling NSW Topo maps and directories, (helps when you worked at the state mapping organisation) and found a few potential sites around NSW, but over time I had watch National Parks snap them up. Information is all on line these days so you can search from the comfort of your own home. Try Google Maps, or better still SIX maps. Have fun trolling around the country side on your screen and see what you can discover. The Yowak valley you are in you will find a few freehold spots in similar height to Selwyn, go further south and you will see many blocks at 1600, one still at 1760, there is even a state forest south of Jindy at 1640 in which you will have a better chance to lease than you would of a National Park. Even the hills near Bredbo (before Cooma) reach 1500 - 1600 south east facing that could provide snow runs. 1300m sites are common everywhere up and down NSW. The Northern Tablelands have a quite a few sites reaching up to 1500m+. I had a lot of fun finding them. The potential to make alternative ski runs is there if you have the money. I could post up screen dumps later on maybe.

26. rollyz

rollyz One of Us

The beauty about these small potential private resorts is that you could charge like only $30 a day ticket which would attract lots of families on tight budgets.

27. Infinity Dawn

Thats exactly what im thinking... and it would be cheap for petrol to as it closer to sydney

28. Infinity Dawn

my issue is i cant find a map that will show where the parks are, you can find images but no interactive ones

29. VSG

VSG Crayon Master Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

I did not put this person up to this.

I swear your honour.

:D

Nice idea.

30. VSG

It was not me. I did not do it. :D

31. VSG

Water is a big issue, as i see you recognise. Many dams around the base of your proposed hill

Wind up top is a big one. Your beginners area on the summit plateau is very exposed to strong winds. The terrain park is similarly exposed. i see why you put them where they are, the terrain is gentler.

A nice idea.

Good to dream, infinity

32. rollyz

rollyz One of Us

The maps you have there are showing the park boundaries, National Parks/ Nature Reserves in Darker green, State Forests in Lighter green. The rest Freehold/Leasehold. Play with SIXmaps it has interactive features will plot up lot boundaries and lot numbers so you can chase down the owners.

33. Majikthise

Majikthise Sage Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

34. VSG

In terms of available 'public '(able to be leased or sold) land, fringing the Nat Parks....
    And including Half Moon/Morgan.
    Plus
    Yaouk Bill Range, to the direct east and south of Morgan...
    Plus Snowy Plain, at the bottom edge of Lake Eucumbene, a few k's east of Jagungal.

All this land is over 1600m... just. East facing slopes with tall timber and snowmaking..........

from sixmaps.

rollyz likes this.
  35. rollyz

rollyz One of Us

Nice work VSG. In the second Pic, on Yowak Bill Range, lot 87 was up for sale a few years ago, yes could build a resort at similar elevation to Selwyn there. And the third pic move a little to the East and you have the highest bit of freehold/leasehold reaching 1760m.

36. rollyz

rollyz One of Us

Also in the 3rd pic, I remember when lot 27 and lot 26 were Leasehold which were reaching 1700, but were snapped up by National Parks.

#36 rollyz, Aug 17, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  37. VSG

Rain shadows. Water storage very very important in both cases. I remember lot 87.... hence me posting the map. I drive past on fishing trips...:D

rollyz likes this.
  38. Rat trap bindings

Rat trap bindings One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I've an idea that will be great..it involves creating a 3600m mountain in the heart of Tassie where the fronts really hit.. the big bucks will be the hiring of the radiation suits as a result of the mountain build..challenges so far
    * my method normally creates a hole not a mountain
    * limited revenue from radiation suits as Taswegians don't need them

39. rollyz

rollyz One of Us

Big Ben on Herd Island is Australia's highest mountain, 2745m asl. An Airport and resort could be built there. Actually would be great for Western Australian Skiiers.

40. Call_me_Ishmael

Call_me_Ishmael One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Bussing the staff in from Hobart everyday would be a killer

41. J0N

J0N First Runs

Money would never buy the freehold land that you have mentioned here. I'm not sure if you have been to Yaouk or are just looking at the maps, it is pristine and it is tranquil when you head up the mountains. It is owned by similar minded people (me being one) that love sking but would never support this. I think the only way this would get up is if the government was involved and the land was compulsorily acquired. My apologies if that sounds heavy, I enjoyed your idea. You have probably been on my property if you have scouted the mountains, please say hello if you are every there.

ecowain and Myazma like this.
  42. teleroo

teleroo still looking for Thredbo in the Park Ski Pass: Gold

Being a Selwyn regular of late and former Canberra based dude, I can confirm the natural snow accumulation drops off quickly north of Kiandra. Even though the elevation is there. Whilst the Spencers Ck snow depths have been holding firm the last 20 odd years, the data from Three Mile Dam near Selwyn shows a fairly strong decline in peak season depth over the last 20 yrs.

43. Rat trap bindings

Rat trap bindings One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Ah the dreams hatched in a Pub many years ago... Tracker included.

Bogong likes this.
  44. snowgum

snowgum One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

The state government would probably block any attempts to develop a small, family friendly mountain be in Vic or NSW, to protect the interests of the big 5.

It would be very subtle but slowly squeeze the enthusiasm from the keenest developer. (Think about the quashing of attempts to return alpine skiing at Cresta on Mount Buffalo).

Free enterprise in Australia loves competition but loves an oligopoly even more. And our Govts. love a happy oligarch.

Bogong likes this.
  45. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I'm not quite so cynical about state governments, but I am cynical about the powers of the environmental lobby to block absolutely everything. While there is a vast amount of nondescript snowgum woodland with no special ecological value inside parks, the more hard line enviro-zealots would scream blue murder about an attempt to even put a club owned rope tow on them.

So, where is a location with good, reliable snow that isn't in a park? Mt Wills cops a heavy snow load every winter, it was recommended to be developed as an alpine resort in a government report and it used to have a couple of ski tows. But its remote location meant that only locals were interested in skiing there, although Tallangatta Ski Club still own a lodge on the mountain.

So while it might not be commercially viable, I'd love to see a plan that VSG (or a pretender to his title) could come up with to build a village and network of lifts on Mt Wills.

malas1 and snowgum like this.
  46. snowgum

snowgum One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

How about a rope tow on Mt McKay? Good snow - Trek in - day only? Separate licence to Falls, leasehold not NP? Already littered with ugly towers and building. Vail wouldn’t get upset. Much?

Bogong likes this.