1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Conditions 9 July LM

Discussion in 'Lake Mountain' started by snowtracks, Jul 9, 2011.

1. snowtracks

snowtracks First Runs

A bit confused about the trail rating system -
    Complete Deep Cover - today the trails were rated Complete and Deep, but in places the snow was showing the tops of grass and/or the colors of mud filtering through. I would personally rate them as Complete, but not Deep.
    Lots of wind blown tree debris over the whole Lake Mountain system, good for practicing side steps and small jumps. Echo Flat, Roysten Upper, the first 500m of Panorama circuit were the pick of the day, with a break from the debris.

2. alpino

alpino Hard Yards

Where did you read 'deep cover' , snowtracks ?

3. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

#3 teckel, Jul 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  4. alpino

alpino Hard Yards

I see. I was looking on their website and I couldn't find that kind of wording in the snow report.

''Deep cover'' ? [​IMG]

#4 alpino, Jul 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  5. carrotdude

carrotdude Hard Yards

LM website has rated all trails except royston lower as excellent, which I think is a bit optimistic

6. teckel

I think the interpretation of 'excellent' is 'complete and deep', and at some point (maybe when picked up by ski.com) has been translated.

7. snowtracks

snowtracks First Runs

The resort is rated as Excellent, based on the snow making on the toboggan slope. If you read the summary, the trails under Skiing and Boarding are Very Good - not Excellent.

The main point is LM should be using a relevant trail assessment - if it isn't really deep, don't call it deep.

Does anyone know what the Deep definition is? 10cm+?

8. alpino

alpino Hard Yards

9. sadcase

sadcase First Runs

I was at LM on Sunday and it was by far the worst conditions I have endured. The debris over the trails was substantial, there was not too many stretches of trail that where clear. It was very windy resulting in snow being blown of the tops of the trees on a regular basis. I am not talking wind blown powder but big chunks of snow that judging by the sound they made when they hit the ground would have caused a lot of damage if not a KO if you where to suffer a direct hit.

Add to that it was drizzling with rain the whole time we where there. Bit of a shame as I introduced one of my downhill buddies to cross country for the first time. He has been around the snow long enough not to judge this discipline on this particular outing though.

So the whole time we where there we got drenched had to doge twigs and logs at every corner and run the risk of being KOed just by being on the trails. It reminded me a bit like playing AFL and running back with the flight of the ball. You know you have to keep going but you are also acutely aware that if you number comes up it aint gonna be pretty.

10. teckel

If it weren't for the debris, it would be the makings of a nice base. Of course, Black Saturday is responsible for all the twigs and branches being blown onto the tracks, and this will no doubt continue for some years whenever there are strong winds. Imo, they need some sort of program to clean up the debris, otherwise spring skiing will be pretty sad, when all the debris is exposed again.

11. weerab

weerab One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

That doesn't sound too good, I'm surprised it was raining on Sunday, it was fairly cool in Melbourne. I was planning on a trip up this Saturday, hope there is some fresh stuff to cover the litter,

#11 weerab, Jul 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
  12. carrotdude

carrotdude Hard Yards

That doesn't sound too good, I'm surprised it was raining on Sunday, it was fairly cool in Melbourne. I was planning on a trip up this Saturday, hope there is some fresh stuff to cover the litter, [/quote]
    There probably won't be any new snow before the weekend

13. snowtracks

snowtracks First Runs

From Weerab's report, it matches the conditions also last Saturday, despite the resort rating of Excellent - probably the worst I have seen for debris on the trails there also, a very unpleasant day's skiing. I figure "Complete and Deep" refered to the debris rather than the snow.
    Tomorrow's resort rating is also Excellent, but after the misplaced same rating of last week, I'm reluctant to trust the snow ratings - LM is a great resort when the snow is good, but I've lost faith in the overstating of conditions. To management of LM - just tell it as it is> under promise over deliver and they will return.

14. teckel

Resort staff have been out all week clearing the debris. Whenever there is wind the dead burnt branches are blowing over the trails. Not much more they can do than clean up the debris once it's fallen. Apparently today, there were also big chunks of ice on the trails blown from the trees.

15. MattyP

MattyP Hard Yards

Went up last Thursday (July 14th) for tobogganing with the family & friends - it was fantastic - weather & snow. Not too busy either even though it was school hols. Looked like it would have been rather pleasant out doing a bit of XC, but I was getting extreme on the toboggan with my 6yo & 3yo's.

Thanks to teckel too for help fitting out our the entire group. Great service & very good quality gear for both adults & little tackers.

Matt

16. Tony Whitmarsh

Tony Whitmarsh First Runs

Can't find the post I was looking for, but someone complained about the signage on LM, and in regard to the starting point I have to agree. You get signposted to the snowshoe trail, but there is no indication that that is also the ski trail entrance, so you're left wondering where the route to the ski trails actually is. Great skiing though last Wednesday when I came up with my son. we had fantastic weather and snow conditions, so much more enjoyable than the previous Thursday when arctic conditions prevailed. Still, the snow has to come down some time!