1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Confused about package dates

Discussion in 'Charlotte Pass' started by solmanic, Jul 21, 2011.

1. solmanic

solmanic First Runs

I have seen a few posts about package times, but need to lay out my confusion in the hope that someone can clarify things...

So there are three basic durations of weekly package on offer:
    3 day week-end
    6 day mid-week and
    8 day weekly

Looking back over the last three years of booking forms I note that CPV has stated you may only purchase a 6 day package if you arrive Sunday and depart Friday. Now for years I have only ever purchased the 6 day mid-week package but have always booked 7 nights accommodation arriving and departing Saturday. I never get up to the resort before about 4pm and always leave by 9am so it has never been an option to ski on the days I arrive & depart. Consequently I have never considered purchasing an 8 day package thereby paying for two days skiing I can't use.

I have always booked my oversnow more than two weeks prior to arriving and noone has queried the fact that my packages have been 6 day instead of the required 8 day. However last year I knew people who were forced to upgrade or told that their tickets would be available at the Perisher terminal the day after they arrive (ie. Sunday) and they would have to pay to take an oversnow back down there to pick them up! WTF?

Interestingly it is still cheaper to pay for oversnow separately and purchase a 6 day lift ticket than an 8 day package with oversnow included. Another interesting thing I noticed last year was that for people skiing the first week of the "super-saver" season, the 8 day package starting on Friday or Saturday would have them paying standard-season rates because the value season started on Sunday. I wonder how many people got caught out by this?

What I want to know is how many other people are buying 6 day packages but still travelling in and out on Saturday (or some other day prior to the required Sunday arrival day)? Also, is this restriction now being enforced or were the reports I got from people about this due to last year's general SNAFU where CPV seemed to punish customers for daring to patronise their resort?

Like people have pointed out in other threads, CPV packages seem to be majorly disconnected from the accommodation packages on offer at the lodges and the reality of when people actually arrive and depart the resort - assuming they can get in or out when they plan to in the first place.

#1 solmanic, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2013
  2. Nidecker

Nidecker One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

[​IMG] - It does appear better this year

#2 Nidecker, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
  3. jrr

jrr Hard Yards

Some random observations, current & historical...

Back in the old days we (non-Chalet Hotel guests) had two choices of ticket, daily or weekly. The Weekly ticket was an 8 day Saturday to Saturday or Sunday to Sunday & cost about 5 1/2 x Day ticket price.

Day ticket price was set at Thredbo / Perisher price. I don't see this as unfair actually... To me the uncrowded slopes & minimal lift queues translated to a CP day ticket being better value. YMMV

As changeover day for the clubs is Saturday, naturally you bought a sat-sat 8 day ticket. In decent seasons it was the best option for the keen skier...

Saturday is club changeover day to keep out of the Cchalet primary changeover days of Friday & Sunday

10, maybe 15 years ago, they offered the 'mid-week' Sunday to Friday 6 day tickets for pre-purchase to the clubs. That lasted one season only as too many people (in the opinion of the Village management) took up the offer ;-) It was not intended that club members coming up for a week (Sat to Sat) would purchase this ticket, but of course, they did in droves.

The Chalet accomodation options being 3 day / 2 night Fri - Sun, 6 day / 5 night Sun - Fri and 8 day / 7 night Sun - Sun are what drives the lift ticket options you refer to.

I don't think it's particularly un-reasonable, albeit, I think it should be explained properly...

4. toxicfox

toxicfox Hard Yards

Last year I was able to book a 6 day (arriving Sat - depart Fri) but i had to purchase an extra oversnow for the Sat. Because of travel connections we didn't go up till last cat on Saturday anyway so the Sat-Sat package would have been a waste. With oversnow booked out for day trippers early, and luggage bans on the skitube till late morning most of us will rarely get to the lodge before the afternoon anyway, then unpack, tune skis, relax with a beer - then the lifts are shut.
    Someone I know arrives Saturday then goes into the office Sunday morning to get their package, where they apply the seniors discount.
    It still bothers me that CPV is the only place I have skied where you cant buy a 5 from 6, or 6 from 7 day lift package??? The 'bonus' day they offer doesn't work for me.

5. solmanic

solmanic First Runs

Based on the prices I can see that an 8 day package is really a 7 from 8 day, and a 6 day package is actually a 5 from 6 day anyway. I guess CPV just doesn't see any point in stopping people from skiing the extra day (as if they would bother checking the tickets) since very few people actually ski for every hour of every day whilst they're there.

6. toxicfox

toxicfox Hard Yards

the problem is with the packages - especially the 6 day- is it's not geared to the Lodges. Whilst you are right to a point, the 'bonus' day is wasted due to transport and other issues. A 6 from 7 day at other resorts do not have to be consecutive days skiing. I like the idea of a 5 from 6 or 6 from 7, somedays it rains in Aus, so you wont ski. Or alot like to do a small trip to the main range for a day while at CP (one of the good points staying there).

7. Sago

Sago Hard Yards

The other alternative is if you are arriving late Sat and leaving earlier following Sat(Sun also) is to only buy transport and then but day tickets.This works out better if it is a bad day or 2 and your not a fair weather skier you then don't feel compeled to ski if a package has been bought.
    Downside you have to go to ticket office and but daily tickets.The wait in the ticket office Sunday morning alone could put you off this suggestion.
    This week for example you may have only bought 2-3 day tickets which would have put you mile in front of any package.

8. Sago

Sago Hard Yards

Sorry meant to say "only a fair weather skier"
    Some days this year have been only for the extreme skier so day tickets would have been a better option.

9. solmanic

solmanic First Runs

Well it all worked out yet again. I bought a 6-day package in March then rang and booked oversnow two weeks before going (as required). They didn't question it at all and didn't charge me extra. Might have had something to do with the computers going down when I turned up at Perisher but they read back my package details over the phone when I booked the transport so it's not as if they didn't know.

...however...

One lady who was horribly sick and injured with a young daughter in our lodge was charged $10 to change to an earlier oversnow out.