Connection problem (16 August, 2020)

Chookfooter

Cranky Curmudgeon
Ski Pass
May 11, 2020
Ok, you are back on air. When I'm connecting on the NBN it won't connect, but when I connect via the mobile network no problem. What gives. Both Telstra.

---------------------------------
Admin Edit:

Answer: The solution is time. We were forced to change our DNS settings during recovery of the weekend site crash, expect intermittent connectivity issues until about Tuesday or Wednesday (18/19 Aug) depending on your Internet Service Provider.

If on a home network it *may* help to reboot your pc or mobile device. We do not recommend rebooting your modem/router as it is less likely to help.

The answer as to why the solution is time (in detail for layfolk), is here below.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
Alpine the dark side of snowboarding
That's ok
I need to go to bed early for a change

Someone more technical than me can quality check this if you wish :) but I believe the gist of it will be correct "in laymans terms"

If what happened is what I think happened, basically the "phone number" that your computer uses when you type ski.com.au into your browser has been changed.

ie: You type ski.com.au, you computer says you dummy, you really want me to find 13.237.67.13 ---- .

So the computer asks your ISP via perhaps your switch and your router to find that number.
Now you can imagine with all the websites in the world, this could take a long time, so your computer / router / ISP "cache" or remember some of the numbers (websites) you visit, for faster access for you.

Imagine the website ski.com.au is say 10 machines (routers) away from your computer, each of those will still have the "old" telephone number "cached" ie: stored in its memory.

The trouble comes when someone changes that telephone number 10 machines away, all the machines between you and the new number need to get it before you do.

The number can be forced to update more quickly across these machines than say the current 24 hours that it was set at, by a protocol called "Time to Live" or TTL. But you need to change the TTL before you make site changes. I suspect this one was a bit unplanned. :) You could say make the TTL 1 hour to force it to propagate across all those 10 routers more quickly.

Anyway, as I type this, you probably have access again, because the new "telephone number" will have spread across the internet, and your computer will now find the new one when you type "ski.com.au" rather than the old one, which would have had no web pages to be returned to you.

I understand that the timing of all of this is not an exact to the second science. :)

Hope this helps your understanding of the internet a little more, and is technically accurate enough.

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

but a dream within a dream
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaltown
Too hard to answer right now. Easier to wait a few hours. Sorry.
on my previous modem it was easier to make the change on its webpage
it was from Telstra - Hutchison originally, I think
current one is Smartmodem, also from Telstra
not sure who makes it
it seems they don’t want average punters to change too many settings

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
Alpine the dark side of snowboarding
on my previous modem it was easier to make the change on its webpage
it was from Telstra - Hutchison originally, I think
current one is Smartmodem, also from Telstra
not sure who makes it
it seems they don’t want average punters to change too many settings

Your modem "how too" I would download and save, not sure how long it will sit on that site.

Although there is no option to change the DNS settings on the Smart Modem. Telstra has done this because it relies on the DNS to block certain sites that ISP are required to block by law. Telstras parental controls also don't work if another DNS is used.

The only way to use a different DNS is to set it up on individual devices. If you only set up a IPv4 DNS on a device IPv6 has to be disabled in the modem or the IPv6 DNS will overide the DNS settings on the device. To disable IPv6 in the modem log into modem and go to Advanced > Local Network > IPv6 LAN state and remove tick.

Reactions: cold wombat

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
Your modem "how too" I would download and save, not sure how long it will sit on that site.

Although there is no option to change the DNS settings on the Smart Modem. Telstra has done this because it relies on the DNS to block certain sites that ISP are required to block by law. Telstras parental controls also don't work if another DNS is used.

The only way to use a different DNS is to set it up on individual devices. If you only set up a IPv4 DNS on a device IPv6 has to be disabled in the modem or the IPv6 DNS will overide the DNS settings on the device. To disable IPv6 in the modem log into modem and go to Advanced > Local Network > IPv6 LAN state and remove tick.
Bugger. What a horrible thing to do!

Reactions: currawong

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
Someone more technical than me can quality check this if you wish :) but I believe the gist of it will be correct "in laymans terms"

If what happened is what I think happened, basically the "phone number" that your computer uses when you type ski.com.au into your browser has been changed.

ie: You type ski.com.au, you computer says you dummy, you really want me to find 13.237.67.13 ---- .

So the computer asks your ISP via perhaps your switch and your router to find that number.
Now you can imagine with all the websites in the world, this could take a long time, so your computer / router / ISP "cache" or remember some of the numbers (websites) you visit, for faster access for you.

Imagine the website ski.com.au is say 10 machines (routers) away from your computer, each of those will still have the "old" telephone number "cached" ie: stored in its memory.

The trouble comes when someone changes that telephone number 10 machines away, all the machines between you and the new number need to get it before you do.

The number can be forced to update more quickly across these machines than say the current 24 hours that it was set at, by a protocol called "Time to Live" or TTL. But you need to change the TTL before you make site changes. I suspect this one was a bit unplanned. :) You could say make the TTL 1 hour to force it to propagate across all those 10 routers more quickly.

Anyway, as I type this, you probably have access again, because the new "telephone number" will have spread across the internet, and your computer will now find the new one when you type "ski.com.au" rather than the old one, which would have had no web pages to be returned to you.

I understand that the timing of all of this is not an exact to the second science. :)

Hope this helps your understanding of the internet a little more, and is technically accurate enough.

Sorta but not quite.

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

but a dream within a dream
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaltown

I have that document - an unofficial guide
Telstra Smartmodem comes with minimal instructions so that people won’t fiddle with them
mine works fine, better than the previous model of which I had three duds before I got one that worked

Reactions: Nidecker

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
Well close enough for the layfolk.
It triggered me! Prolly of no use except to satisfy my own sense of pedantry, but I started writing a more accurate layman's description. When I get a few moments I'll finish and post it.

Reactions: Nidecker

D-eye

Photographer and skier
Ski Pass
Jan 21, 2001
Canberra
deyephotography.com
If on windows you are still not seeing the site properly, this might help.

Open a command prompt - right click on the start button and there should be an option to choose command prompt
upload_2020-8-17_16-43-43.png

else left click on start and type "cmd" and choose command prompt

when that window opens type

ipconfig /flushdns

hit enter, wait for it to finish, close the window, go to your browser and try to access the site.
There is an outside chance you may then need to press Ctrl and F5 at the same time a few times for the page to load.

hipo

One off
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2011
here and there
Before trying to flush the DNS, just try typing "ski.com.au" into your browser address bar - Do NOT use a favourite or bookmark.
If that works, delete any existing fav or bookmark and re-enter the bookmark.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass