Considering moving to Hotham

Farcanaussie

First Runs
May 5, 2021
I have just been offered a year round job at Mount Hotham, very satisfied with the salary on offer and could comfortably live off it.

At this late stage I am struggling to find any kind of long term accommodation in surrounding Suburbs aside from Tawonga South, Porepunkah or Myrtleford - all of which seem way too far and a challenging drive away to do daily.

I can get into staff housing for Winter which I guess would be my best option. Just wondering if anyone here has worked for Hotham or has experience with this? And secondly anyone had experience in trying to find a longer term rental in the surrounding nearby suburbs, obviously Dinner Plain would be ideal but sounds challenging to get into...

I have never been to Hotham as when I was 20 I moved to Whistler and lived there for 9 years. Missing the mountain life and thinking of dumping my Inner City apartment for the mountains again.... So any tips on moving to the area for the first time would be appreciated.

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
As above, DP. But most likely more expensive. The other locations are townships, not suburbs, and access would be more challenging. Good luck, have a good season.

Reactions: Chaeron

Farcanaussie

First Runs
May 5, 2021
Had a quick look online which has resulted in nothing so as much as I would love to find a place there without being there that seems to be a challenge...

emkae

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 6, 1998
Melbourne
Wouldn’t there be quite a number of private apartments at Hotham sitting unoccupied during periods outside of winter?

Sounds like winter is ok for you?

Reactions: currawong

cookieman

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 7, 2013
Melbourne
Dinner plain, try High Plains lodge otherwise all the accommodation services . Maybe shared house.

Minion

Hard Yards
Mar 24, 2015
Take the staff accom option for this season then see what you can find longer term, if you have been offered accom you are already ahead of many people this year. Plenty of staff live on Mtn in winter and then do the commute to Harrietville/Bright/Porepunkah during the rest of the year. Long term rental in the valley towns is extremely hard to come by like most tourist destinations at the moment. Living on Mtn in summer is very quiet but there is also a bunch of great people between Hotham and DP so just depends what you are looking for.

Reactions: skifree

Farcanaussie

First Runs
May 5, 2021
Take the staff accom option for this season then see what you can find longer term, if you have been offered accom you are already ahead of many people this year. Plenty of staff live on Mtn in winter and then do the commute to Harrietville/Bright/Porepunkah during the rest of the year. Long term rental in the valley towns is extremely hard to come by like most tourist destinations at the moment. Living on Mtn in summer is very quiet but there is also a bunch of great people between Hotham and DP so just depends what you are looking for.
Yeah I think that will be the plan. Whistler was the most brutal property market I've seen do I've got a good understanding of how hard it can be. But once you're in the community and make some connections you can often find something. Having to give up another really good employment opportunity so it's a bit of a nervous decision but ultimately I can't wait to be back in the mountains!

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Yeah I think that will be the plan. Whistler was the most brutal property market I've seen do I've got a good understanding of how hard it can be. But once you're in the community and make some connections you can often find something. Having to give up another really good employment opportunity so it's a bit of a nervous decision but ultimately I can't wait to be back in the mountains!
Whistler is in the valley, so I can see how you'd think that Mt Hotham might have "suburbs". But Hotham Heights is almost at the TOP of the mountain, and there's lots of winding road on the Harrietville side, which is sometimes blocked during a winter storm. So staying on that side and commuting would be a pain everyday, and sometimes not even possible. I was there once when it was blocked for 5 consecutive days.
The Omeo side is rarely blocked, and it's down this road that you have Dinner Plain. (between Hotham and Dinner Plain 10.5km, and there are cross country trails between the two). Omeo is 57km from Hotham.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Whistler is in the valley, so I can see how you'd think that Mt Hotham might have "suburbs". But Hotham Heights is almost at the TOP of the mountain, and there's lots of winding road on the Harrietville side, which is sometimes blocked during a winter storm. So staying on that side and commuting would be a pain everyday, and sometimes not even possible. I was there once when it was blocked for 5 consecutive days.
The Omeo side is rarely blocked, and it's down this road that you have Dinner Plain. (between Hotham and Dinner Plain 10.5km, and there are cross country trails between the two). Omeo is 57km from Hotham.
I was also going to say that omeo would be a good alternative if you can't get accom at dinner plain. It is also less popular as a quick getaway destination outside ski season

I'd also be very surprised if you couldn't get an apartment at hotham outside ski season. the place is a ghost town. someone must be happy to get extra income

Reactions: Sandy
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass