Surf Cooks Endeavour Journal

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
Found this interesting resource.
Threadworthy for the ocean lovers and historians amongst us.
Not everybody will be a fan tho .

On This Day: 22 April 1770 Captain Cook aboard the Endeavour passes Ulladulla and Pigeon House

default.jpg

http://southseas.nla.gov.au/journals/cook/17700422.html
http://southseas.nla.gov.au/journals/cook/contents.html
https://collections.lib.uwm.edu/digital/collection/agdm/id/1090/rec/5

edit : Yes I do realise date was yesterday ;)

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
Coastal suburban boonies.
All the stuffing around answers one question I have always wondered about. How did he chart the coast that he passed at night? The answer is that he ponced around in almost the same place for days.

Reactions: skifree
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
That's another thing that baffles me about Cook. First landing at Botany Bay. Second landing at The Town of 1770. How could he resist having a poke around at many more sites?

Reactions: nfip

Zimbooo

One of Us
Nov 20, 2017
Maybe the map was drawn like that because he was looking at it from a northern hemisphere perspective - (everything upside down and around about). Low pressure / high pressure systems spinning winds the opposite way, all would have been very confusing etc. LOL

Reactions: qwill

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Amazing how many of the names have stuck.
While most of Cooks names stuck, a few didn't. One of the moat notable is Point Hicks on the coast near Cann River in Victoria. It was named after Lt. Zachary Hicks, the first person to spot the east coast of Australia after HMS Endeavour had sailed across from New Zealand. However it was later renamed Cape Everard. But on the 200th anniversary Point Hicks was reinstated in honour of the first westerner to see the east coast of this country.

One thing that saddened me is that formal plans to celebrate the 250th anniversary of that world changing voyage were cancelled last year, well before the present contagion, because a celebration might allegedly offend aborigines. Now I reckon every aboriginal person has come to terms with western settlement of Australia by now, so wasn't cancelling commemoration of the voyage just a little bit precious and overly P.C.?

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
While most of Cooks names stuck, a few didn't. One of the moat notable is Point Hicks on the coast near Cann River in Victoria. It was named after Lt. Zachary Hicks, the first person to spot the east coast of Australia after HMS Endeavour had sailed across from New Zealand. However it was later renamed Cape Everard. But on the 200th anniversary Point Hicks was reinstated in honour of the first westerner to see the east coast of this country.

One thing that saddened me is that formal plans to celebrate the 250th anniversary of that world changing voyage were cancelled last year, well before the present contagion, because a celebration might allegedly offend aborigines. Now I reckon every aboriginal person has come to terms with western settlement of Australia by now, so wasn't cancelling commemoration of the voyage just a little bit precious and overly P.C.?

This. Needs to be acknowledged for what it was. An awesome bit of exploration. These guys had real balls sailing off into the unknown for years at a time.

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Cook was drawing a map, so he starts drawing in a corner. where coast goes is where it goes on the page.

If your very finite supply of paper is rectangular and the coast is hinting North South you draw with NS in the long direction on the paper.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

MisterMxyzptlk

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Mar 12, 2002
That's another thing that baffles me about Cook. First landing at Botany Bay. Second landing at The Town of 1770. How could he resist having a poke around at many more sites?
Isn't there some evidence suggesting there may be another "secret" journal kept solely for Admiralty eyes only?
Can't recall the article but a suggestion he may have gone overland and mapped Sydney Harbour while in Botany Bay which is the reason it was the destination for the First Fleet and kept secret from the ship's crew

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
Isn't there some evidence suggesting there may be another "secret" journal kept solely for Admiralty eyes only?
Can't recall the article but a suggestion he may have gone overland and mapped Sydney Harbour while in Botany Bay which is the reason it was the destination for the First Fleet and kept secret from the ship's crew
And? First landing Botany Bay, where he spent several weeks. Second landing at 1770. My bafflement is undiminished.

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
And? First landing Botany Bay, where he spent several weeks. Second landing at 1770. My bafflement is undiminished.
Agreed Legs.
Too many opportunities for food and water along the way.
Tho they lacked the Roo dogs straight off the boat.
See above .

Zimbooo

One of Us
Nov 20, 2017
I just hope Cook didn’t have live animals for consumption on board........

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
I just hope Cook didn’t have live animals for consumption on board........
he/they did.
tho was not sufficient for the new colony.
hence the need to provide.
protein by way of kangaroo.
the guns where not accurate for the purpose.
bring in the dogs.
then breed the dogs ( wolfhound/greyhound x/ for purpose of feeding the colony.

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
he/they did.
tho was not sufficient for the new colony.
hence the need to provide.
protein by way of kangaroo.
the guns where not accurate for the purpose.
bring in the dogs.
then breed the dogs ( wolfhound/greyhound x/ for purpose of feeding the colony.
Sorry I missed the jump from Cook to Colony, was there one?

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
Fark. Where did this thread go...?
I was hoping along the lines of the colonisation, and settlement of NSW .
and further Aus.
I sadly accept the traditional land owners have been culturally and environmentally raped .
This land was far better before "we" arrived. :cry:
Don't blame our indigenous folk for their anger.
Heading towards bear pit territory tho...

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
Sorry I missed the jump from Cook to Colony, was there one?
yes. in a nut shell.
IMO.
Cook arrived ..
no food for the new colony.
Kangaroo = meat
Guns where completely innacurate.
so the dogs where the method to capture/kill.
the dogs that came over with Cook where not built for the purpose.
hence the breeding of the Roo dogs was necessary.
and on it goes to the settlement of Tasmania.

Reactions: POW Hungry

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
yes. in a nut shell.
IMO.
Cook arrived ..
no food for the new colony.
Kangaroo = meat
Guns where completely innacurate.
so the dogs where the method to capture/kill.
the dogs that came over with Cook where not built for the purpose.
hence the breeding of the Roo dogs was necessary.
and on it goes to the settlement of Tasmania.
Unm Cook came and left.

Then came a colony, quite separate events only linked by Banks gushing report about how good Botany Bay was which prompted the poms to select that as the first site for the colony while it was still in London.

Reactions: nfip

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
Unm Cook came and left.

Then came a colony, quite separate events only linked by Banks gushing report about how good Botany Bay was which prompted the poms to select that as the first site for the colony while it was still in London.
true too.
my bad.
I'm not so aware on the timeline.
hence my " in a nutshell" for sake of generalising in my post.
edit : more thought = was later, 1788 the first fleet arrived .

Last edited:
Reactions: skifree

Fozzie Bear

Where's my flapping ears gone.....
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
Actually, an interesting discussion @Bogong, but really required input from the indigenous perspective. I didn't really get what land rights were about until maybe 20 years ago, when I heard a very interesting and engaging talk by an aboriginal woman who explained the importance of country. It wasn't about ownership, it was about connection. A different value system that is at odds with what we have imposed over the land.

Last edited:

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
They don't love Cook. Thats for sure.
Where as the relationship with Maori and other polynesians is completely different.

The view and treatment of aborigines illustrated in the recent book Truganini was not that new to me but it is the most recent thing I've read on the topic. Worth are read and reflection. This story is the tip of the iceberg of treatment dished out since 1788 and many would argue still continues.

Truganini.JPG

sbm_

One of Us
Ski Pass
Dec 10, 2017

I reckon given how far out they were, you'd be damn picky about where you tried to land. Not on a surf beach. No bar crossings or unknown rivers either. That leaves proper natural harbours and estuaries that are clearly visible from the ocean. From Point Hicks you'd see what - Eden, Batemans bay, Jarvis Bay, the bays in the Sydney region, then Port Stephens...then not much to the Queensland. Isn't that more or less what he charted?

In that journal it mentions they passed Jarvis bay but the wind was offshore, and he didn't want to spend the time tacking in.

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
In that journal it mentions they passed Jarvis bay but the wind was offshore, and he didn't want to spend the time tacking in.

This was my understanding as well. And he was keen to get underway as they spent some time in Botany Bay and did need to get cracking.

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
If he passed Jervis Bay after Botany Bay he does not deserve his reputation as a navigator.

Depending on wind and swell direction there are lots of little corners to tuck into.
I was wondering if anyone would pick up my slip there.

The Journal reference I was think of was Port Jackson which I think he noted as a possible harbour but did not enter.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass