Cooks Endeavour Journal

Discussion in 'Surf & Marine' started by nfip, Apr 23, 2020.

1. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

SHould have sent the drone up. Silly bugger.

W0nkey D0nkey, nfip, piolet and 4 others like this.
  2. snow drive solutions

snow drive solutions Hard Yards Ski Pass: Silver

This clipping is from the April 25 issue of The Australian Digital Edition - Saturday, 25 Apr 2020 - Page 17

The landmark endeavour that shook up the world

James Cook’s landfall at Botany Bay 250 years ago ushered in the birth of modern Australia
    There were two meanings James Cook could have drawn from the name of his battered and indefatigable vessel, Endeavour. Two hemispheres of thinking for a man who was sailing deep into a geographical hemisphere that remained terrifyingly unknown. The first meaning spoke of the endeavour laid before him by King George III: to observe and report on the transit of Venus and then to sail southward to find a continent that existed in imagination but not in ink. An attempt at something truly grand. A bold plan of action. A most remarkable endeavour.

The second meaning spoke of deeper things. Heart things. Courage things. It spoke of the will to exert oneself. The urge to strive for greater understanding, of the world and of ourselves. To navigate the extreme and document the impossible. To sail a frumpybottomed coal boat on an unparalleled three-year voyage of discovery, carrying 94 people and 18 months of provisions, across a distance of 30,000 miles. To explore . To enlighten. To endeavour.

On Wednesday, April 29, our nation will commemorate the 250th anniversary of the day Cook made landfall at Botany Bay. Across the coming week we will recognise and reflect on the birth of modern Australia. A perilous endeavour of a different kind, some would say, in a nation divided between those who see Cook’s epic voyage of discovery as the foundation stone that the thriving multicultural melting pot that is our modern Australia was built upon and those who see that historic Botany Bay landfall as the first chapter in the story of Aboriginal dispossession.

These are treacherous waters to navigate but we are, collectively, endeavouring to find our way through. To find our greater understanding. To find our common ground between British ships and native shorelines. It was only three years ago that we woke to reports of vandals spray-painting slurs across city statues of Cook. These acts of vandalism spoke as much about the hurt that Cook represents for many Australians as they did about an alarming lack of understanding of Cook’s contributions to our world and the compassion and care with which he walked on to the sands of Botany Bay that fateful day.

This is a titan of exploration and achievement who we remember this week. This is a man possessed of a rare enlightenment that followed him to every corner of the globe. This is a man of breathtaking courage who, by the end of the journey in which he reached our shimmering shores, redefined what we humans knew of mathematics, navigation, geology , geography, botany, psychology , nutrition, astronomy, medicine, cartography and languages . This is a man who found and charted half a world that half of the world did not know. We don’t have to heroise this man and we don’t have to glorify him but we should damn well remember him; in statues, in books, in schools and most certainly in week-long 250th anniversaries. And as we recall the thrilling, edge-of-the-seat , nailbiting , against-all-odds story of Endeavour , we also should recall the oral histories and the campfire histories of indigenous Australians and the story of autumn 1770 as remembered by those who watched from the shore as that unflagging vessel made its way up this vast island’s east coast.

Cook’s instructions from his king that day on Botany Bay were clear: “You are likewise to observe the Genius, Temper, Disposition and Number of the Natives, if there be any, and endeavour by all proper means to cultivate a Friendship and Alliance with them, making them presents of such Trifles as they may Value, inviting them to Traffick, and Shewing them every kind of Civility and Regard.”

Cook was cautious that day as his pinnace approached the shoreline . Dangerous encounters on the shorelines of New Zealand were fresh in his memory. He saw two natives with spears, an older man and a younger man, at the edge of the water suggesting through their language and their gestures that Cook and the men in the pinnace — including legendary botanist Joseph Banks — would do best to row back to the wide-bottomed coal boat bobbing behind them.

Cook wrote in his journal: “We then threw them some nails, beads ashore which they took up and seem’d not ill pleased with in so much that I thought that they beckon’d to us to come ashore but in this we were mistaken for as soon as we put the boat in they again came to oppose us, upon which I fired a musket between the two which had no other effect than to make them retire back where bundles of their darts lay and one of them took up a stone and threw at us which caused my firing a second musket load with small shott and although’ some of the shott struck the man yet it had no other effect than to make him lay hold of a Shield or target to defend himself . Emmediatly after this we landed which we had no sooner done than they throw’d two darts at us. This obliged me to fire a third shott soon after which they both made off, but not in such haste but what we might have taken one, but Mr Banks being of opinion that the darts were poisoned made me cautious how I advanced into the woods.”

Hardly the warmest of welcomes and perfectly understandable behaviour from the men on shore who were most likely accustomed to strangers making respectful prior arrangements before crossing into their country.

Such miscommunications weighed heavily on Cook. His incredibly detailed Endeavour journal is filled with moments where he’s regretting the impact of his arrival on island communities, be it from unintended slights of native leaders or the possibility of his men spreading STDs to native women. The man who so rarely shared his emotions shared most profoundly when writing of these moments.

This week is a chance for us all to rewind to April 1770 and drill deeper into these events that had such dramatic ripple effects on who we are in April 2020.

As expected, anniversary plans have been drastically altered by the grip of COVID-19 but there are still many valuable ways to explore both sides of this story this week.

The National Museum of Australia , the Australian National Maritime Museum and the National Library of Australia all offer online resources and exhibitions that build on the growing “view from the ship, view from the shore” approach to recalling the Endeavour voyage. The National Museum’s online exhibition, Endeavour Voyage, for just one example , explores the 126 days Cook and his crew travelled up the east coast of Australia, from Point Hicks in southern Victoria to Cape York, Queensland.

They have worked tirelessly to collaborate with indigenous communities right along that east coast to uncover and share with the world the stories of the descendants of those who looked out from their homelands to see that trusty coal carrier pushing along the sea.

They are sometimes heartbreaking and sometimes heartening stories and they are helping us to find that sense of understanding , connection and human betterment that defined every mile of Cook’s most remarkable endeavour.

cold wombat, southpaw, nfip and 2 others like this.
  3. shark

shark A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Thanks for this. Downloaded and have been enjoying it. Such a likeable fellow. Sam that is.

Donzah likes this.
  4. POW_hungry

POW_hungry Part of the Furniture Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Have been looking for it, we'd you get it from?

5. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Looks like Foxtel unfortunately.

POW_hungry likes this.
  6. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah I'm watching it again.
    It's great.

7. Donzah

It's on DVD as well.... So I'm sure it's out there.

POW_hungry likes this.
  8. shark

Tupaia sounds like he was quite a statesman. The world (in our corner) might have been quite different if he wasn't able to negotiate their way out of sticky situations, particularly in NZ. Compelling stuff.

skifree and Donzah like this.
  9. MisterMxyzptlk

MisterMxyzptlk Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

You're not a Peaky Blinders fan eh

shark likes this.
  10. Donzah

Indeed. It's quite incredible.

shark likes this.
  11. shark

I found it hard to get, and I'm yet to find ep 5. 4 and 6 were the only ones I could find in 720p, the others in 480. Sonarr with various usenet indexers and Jackett for as many torrent tracker sites I can get it to work with.

Fozzie Bear and POW_hungry like this.
  12. Donzah

Harder than finding Cook's Tongan tortoise....
    *Cook had a young tortoise in Tonga. Queen Elizabeth 2 met the same tortoise on her Coronation tour. 1953?
    Think about that.

13. cruisin along

cruisin along A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Not available on my subscription apparently .......so much for Foxtel opening all channels

14. nfip

nfip Cold n' Rusty Ski Pass: Gold

There is (was ?) a date, which I was told has been validated, from around that time engraved into a rock platform up in the corner at North Durras.
    Cook refers to Point Upright.
    I forget exactly the date tho I have seen it many years ago.
    It's covered by sand a lot of the time and when I've been back to look for it again have been unable to find it.

15. Donzah

Just ring them and tell them you want everything.

16. Donzah

He tried to land here at Woonona on 28.04.1770.
    There is a monument down on Collins rock.
    I intend to mark the day with a visit on Tuesday.

Ultrasteez and nfip like this.
  17. nfip

the date I saw in the rocks was 1 January.
    I'll give a mate a call and confirm the year.
    I'm thinking it was more around time of the first fleet.

18. Fozzie Bear

19. skifree

skifree A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

It’s relevant to both topics.

I’m not sure why this topic is in weather surf & marine.

20. Fozzie Bear

Thread drift....... LOL

skifree likes this.
  21. Donzah

Lol.
    It started with one of these.

skifree likes this.
  22. Fozzie Bear

With correct alignment

skifree and Donzah like this.
  23. Donzah

24. Ted Harper

Ted Harper One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Liked, post contains photos clearly exhibiting (1) weather, (2) surf and (3) marine ;)

nfip, skifree, Fozzie Bear and 2 others like this.
  25. skifree

cold wombat and nfip like this.
  26. Fozzie Bear

skifree likes this.
  27. skifree

True, he was and should not have been.

Fozzie Bear likes this.
  28. Donzah

skifree likes this.
  29. Donzah

30. nfip

well I thought it a Maritime topic.
    I was going to post the share in surf thread but thought others if interested would have missed the link
    Happy to have it shifted to convo if appropriate.

Homer and skifree like this.
  31. skifree

I’m not fussed unless anyone really puts up a reasoned argument to move it.

I asked because the weather forum has all these sub rules about topic & was surprised this was an acceptable weather topic.

nfip likes this.
  32. shark

Quite unexpected! There are worst religions than the house of Phil.

33. Donzah

I found it hilarious

34. shark

re the Hawaii thing, pretty radical view by one of his interviewees, whilst the other was quite pragmatic and not so emotive.

I've been to Captain Cook on the big island. I like to think that the locals really don't hold that much anger.

Fozzie Bear likes this.
  35. Donzah

I always thought the Hawaiians were quite passive towards cook.
    That's my impression from being there 7 times.
    Mind you. Times change.
    The series struck a chord with me.
    Being raised in NZ. Holidays in the Marlborough sounds...
    Then living in the Pacific Islands as a kid...
    Then moving here and seeing how differently Cook is viewed.

36. shark

This is my impression. "Oh that guy, meh", while Aussies buzz around "So this is where Captain Cook died?". In saying that, naming a fairly large area after him - his legacy continues there as it does throughout the pacific.

Fozzie Bear, Donzah and nfip like this.
  37. skifree

38. Snow Blowey

Yeah but it sort of all falls apart when the woman who appears to be about 50 years old claims a bloke who was shot 250 years ago was her grandfather. I'm not far off that age and i has long living great grand parents, but the oldest one was born circa 1900. I hardly knew her, didn't know anything of her upbringing so in reality anyone that came before that generation is such a disconnect from me that whilst i'm related i can't really get upset about what may have happened to them because there was no connection.

Ultrasteez likes this.
  39. Ultrasteez

Ultrasteez A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I often wonder how accurate indigenous 'oral stories' or accounts are....surely they have changed significantly overtime to suit the rhetoric. Yet they are held up as more gospel than a historical text.

nfip and Snow Blowey like this.
  40. Ultrasteez

I expect some would think the above thoughts make me racist. Im not suggesting that spoken indigenous word has no value historically. However im not sure it should hold the accuracy weight that is often attributed to it.

41. skifree

But it also should not be dismissed in any first instance but considered carefully.

nfip and Fozzie Bear like this.
  42. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

There is a book called The Edge of Memory by Patrick Nunn about the preservation of ancient memory. Before we started writing, oral history was the only history, and people were trained to achieve prodigious feats of memory and recital. There have been experiments conducted on the accuracy of recollection and transmission over 3 generations (all that is feasible) and the accuracy is remarkable.

43. skifree

A good read, can recommend.

44. Snow Blowey

Definitely. But there seems to be a new trend of treating indigenous information as above all else.

In terms of the Cook landing both sides of the story can be correct - told from two points of view.

The natives would have been shit scared of the big ship and the white figures that came off it. They'd have had weapons at the ready. They'd have yelled the equivalent of "piss off" or "what the fark" when Cook and his party came ashore. We were just telling them to go away. Why did they shoot our bloke?

From Cooks perspective they'd have been shit scared of the anxious looking natives that are making unknown noises with spears at the ready. Just like the natives they would have had weapons at the ready in case of the unknown. The noise picks up and the gestures look threatening and in the misunderstanding they fire a shot and kill a man.

But the ABC piece is written as though Cook came ashore in a aggressive manner with an agenda to slaughter the natives and take over their land. Pretty sure it didn't happen like this. Not when Cook landed anyway.

nfip and Ultrasteez like this.
  45. Ultrasteez

The ABC has to run that agenda or they will be belted around as being anti-indigenous.

46. jabiru

jabiru One of Us

I think I heard this on the Sam Neill doco ,, not sure but apparently everywhere Cook went in OZ the natives were aggressive and resistant basically trying to warn him off ,, then when they got up past Brisbane up the Qld coast a lot of Aborigines were seen on the shore and they were all waving at them ,, nice change they thought ,, then he ran aground on the reef

Snow Blowey likes this.
  47. skifree

If you had paid attention to the story you would be across it's key point which was the proposed new interpretation of what was said could be "you are dead" in language.

This is actually consistent with the interpretation of the story that early views that white men were ghosts of peoples past carried by giant birds.

nfip and Fozzie Bear like this.
  48. Fozzie Bear

As pointed out by Legs Akimbo, oral history is all we had before people started writing things down and has been shown to be remarkably accurate. And also remember that written history isn't always that accurate as it is usually written by the victor and consequently generally suffers from a lack of balance/perspective

I would kindly suggest that your and @Snow Blowey's views are not unusual but stem from an ignorance of aboriginal culture (you latch onto one thing and use it to rubbish the whole) and an ignorance of how histories are recorded (believe it or not, a lot of oral history is taken by historians).

cruisin along likes this.
  49. Snow Blowey

If some one came at me with a spear and said "you're dead" i'd shoot at them if i had a gun.

nfip likes this.