Trip Report Corin Forest - ACT

Corin Forest

Corin Forest Rep
As the season changes we are very busy getting ready for winter. Brand new snow guns have arrived and being plumbed into the hill and the trusty 1985 Kassbohrer snow groomer has been rebuilt.

Final arrangements are being made for winter and a formal announcement will be made shortly but it is looking like we will offer 2 snow play sessions per day of 3 hours each with the possibility of some nights also. Sessions will cost $15 per person for admission onto the snow area - toboggan rental is $5.

We plan to open every day of the declared ski season from 8-5pm.

We have also installed a new snow cam

And unlike all other alpine resorts in Australia there is no park entry or parking fees at Corin Forest.

More updates shortly.

Last edited:

rollyz

One of Us
Jun 2, 2005
my own little world
I dropped into Corin last week, wanted to check out their snow slope. What a awesome set up! The toboggan slope was all go! I was quite surprised how big it was with heaps of families having a go. It look like fun and was a good length. There was a snow play area of to the back with a few snow men already built. The snow on the day I visited was man made (maybe with a mix of natural), but was like upto a meter deep, and was as good as quality as any groomed snow at any other resort. Of course they get natural snowfalls as well, so that just ads to the whole snow experience.

The ski slope was bare, no snow on it, but it would be nice to see that up and going in the future.

There is one of those metal toboggan mountain rides there as well. Had a go, and it's a good one! Much better and more fun than some of the other ones at other venues. And the main shop/kiosk building had a nice big open fire place to warm up by.

Without the long drive down to the big resorts, tube,national park entry fees,chain and toboggan hire, accomodation, etc this place is great value for families just wanting a day out.

rollyz

One of Us
Jun 2, 2005
my own little world
Quite a big snow area.

corinforest-snowplay.jpg

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
From the Canberra Times

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act...-snow-space-for-year-two-20150502-1mwaf9.html

The ACT's most accessible location for a day in the snow has promised a doubling of its snow area this winter.

Corin Forest general manager Dane Liepins said the 30,000 visitors during last year's winter season – the first with snow facilities since 2004 – had revealed areas for improvement.

"The massive numbers we saw on weekends, and especially the days with natural snow, showed up a few parts of the infrastructure we had, some of which hadn't seen much love in 30 years," he said.
Corin Forest snow play area in 2014.

"This year we're concentrating on getting those things right."

The small snow area – a favourite place for young children on plastic sleds – will be doubled, and the kitchen and serving capacity of the cafe will be expanded.

Mr Liepins said parking capacity would also be more than doubled.

An online ticketing system has been planned and there will be three rather than two sessions daily to cater for more visitors.

William

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Cairns
I popped in there last February (2014). Had been wanting to ride the Alpine Slide from when I first saw it on TV in the early 90s. The boys running it now had only just taken over from the previous operator. Coffee was good, slide was good, drive up was good. Nice day out and it is good to see them getting good publicity and agree some areas need work.

Rurik

First Runs
Jan 18, 2016
Is there an option for a season pass for those mid week trips with the toddler while the others are at school?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
Night Skiing At Corin Forest
aka Big Wednesday

I feel very humble, I was the first paying customer to do night skiing at Corin Forest this year.

I was met with sweet corduroy and no school holiday queues!

80C0B15B-9414-4DE9-9556-F637C8FEEA28_zpsa34o2tuf.jpg

B332FE73-B6FE-455E-8A7F-42CB2BDF510F_zpsi7hfjka8.jpg

8F405F87-0A59-4DA8-8DC8-C89B353FBA5E_zpszlbs1yyp.jpg

On offer was the mighty Valley Carpet, a magnificent lift which rivals Perisher Magic Carpet #3. Eat your heart out @Normo!

1534B128-7FAC-4AA3-B8E2-D1CDE0EFD50C_zpsqxoonq2e.jpg

Anticipation building on the first ascent

377FC4E1-01F7-4335-94B6-144E7A14D9B7_zpsrryrmwn8.jpg

The cover was 'firm' and not so fast ;)

D004D6FC-4393-4E01-BA34-2A353C06FC7C_zpsnzyh94bd.png

As there were no crowds, I managed to see all the resort in 1 night
CorinSki.jpg

Unfortunately, news of this hidden gem has quickly spread and I had to share the run with about 30 other skiers and snowboarders.

Once the epic pow was tracked out, I retreated inside for a hot feed and drink.

9D5E6559-42AE-4CE0-B52F-C877855C5735_zps0mnzq4wo.jpg

These guys were asking about someone named @Richard, so I beat a hasty retreat back to Canberra.

A most splendid way to spend a couple of hours after work :)

I now need to go and update the list of places I've skied.

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au
How many blue runs at Corin ?
SKI + RIDE
Corin Forest is an experience you will never forget. Our ski slope is custom designed to have beginners mastering the basics in no time. The slope features an easy to use “magic carpet” ski lift and gentle terrain.

With onsite ski and snowboard rentals and a snowsports school we have you covered for an awesome first day on skis or a board.

If you are booking multiple sessions throughout a day you only need to hire clothes once. Just let us know when you arrive to get fitted out that you will be staying on after your first session.

For safety and comfort the ski area is limited to a maximum of 150 persons per session, so advance bookings via our website are strongly recommended.

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
It's great. Especially for the people of Canberra and surrounds. Gives them easy access to snow, and also is good for beginners to learn the basics of skiing and boarding before heading to the big and expensive resorts. Very smug to be elitist and knock it.
It's been quite a while since that blue run operated further up the hill than @VSG has drawn. Today there is just 1 green off the carpet ride and a small terrain park.

Reactions: VSG

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.
www.australianmountains.com
It's been quite a while since that blue run operated further up the hill than @VSG has drawn. Today there is just 1 green off the carpet ride and a small terrain park.
I'm curious how long the old platter lift was, did it go much further up the hill?

And some ski lift website claims they got a second carpet last year (although it is pretty short).

Corin Forest lifts
Platter . . . 1980s - c.1995 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . The lift was a Schippers “Bambi” button tow
Carpet . . . 2016 - present . . . . Valley Carpet . . . 75 metre long Sunkid brand carpet
Carpet . . . 2018 - present . . . . Ski School . . . . . . 25 metre long Team Services carpet

VSG

Crayon Master
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com
I'm curious how long the old platter lift was, did it go much further up the hill?

Corin Forest lifts
Platter . . . 1980s - c.1995 . . . . The lift was a Schippers “Bambi” button tow
.....t

Yep. Rode it several times in the mid 80s. It's length was no longer than about 120m... vertical rise about 20m. Blue line in this image. Snow making was a Woomera canon.

20190408_062827.jpg

oldgeezer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 18, 2016
Grandpa oh and computer programmer too.
When our kids were quite young we had visitors one August weekend and we could see the norhern Brindies covered with snow so we drove up to Corin. We didn't make it as the road was closed half way up. The next year we took them to slopes, might have been Selwyn. Anyway they were a bit unsure of the difference so we started referring to 'the little snow' and the 'the big snow'. It stuck so with our now adult daughter having taken our grandsons to Corin last winter for some snow play we are planning on taking them to the big snow come August but I must keep the idea of lessons at Corin in mind.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
May not be allowed to open. Same for every resort in the country. :(
BC XC ski access to a number of ski locations in VIC. will remain possible including :Lake Mtn from Mt. Margaret Gap and Keppel's hut ; Mt. St. Gwinear ; Bogong High Plains via the Big Hill Lookout and the Fainters: Mt. Stirling via Carter's rd. and Road No. 3 / Mt. No.3 Hut . and JB Plain via the Great Alpine Road.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
LOL

Surely you jest

(No there is not...yet!)
I XC skied on real snow on Tuesday near Falls Creek. So it is not such a crazy question. You are enthusiastic. There is something in that I can relate to. The thing is that I am 50 and most people my age that I know are unable to froth about anything. It is all very sad really ;-P .

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Blue Mtns, 1100M.
I XC skied on real snow on Tuesday near Falls Creek. So it is not such a crazy question. You are enthusiastic. There is something in that I can relate to. The thing is that I am 50 and most people my age that I know are unable to froth about anything. It is all very sad really ;-P .
50!
So young......

Interruptedbyfireworks

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 1, 2018
Queanbeyan, NSW
I say froth away!

Yes I rode the real stuff this week too, it was glorious. But Corin Forest is only around 1260 ASL (don’t quote me on that, I just did a rough jab at the map to see) so whilst it has had a few natural falls so far this year, nothing has stuck yet.

I don’t mind though! I’m so glad to be (a) skiing on opening weekend and (b) skiing at Corin at all after the fires nearly took it out!

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
I say froth away!

Yes I rode the real stuff this week too, it was glorious. But Corin Forest is only around 1260 ASL (don’t quote me on that, I just did a rough jab at the map to see) so whilst it has had a few natural falls so far this year, nothing has stuck yet.

I don’t mind though! I’m so glad to be (a) skiing on opening weekend and (b) skiing at Corin at all after the fires nearly took it out!
1260 M. ASL is not much at all. If they did not have a slurpy machine it would mean 10+ months a year of mountain biking.

Last edited:

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.
www.australianmountains.com
1260 M. ASL is not much at all. If they did not have slurpy machine it would mean 10 months a year of mountain biking.
Well Mt Mawson is below that altitude and they have a proper club ski field without any snow making at all.

But Corin is a fair way north and its latitude is the reason that natural snow is unreliable. However the current owners have really transformed the place and with improved facilities including snow making and two newish carpets, it's a nice day out.

Interruptedbyfireworks

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 1, 2018
Queanbeyan, NSW
A perfect morning at Corin Forest today - bluebird sky and no lift queues! Ran into @jonathanc and his partner there, plus me and my +1 and we had that sexy magic carpet to ourselves.

I saw the boys do a few little jumps, it was very chilled out and the wood fired pizza afterwards sitting in the sunshine listening to live music just topped it all off.

10/10 would do again!

PS does that mean I got first lifts of the Southern Hemisphere winter 2020?! :p

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
A perfect morning at Corin Forest today - bluebird sky and no lift queues! Ran into @jonathanc and his partner there, plus me and my +1 and we had that sexy magic carpet to ourselves.

I saw the boys do a few little jumps, it was very chilled out and the wood fired pizza afterwards sitting in the sunshine listening to live music just topped it all off.

10/10 would do again!

PS does that mean I got first lifts of the Southern Hemisphere winter 2020?! :p
Pics or it didn't happen.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass