Trip Report Corin Forest - ACT

jonathanc

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 4, 2014
A perfect morning at Corin Forest today - bluebird sky and no lift queues! Ran into @jonathanc and his partner there, plus me and my +1 and we had that sexy magic carpet to ourselves.

I saw the boys do a few little jumps, it was very chilled out and the wood fired pizza afterwards sitting in the sunshine listening to live music just topped it all off.

10/10 would do again!

PS does that mean I got first lifts of the Southern Hemisphere winter 2020?! :p
Nice to meet you! Was my first ever ride on a magic carpet... pushed through the fear and survived.

... also as well as first lifted ascent, you're probably the current record holder for greatest vertical metres ascended on a splitboard in the ACT in 2020. A noble achievement LOL

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Now that the plague restrictions are being relaxed, here is a photo from May 2nd 2020.Fresh tracks but no ski lifts in the B.C : Upper Taggerty Trail , Marysville State forest/ Yarra ranges N.P., Victoria.
That is me.
Other forum users/members did ski on that weekend which was quite early in the season.

Photo by @beefa skiing

_SAM6938.JPG

Last edited:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

southpaw

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 28, 2018
Canberra
I was just casually scrolling through Instagram procrastinating from work, and LOOK IT ME!

I was like hey I have that bib but I bet it doesn’t look as good on me...wait....
Somehow I missed the memo on Corin getting a beginners ski slope, given the shite show this season has become I might get me some turns there. Amazing that we can do this so close to the Berra.:)

Interruptedbyfireworks

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 1, 2018
Queanbeyan, NSW
Someone how I missed the memo on Corin getting a beginners ski slope, given the shite show this season has become I might get me some turns there. Amazing that we can do this so close to the Berra.:)
Yeah it's so close to Canberra! One year we left work at lunch after checking the weather and went up, pow day and noone else up there. Only thing is it's a magic carpet and a really small slope, but waaaaaay better than nothing as far as I'm concerned! Perfect for beginners and kids

Reactions: skull and malas1

southpaw

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 28, 2018
Canberra
Yeah it's so close to Canberra! One year we left work at lunch after checking the weather and went up, pow day and noone else up there. Only thing is it's a magic carpet and a really small slope, but waaaaaay better than nothing as far as I'm concerned! Perfect for beginners and kids
Yeah I was going to ask you how beginner it is. I assumed it would be pretty lame but I agree better than nothin!

Interruptedbyfireworks

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 1, 2018
Queanbeyan, NSW
Yeah I was going to ask you how beginner it is. I assumed it would be pretty lame but I agree better than nothin!
Yeah it's very beginner, I would say similar to carpet #3 at Perisher from memory? Maybe a little longer, but that kind of ball-park. Great fun to practise with new gear, and switch etc, or just enjoy being in the snow.

Reactions: southpaw

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.
www.australianmountains.com
It's most likely to be on the same route as a platter that operated on and off at Corin in the 1980s and early 1990s. It was slightly uphill from the current ski area.

The people that took over the place around 2015 or 2016 are very keen and have invested a decent chunk of money in improving facilities at Corin.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
It's most likely to be on the same route as a platter that operated on and off at Corin in the 1980s and early 1990s. It was slightly uphill from the current ski area.

The people that took over the place around 2016 are very keen and have invested a decent chunk of money in improving facilities at Corin.
Lake Mountain could learn from these people .

southpaw

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 28, 2018
Canberra
Well this is exciting news - Corin Forest to install a new ski lift and clear 2.25 ha for a new ski run. The article mentions bullwheels and towers so at the very least it must be a drag surface lift! Very exciting.

Link
This is great for Canberrans, even a gentle slope would be exciting if need a quick snow slide fix.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Well this is exciting news - Corin Forest to install a new ski lift and clear 2.25 ha for a new ski run. The article mentions bullwheels and towers so at the very least it must be a drag surface lift! Very exciting.

Link
That is handy for you. Now you will have no excuse to Not learn how to ski. We plague i stanis have eff all snow and are not allowed out to play . You have no such restrictions , yet.
How steep is that terrain? Would it be comparable with the Dinner Plain Poma run?

Interruptedbyfireworks

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 1, 2018
Queanbeyan, NSW
That is handy for you. Now you will have no excuse to Not learn how to ski. We plague i stanis have eff all snow and are not allowed out to play . You have no such restrictions , yet.
How steep is that terrain? Would it be comparable with the Dinner Plain Poma run?
The existing one is much smaller than dinner plain, but still good for learning! I went up there the other day but unfortunately there was a lot of clear snow falling so we decided our lift tickets and hire were simply donations to the cause that day. Next time!

I’m not sure about the new ski area, other people would know more than me, they were around when the old platter was there, the one @Bogong described. There is already a small clearing above the existing slope, then more trees, so I imagine that’s where they will clear and extend. From memory it is a decent little incline, I think I’ve seen some photoshop work on a contour map previously in this thread showing the location of the old run.

They’ve been booked out solid these school holidays, I’m so pleased for them. And this extension will be even betterer!

Kash

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2007
Sydney
Visited a month ago. The alpine slide was so awesome. Rode it solo, with a 4 yr old in front and my 8 yr old could ride flat stick solo. Amazing fun and highly recommended. Bargain at $25 for an hour. If you are in Canberra, or doing a stopover, definitely pay a visit. Quality wood fired pizzas for sale too at the cafe, and a great place for kids to run around on the grass, kick a footy, play hide and seek etc out the front.

Although we didnt try it, the ski run looked ok, but like others i can absolutely see the potential of the run above the toboggan area, which I have a pic of below. Great incline but just not sure how it will hold the man made snow, as i cant imagine corin will get much natural at 1200m - in saying that I guess half of the aus runs are now backed up with man made!

For first time skiers/young kids though this place makes perfect sense to get familiar with the snow for a few hours, rather than forking out thousands for Perisher/Thredbo. I know for sure that my 4 y/o who has not yet left Friday Flat would be entertained just as easily at Corin. I dont have a pic of the ski run, only the little play/toboggan area.

Attachments

• 20200531_111323.jpg
    20200531_111323.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 3
  • 20200531_093338.jpg
    20200531_093338.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 4
  • 20200531_100216.jpg
    20200531_100216.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.
www.australianmountains.com
I had heard a shaky rumour that a chairlift might be built in Australia, probably in NSW, (in addition to the Charlotte Pass proposal). But I assumed it was to be a tourist chairlift away from the snowfields. Even last night I didn't correlate the newly announced Corin lift with my vague knowledge of a possible chairlift in NSW.

Right now, the idea of a chairlift at Corin seems preposterous, but I am still thrilled that they're going to build one.:woohoo:

southpaw

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 28, 2018
Canberra
Read the article in the link it says:
In 2019 Corin Forest invested in all-weather snowmaking technology as part of its climate change strategy. The machine makes flake ice inside the unit using refrigeration so the resort is not reliant on sub-zero temperatures in order to produce snow.

Didn’t know this was a thing. They should roll this out in the main resorts.

fenrir

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 23, 2010
In 2019 Corin Forest invested in all-weather snowmaking technology as part of its climate change strategy. The machine makes flake ice inside the unit using refrigeration so the resort is not reliant on sub-zero temperatures in order to produce snow.

Probably the techno alpin snow factory aka slushy machine?

Interruptedbyfireworks

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 1, 2018
Queanbeyan, NSW

Yeah I think that's The Yeti? It's a huge thing, in a building, and it spits out ice chunks. It's much chunkier than what the normal snow-machines produce, but I actually really like the texture of it. Like small pebbles rather than sand, but still flows nicely

EDIT: this is it below
4F23BA96-84B7-4F9A-8B43-62061134C27B.jpeg

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney
Missed all this excitement a few days ago. A chairlift at CF would be awesome. Assume it would be up the steeper cleared slope that the old poma went up. I will officially learn to telemark if this is the case as I’m in Cbr a few times each winter without heading further south and the first person here who offers to teach me will receive my business!

Interruptedbyfireworks

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 1, 2018
Queanbeyan, NSW
Perfect spring morning at Corin today! Sunny, brief periods of light precipitation and light winds so not too hot. And the snow was the perfect amount of soft for me to learn to ski yay! See my insta post for the video of my excellent skills and hubby’s even more excellent narrating LOL

Check out that vertical :cool:
F2FED671-0C3C-4A86-8DF6-B8D36A042BB8.jpeg

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Perfect spring morning at Corin today! Sunny, brief periods of light precipitation and light winds so not too hot. And the snow was the perfect amount of soft for me to learn to ski yay! See my insta post for the video of my excellent skills and hubby’s even more excellent narrating LOL

You are doing well :). Better than I did on my first 2-3 attempts at skiing of any sort !!. :-0.Because you have some experience sliding on snow and ice and the balance that comes from another snow sport you will progress quickly. It is up to you whether you aim for Classic XC , Skating XC and /or Telemark XC skiing. I think all of them should be attempted. I was going to do all three this season but it did not turn out that way. Overall backcountry XC skiing and ski touring can be achieved quickly if you get Classic XC skiing with a pattern base going , with the diagonal stride plus herringbone ascents and side stepping and a few other skills.

Interruptedbyfireworks

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 1, 2018
Queanbeyan, NSW
You are doing well :). Better than I did on my first 2-3 attempts at skiing of any sort !!. :-0.Because you have some experience sliding on snow and ice and the balance that comes from another snow sport you will progress quickly. It is up to you whether you aim for Classic XC , Skating XC and /or Telemark XC skiing. I think all of them should be attempted. I was going to do all three this season but it did not turn out that way. Overall backcountry XC skiing and ski touring can be achieved quickly if you get Classic XC skiing with a pattern base going , with the diagonal stride plus herringbone ascents and side stepping and a few other skills.
It was much easier than I was expecting it to be! I guess some practice on the split skis and just general understanding of edges and snow helped. Can’t wait to do it again!

Corin really is the perfect beginner slope. Sunshine, live music...so nice.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
@Interruptedbyfireworks . It looks like you are having an introduction to downhill alpine skiing on a nursery slope and using downhill ski gear. Hence the immediate progression to proficient parallel turns. Whereas I started on free heel classic skinny skis and was taught the snow plough turn and the variant which is the stem Christie Turn. Parallel turns and a skidded stop are still a work in progress for me. Moving to wider BC XC skis with a metal edge made Stem Christie turning easier for me. Mr. IBFW could become a commentator for the next winter Olympics ;-P .Keep it up !!

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
It was much easier than I was expecting it to be! I guess some practice on the split skis and just general understanding of edges and snow helped. Can’t wait to do it again!

The weight transfer from leg to leg for turning is something that requires building muscle memory. I am no maestro on planks
( please see my signature, I am merely an enthusiast as you very much are )
but I did surprise myself in July 2020 when I automatically did some things ( that must have become hard wired from 25 + days on XC skis in 2019 and many more hours in 2018) when I was skiing off the BHP road down to Langford Gap hut . Those things included an automatic snow plough stop and a traverse of a tricky bit using the metal ski edges and rolling the ankles to achieve that. You would have been shown " the bow tie" which helps with ankles and turning. With the heels locked down people tell me these things become easier but I am married to free heel XC skiing and have never tried nor known anything else.

Interruptedbyfireworks

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 1, 2018
Queanbeyan, NSW
The weight transfer from leg to leg for turning is something that requires building muscle memory. I am no maestro on planks
( please see my signature, I am merely an enthusiast as you very much are )
but I did surprise myself in July 2020 when I automatically did some things ( that must have become hard wired from 25 + days on XC skis in 2019 and many more hours in 2018) when I was skiing off the BHP road down to Langford Gap hut . Those things included an automatic snow plough stop and a traverse of a tricky bit using the metal ski edges and rolling the ankles to achieve that. You would have been shown " the bow tie" which helps with ankles and turning. With the heels locked down people tell me these things become easier but I am married to free heel XC skiing and have never tried nor known anything else.
I think I did do the weight transfer, though I found one leg much stronger/easier than the other. It sure is easier on alpine/downhill skis than split skis so maybe the fixed heel thing does make a difference? Not sure! But yes I agree that a bunny hill, nice snow, real skis and also some very polite and friendly other snow-riders made it probably as good as it gets for a semi-first timer! I used the poles for all of 2 seconds before I threw them away though. Im not sure about the “bow tie”... hubby said to turn with my outside foot heavier than my uphill foot and away I went haha. The Corin instructors that were floating around also gave me a few tips as they went past, which was nice considering I didn’t do the lessons.

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
Jumped the wall to Mexico
I think I did do the weight transfer, though I found one leg much stronger/easier than the other. It sure is easier on alpine/downhill skis than split skis so maybe the fixed heel thing does make a difference? Not sure! But yes I agree that a bunny hill, nice snow, real skis and also some very polite and friendly other snow-riders made it probably as good as it gets for a semi-first timer! I used the poles for all of 2 seconds before I threw them away though. Im not sure about the “bow tie”... hubby said to turn with my outside foot heavier than my uphill foot and away I went haha. The Corin instructors that were floating around also gave me a few tips as they went past, which was nice considering I didn’t do the lessons.
I found some good (wait for the eye rolls) youtube vids that I watched before I did my first day on skis. They were really helpful and enough to keep busy for a day. Did just the one day in Japan, and then last year in Thredders I think I did another day before I then had an intermediate lesson. Looks like you'll likely be able to do similar, either this year or next. Everyone's learning style differs, but I think with previous experience on snow it makes sense to get a bit of a feel first to shortcut the baby lessons.

Billy Jack

One of Us
Jul 6, 2016

Unappreciated. Back when it first opened (80s?) I used to take my kids there for a quick ski from time to time as every minute on snow helps development. My son Ben (little dude in blue) went on to become a member of the Australian Professional Snowsports Instructors Demonstration team from these humble beginnings.
FullSizeRender(3).jpg

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
If you have classic XC ski lessons then you will need the ski poles. However Nordic ski teachers who have taught me classic XC skiing did take the poles away to break down the skills into segments which is a good way to go and XC skiers should be able to ski up and down hills and on the flats without poles in order to polish their classic XC ski technique. Even when I was learning to step turn ,it required balance drills of skiing on one ski only with no poles.

Last edited:

Interruptedbyfireworks

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 1, 2018
Queanbeyan, NSW
Unappreciated. Back when it first opened (80s?) I used to take my kids there for a quick ski from time to time as every minute on snow helps development. My son Ben (little dude in blue) went on to become a member of the Australian Professional Snowsports Instructors Demonstration team from these humble beginnings.
FullSizeRender(3).jpg
Wow that must be the bit up a bit higher, there is a clearing between the trees that isn’t used at the moment. I guess it will be revived when they build the new chair!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass