Coronavirus - travel during and after COVID

filski

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Mar 14, 2011
I highlighted the important bits - if you provide proof of vaccination you don't have to fill out pre-travel clearance or anything else.
Also, if you just transit.
Cool, I find it a bit odd that there's so much variation. I can't get into Norway, just not possible yet. I'm ok with waiting a while longer though.

Reactions: sara777

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
From the Japan 2022 thread:

I suspect that the first few weeks after flights resume out of Australia, there will probably still be flights less than half full.

Based on my experience, I have some tips:
- Check your seat allocation a couple of weeks before your flight, to get an idea of how crowded the flight will be, then again about 2-3 days before.
- If the flights are way less than half full, change your seat so you have a full empty row. That way, you can lie down. If it's 3-3-3, take the window side, and if it's 2-4-2 take the centre. Here's is my next flight:

Airline seat strategy.jpg

If you check two days before, you are in "C" and somebody has taken "G" in the same row, move to a different row. For example, I'd change to the row behind.

If you are in the main cabin, you have a better chance of getting an empty row if you are further back:
Airline seat strategy2.jpg

If there are TWO of you and plenty of empty rows, don't take the two window seats (like they have in 46 & 47^^), take the centre seats "D" & "F". Nobody will take "C" & "G". Make sure you pick a row that is empty both in front and behind so one of you can swap rows and you can both sleep in 4 seats.

- Don't take a bulkhead or exit row.... these have the immovable armrests so you can't lie down.

- Don't pick an aisle seat that is across the aisle from another person (less than 1m away)
- Pick a seat that's behind other people not in front.

- Don't bother with premium economy if the flight is less than half full, because premium economy has the wider seats with the immovable armrests so you can't lie down.
- Take some sanitising wipes just in case they don't provide these for wiping down video screen, tray table, seat belt clasp, etc.

- If it looks like you'll be in Japanese QH for 3 days, take some cup-a-noodles with you so you can have some hot food.
- Take an N95 mask for train transfers & any domestic flights, as you will be cheek to jowl with everybody else. Same on buses.

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
J

Jesus, just listening to the NSW conference, those journalists are driving me mad. "Why only 7 days of the home q, why not 2 weeks as per the hotel q?" :rolleyes: Especially that one guy.
Because they have no idea.

I mean it was only something like 5 months ago that Brendan Murphy indicated that the risks of 7 days home quarantine for a fully vaccinated traveller were less than 14 days hotel quarantine for an unvaccinated one. They need more time for that to penetrate their thick skulls.

Meanwhile Singapore already has home quarantine, for instance.

PMG

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney
I really can't see how this is going to work for QANTAS crews if it's correct. Fly out, probably isolate at destination, fly home, home isolation for 7 days, fly out again. Meanwhile everyone else is going about their daily lives with limited restrictions. Doesn't sound very appealing.

Reactions: LMB and cold wombat

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Not good enough.
As I have said previously, most people can't afford another 1-2 weeks just sitting at home.
Talk to me when we have no quarantine...
7 days is not too bad to start the process.
Hell, 14 days at home for international would be ok to begin with.

Reactions: piolet

piolet

Better make it three
Ski Pass
May 27, 2004
in the cupboard covered in dust
I really can't see how this is going to work for QANTAS crews if it's correct. Fly out, probably isolate at destination, fly home, home isolation for 7 days, fly out again. Meanwhile everyone else is going about their daily lives with limited restrictions. Doesn't sound very appealing.
That's life right now. Iso to iso to iso

3 days is and has been working across the Tasman for a year (ANZ crews)

Reactions: cold wombat

piolet

Better make it three
Ski Pass
May 27, 2004
in the cupboard covered in dust
7 days is not too bad to start the process.
Hell, 14 days at home for international would be ok to begin with.
No 14 days is not acceptable imo

Agree 7 is a good starting point. At what point is it reduced to 3 or 0?

7 is a functional start for many and would vastly improve the prospect of trips for many. Right now a mate is missing a very important series of meetings in France as he can't get a flight home due to them getting canned from limited hotel slots. Home q makes all that happen

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
From the Japan thread:

Updated rules for those who can currently enter Japan.

Japan Ministry of Health, Labour, and Welfare (MHLW) have announced an updated rule for the quarantine of people arriving from abroad due to COVID-19 situation.

The major updates are as follows:
  • USA (all states), Finland, France, and Netherland are now excluded from 3-day mandatory quarantine

• All countries listed below are subject to 3-day mandatory quarantine at the designated hotel:
    Afghanistan, Argentina, Bangladesh, Belgium, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Georgia, Greece, India, Indonesia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Libya, Malaysia, Maldives, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Portugal, Russia(Target areas only※), Seychelles, South Africa, Spain, Sri Lanka, Suriname, Tanzania, Trinidad and Tobago, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Venezuela, Zambia,

• No countries will need 6 or 10 day of mandatory hotel quarantine

The above measures will apply from September 20th at 00:00.

This means that when I next return from the US to Japan in December, I will not have to do 3-day mandatory quarantine in a hotel shoe box, because now all US states are exempt (Texas was on a list of 3-day mandatory hotel quarantine).

And the 14 day home isolation still applies.

Mind you, I still can't figure out how all US states are off the list, considering that Texas is recording 18-20,000 new cases a day, and 350+ deaths a day, while Denmark is only recording 300+ cases.

## It indicates to me that Japan are constantly reviewing rules, and this tends towards relaxing rather than tightening.

Last edited:

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
From the Japan thread:

Updated rules for those who can currently enter Japan.

The major updates are as follows:
  • USA (all states), Finland, France, and Netherland are now excluded from 3-day mandatory quarantine

• All countries listed below are subject to 3-day mandatory quarantine at the designated hotel:
    Afghanistan, Argentina, Bangladesh, Belgium, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Georgia, Greece, India, Indonesia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Libya, Malaysia, Maldives, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Portugal, Russia(Target areas only※), Seychelles, South Africa, Spain, Sri Lanka, Suriname, Tanzania, Trinidad and Tobago, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Venezuela, Zambia,

• No countries will need 6 or 10 day of mandatory hotel quarantine

The above measures will apply from September 20th at 00:00.

This means that when I next return from the US to Japan in December, I will not have to do 3-day mandatory quarantine in a hotel shoe box, because now all US states are exempt (Texas was on a list of 3-day mandatory hotel quarantine).

And the 14 day home isolation still applies.

Mind you, I still can't figure out how all US states are off the list, considering that Texas is recording 18-20,000 new cases a day, and 350+ deaths a day, while Denmark is only recording 300+ cases.

## It indicates to me that Japan are constantly reviewing rules, and this tends towards relaxing rather than tightening.
Is Aus/NZ not on that list because we have closed borders - therefore if you won’t let us in, we won’t let you in?

Reactions: Annabuzzy

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Is Aus/NZ not on that list because we have closed borders - therefore if you won’t let us in, we won’t let you in?
I've updated it to make it clearer.

Japan Ministry of Health, Labour, and Welfare (MHLW) have announced an updated rule for the quarantine of people arriving from abroad due to COVID-19 situation.​

Main points. For those allowed to enter Japan, the following applies:
- All those allowed to enter Japan must serve 14 days isolation, either in a QH or at home.("home" could be a designated home that is not your own.... you specify this on arrival)
- All arrivals must have a COVID test 72 hours before flight departure from abroad.
- Anybody who had visited a "high risk" country in the last 14 days must serve the first 3 days isolation in a QH. USA (all states), Finland, France, and Netherlands have been removed from the list.
- Australia & NZ are not on the list because they are not "high risk"
- These Japanese rules have no dependence on rules in Australia & NZ

smitty484

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Apr 27, 2006
London, previously Brisbane
Really weird that they have all states of the US as no quarantine. Some of the US states are about as bad as it gets at the moment and many European nations are much better.

I’d be curious as to the rationale.

mannyk

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 13, 2014
Gold coast
Not good enough.
As I have said previously, most people can't afford another 1-2 weeks just sitting at home.
Talk to me when we have no quarantine...
Id cop 3 days on return with a Negative test.. But how much are we going to be charged per trip if PCR tests are required.
In Germany they have cheap or free antigen tests, takes 15mn , when cleared you can enter restricted areas..
I believe vaxed or not.
That sound too simple to me.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Id cop 3 days on return with a Negative test.. But how much are we going to be charged per trip if PCR tests are required.
In Germany they have cheap or free antigen tests, takes 15mn , when cleared you can enter restricted areas..
I believe vaxed or not.
That sound too simple to me.
In Japan, if you need a COVID viral test (PCR, Rapid Antigen tests) before leaving Japan, it costs between ~20,000yen at various clinics, or up to 38,000yen at the airport along with a certificate proving you had a negative result.

When entering Japan, the airport test is free. (Rapid Antigen test)

Reactions: mannyk

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
The US has changed its entry rules.
The current rules bar entry to most non-US citizens who have been in the UK and a number of other European countries, China, India, South Africa, Iran and Brazil within the last 14 days.
Under the new rules, all foreign travelers will now need to demonstrate proof of vaccination before flying, obtain a negative Covid-19 test result within three days of traveling, and provide their contact information. They will not be required to quarantine. (Previously the rule required the negative Covid-19 test, and didn't require quarantine.)
Officials said there would be some exceptions to the new policy, including for children who are not eligible to be vaccinated.

The new parts are the lifting of country restrictions and the proof of vaccination before flying.

MarzNC

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 8, 2017
Raleigh, NC, USA
over50skifitness.blogspot.com
The US has changed its entry rules.
Still details to be worked out. New rules will start some time in early November, but there isn't a formal date yet.

September 20, 2021
" . . .
Travelers will need to show proof of full vaccination prior to boarding U.S.-bound planes. A COVID-19 test will also continue to be required within three days of departure and proof of negative results must be shown. Enhanced contact tracingand masking will also be required, but there will be no quarantine mandate.

The new policy also adds more stringent testing requirements for unvaccinated U.S. travelers, who will need to test within one day of departure and once again after arrival.

Zients said the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention will release a list of accepted vaccinations before the new policy goes into effect, as well as a contact tracing order that requires airlines to collect information such as phone numbers and email addresses of all U.S.-bound travelers.
. . .

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
One point about vaccinations for travel into the US.
Right now, US only accepts Pfizer, Moderna & J&J for travel. So rules for entering the US as "fully vaccinated" don't apply to vaccination with AZ. This is likely to change, but it's best to check.

Vaccination means "fully vaccinated" with two doses.
It ALSO means that mixed vaccinations are NOT regarded as "fully vaccinated". For example, 1 dose of Pfizer and 1 dose of Moderna is NOT "fully vaccinated". Again, this may change it's an important point.

@Chalkie , iirc, you have a mixed AZ & Pfizer, right?

Chalkie

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2002
Vancouver, Canada
Right now, US only accepts Pfizer, Moderna & J&J for travel. So rules for entering the US as "fully vaccinated" don't apply to vaccination with AZ. This is likely to change, but it's best to check.

It ALSO means that mixed vaccinations are NOT regarded as "fully vaccinated". For example, 1 dose of Pfizer and 1 dose of Moderna is NOT "fully vaccinated". Again, this may change it's an important point.

@Chalkie , iirc, you have a mixed AZ & Pfizer, righ

@Chalkie , iirc, you have a mixed AZ & Pfizer, right?
That's right - I'm mixed AZ and Moderna.

Anxiously awaiting the list of vaccines that the US will regard as "full" for travel purposes.

Chalkie

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2002
Vancouver, Canada
ATM, they say "mixed" is not fully vaccinated.

Understood.

I can't get a second Moderna dose in BC right now (only Quebec is offering "boosters" for travel purposes right now). I've thought about flying down to the US now for a Moderna top up, but it seems that proving that I've had two doses will be problematic in any event.

Canada federally is saying that it is working with international partners for consistency on what constitutes "full vaccination". It is a mixed bag - it is good enough for the UK, Germany, France, Spain (and Canada and some others), but not for Australia and the US. It is kind of ironic, given there's been 5 studies now confirming the effectiveness of mixing AZ with an mRNA vaccine.

It's just a waiting game for us - +1 had two AZs, so that's currently problematic too. We're meant to be going to the US for American Thanksgiving - we hope it is sorted out by then! Luckily the tickets booked are fully refundable...

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Understood.

I can't get a second Moderna dose in BC right now (only Quebec is offering "boosters" for travel purposes right now). I've thought about flying down to the US now for a Moderna top up, but it seems that proving that I've had two doses will be problematic in any event.

Canada federally is saying that it is working with international partners for consistency on what constitutes "full vaccination". It is a mixed bag - it is good enough for the UK, Germany, France, Spain (and Canada and some others), but not for Australia and the US. It is kind of ironic, given there's been 5 studies now confirming the effectiveness of mixing AZ with an mRNA vaccine.

It's just a waiting game for us - +1 had two AZs, so that's currently problematic too. We're meant to be going to the US for American Thanksgiving - we hope it is sorted out by then! Luckily the tickets booked are fully refundable...
Yeah, global consistency is what we need. Currently, I can't get the Japanese "vaccination passport" because I was vaccinated in the US.

Annabuzzy

Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney

• 303,423 doses nationally yesterday
  • 127,855 doses NSW
  • 91,292 doses VIC
  • 76.7% first doses nationally, 52.6% second doses

• 86.21% first doses NSW, 61.67% second
  • 78.69% first doses VIC, 48.42% second
  • ACT firmly back in the lead on first dose count at 88.57% - theyve clapped on the pace the last week or so, and 62.24% second. NSW is closing the gap on second doses and may pass ACT by the end of the week

Reactions: sli1 and Chalkie

MarzNC

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 8, 2017
Raleigh, NC, USA
Just noticed that the timeshare resort I made a reservation for in eastern Pennsylvania has a note on the confirmation about what international travelers need to do. The resort is part of a very large timeshare company, so probably generic requirements that are more relevant to the locations in destination cities like New York City or San Francisco.

"• If your travel includes an international flight into the U.S. (including U.S.V.I. and Puerto Rico), the CDC requires you to provide to your airline documentation of a negative viral COVID-19 test taken within 72 hours of your departing flight or medical documentation of previous infection resulting in full recovery."

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
A reward from the Commonwealth Government once States and Territories reach 80% vaccination targets: no more disaster payments for those losing work due to the pandemic/lockdowns:

Reactions: Born2ski

Annabuzzy

Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney

Finally someone sensible has come out and said it.
Most except AB suspected it.
Let’s see. I’m definitely not death riding the idea of international travel by the end of this year. Isn’t most of the rest of the world starting doing it now, or restarted a while ago?

Reactions: piolet and sli1

dmz

Puzzles solved here.
Ski Pass
Jun 25, 2001
melbourne
A reward from the Commonwealth Government once States and Territories reach 80% vaccination targets: no more disaster payments for those losing work due to the pandemic/lockdowns:

Im sure Universities and the Arts sector say thank you.

dmz

Puzzles solved here.
Ski Pass
Jun 25, 2001
melbourne

Finally someone sensible has come out and said it.
Most except AB suspected it.
Anecdotally, I am dying to get overseas. But If I have to do 7 days Q when I get back, there is no way I am going.

Reactions: Born2ski and sli1

Annabuzzy

Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
Anecdotally, I am dying to get overseas. But If I have to do 7 days Q when I get back, there is no way I am going.
Reluctantly I can do 7 days home Q on return. I can work from home. It’s not a huge issue. The bigger constraint is the quarantine at destination.

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
Those aren’t issues that trouble me greatly. If I come home later, I come home later.
Sure, everyone circumstances are different. But IMO it makes say a 3 week holiday to Canada with a family far too risky a proposition at this stage. Well it does for me at least, other people with deeper pockets and more time to spare may view things differently.

Jasper Schwarz

Young but not afraid
Ski Pass
Jun 18, 2017
Northern Beaches, Sydney,
Sure, everyone circumstances are different. But IMO it makes say a 3 week holiday to Canada with a family far too risky a proposition at this stage. Well it does for me at least, other people with deeper pockets and more time to spare may view things differently.
Wonder if travel insurance will cover catching COVID overseas and if you end up having to go to hospital.

You would seriosuly hope so but is going to be a massive question mark over what happens

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Wonder if travel insurance will cover catching COVID overseas and if you end up having to go to hospital.

You would seriosuly hope so but is going to be a massive question mark over what happens
I have posted earlier in this thread about insurance that covers COVID. I got an annual policy that expires in late October, so I've had it for 11 months already. I've traveled on it 3 times to the USA from Japan. $1M USD medical and $100k USD for COVID specific cover. Cost me around $1000 AUD for 1 year.

rowdyflat

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2003
Yackandandah NE Victoria
One airline source said “people are awestruck and everyone is so excited to go overseas again and thinks they’ll be going anywhere they want in 2022 – but that is just so naive”.

Bara said it was “simply an unworkable proposition” for airlines to begin selling new tickets into Australia above current quarantine arrival caps without knowing how many passengers they will be allowed to carry or how their vaccine status to qualify for home quarantine will be checked.

Jasper Schwarz

Young but not afraid
Ski Pass
Jun 18, 2017
Northern Beaches, Sydney,
I have posted earlier in this thread about insurance that covers COVID. I got an annual policy that expires in late October, so I've had it for 11 months already. I've traveled on it 3 times to the USA from Japan. $1M USD medical and $100k USD for COVID specific cover. Cost me around $1000 AUD for 1 year.
Ouch.
Not like you have much choice, particularly if you want to go to the US

MarzNC

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 8, 2017
Raleigh, NC, USA
United Airlines seems satisfied with how requiring vaccination of all employees has worked out.

September 28, 2021 (USA)
"
New York (CNN Business)United Airlines announced Tuesday that only 593 of its workers face dismissal for not complying with the requirement to get a Covid-19 vaccine. That is less than 1% of its 67,000 US workers who are covered by the rule.
About 2,000 other employees, or less than 3% of the workforce, have applied for a medical or religious exemption from the vaccine, and their cases are now being considered by the airline.

"Our rationale for requiring the vaccine for all United's US-based employees was simple -- to keep our people safe," said United CEO Scott Kirby in a letter sent to United employees, which was also released to the media. "The truth is this: everyone is safer when everyone is vaccinated, and vaccine requirements work."

Some of the 593 employees who have not yet complied with the requirement could still be kept on staff if they have received the vaccine or started the vaccine process and had not forwarded proof to the airline.
. . ."

smitty484

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Apr 27, 2006
This is similar sentiments to here in the UK and I can certainly understand it. Far less families travelled this summer due to the risk of testing positive before flying home and being stuck in a destination. I was less worried, particularly given it’s Summer and in Greece most activities are outside anyway.

thankfully the pre-departure test is about to be dropped for double vaccinated people + children, which will be a game changer for families.

smitty484

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Apr 27, 2006
Yeah and my yearly policy for Europe which includes covid cover was £80 (travel insurance for Europe is super cheap).

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass