Trip Report Coronet Peak 29 May 2014 (Pics)

Centago

One of Us
May 20, 2008
Snuck in an arvo on the skis up Coronet for the last day of autumn 2014. Skinned up Lower Walk About, Wall Street and Greengates, and skied down Brough's Lane, Tuck and M1. Came across a couple of super keen lads that had hiked to Greengates from the bottom of M1, and built then sessioned a small jump on minimal snow, they were stoked, good effort. Of course conditions were nothing to write home about, aside from 3 or 4 nice soft turns in wind-loaded drifts of manmade snow, but that wasn't the point. It was great to stretch the legs out, and be back on snow once more. Pretty mild up there, I arrived at carpark 1 around 2.20pm and it was 4C there, would probably have been around 2-3C at the top of Greengates. As it stands I suspect there's enough snow to get underway on opening weekend, they might be pushing their luck to have the Greengates chair operating as there wasn't a heck of a lot of snow on Brough's Lane, Greengates, lower Million Dollar and Sarah Sue, but the M1 was well covered. I took a couple of pics on the phone:

20140531_141543.jpg

Bottom of Greengates Express

20140531_143143.jpg

Lower Walk About

20140531_145552.jpg

Wall Street

20140531_150756.jpg

Greengates

20140531_154316.jpg

Top of Greengates Express and Sarah Sue

H

Hacski

Better at home than on the slopes. I'm glad we splurged on the works deluxe on AirNZ, means the entire vacation will be a treat. Even if perchance there was crap or no snow in our first week we'd do something else like a road trip to visit the Anthems. Really looking forward to the next 7 weeks slipping by in no time.

H

Hacski

Coronet web cams are looking encouraging as with Cardrona but The Remarkables are rather bare. A difference in snow making maybe with the latter holding off while they aim to get Curvey Basin completed?

Draizuh

One of Us
Jul 29, 2012
Wakatipu
www.splitboardnz.com
Coronet web cams are looking encouraging as with Cardrona but The Remarkables are rather bare. A difference in snow making maybe with the latter holding off while they aim to get Curvey Basin completed?
The snow making at remarks isnt finished yet and last i heard was much further behind the lift development (which is done), they have done none and cant do any untill its completed.The lift install was done by Poma, NZSki had nothing to do with it. the snow making however is done by them.

We are experiencing inversion here for the last few days, its currently -1 in downtown and 3 degrees up the hills. Snow making can take place but only when the humidity is extremely low..

Red_switch

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2006
Dunedin, NZ
Yeah, outlook for the next week or so aint awesome. Flagged opening day at CP for the first time in a while, looking pretty marginal and warm currently. BC still has a fair bit of fattening up to do too... This mild northerly airflow can fcuk right off!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass