Could Twin Valleys be Australia’s next resort?

kiter

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 21, 2002
Newcastle
Bredbo Has more potential to be a man made snow area like corin forest . Easy access from Canberra and closer to Sydney too not in national park .The snowmaking potential from the Murumbidgee river is excelent . Lots of very cold low humidity nights and mornings

PiedPiper

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 17, 2010
Melbourne Vic
I think the most practical solution to significantly increasing the amount of lift served terrain in Aus is.....
Expand perisher to include paralyzer and little paralyzer, Along with clearing the road throughout winter all the way to the Spencers creek gate/bridge. Create a new base area located here, with some carparkng, food outlets, etc.
(maybe no or limited car parking, and just expand the main parking area)
Likely served via a Bus service from main perisher base/Ski tube.
you could probably drop a lift or two over the back down farm creek way to further expand the lift served area.

Keep the rest of the road to Charlottes snow covered, and that resort maintains it's "unique" status,
but my proposal adds 25-30% more skiable area onto perisher, with minimal impact, the majority of it is above 1800m

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014
It was anticipated to be a resort. Then Blue Cow and Ski Tube put an end to that... I ski it and kind of like it as is. With that said, more lifted terrain seems to be in demand, despite all the relevant environmental forecasting. Perisher could easily be expanded as well but that’s another debatable topic.
There's a huge bowl that retains good cover on the way to Charlottes Pass just pass Mt Perisher. Can't recall if it's the first or second bowl, but a good combination of steeps and intermediate terrain. If you could get a lift or two in there, it wouldn't take much imagination to join up Perisher and Charlottes Pass thereafter with minimal environmental impact?? A carpark is going to be needed ASAP anyway for the crowds now flocking to the Scenic Walkways over the other 8 months of the year.

robbo mcs

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
Detachable chairs get you to the top faster but they don't have any more capacity than a fixed grip because the chairs are further apart

I wish I had a $ for everytime I have tried to explain this to people, but they insist detachables load more people:p. The truth is there is a limit to how often chairs can come through the loading bay, the frequency of chairs is the same with fixed grips and detachables.

As an individual skiier it will give you more runs, as the travel time is less. That is provided there is no queue. However, the total bums on seats per hour is the same.

Not knocking detachables, less time hanging in the air on a cold day is a good thing;)

Oh and next new ski resort in Oz ....... it will not happen in our lifetime. Dream on.​

Billy_Buttons

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Mar 25, 2011
I have to confess in my total 2 days skiing last year I didn’t get to the bottom of high noon more than once. The snow cover was good enough but all the worthwhile skiing is done by the time you hit the gondola.
After the gondola...it's just the runout to the GB. :whistle:

Reactions: Alleve
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Kash

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2007
Sydney
Last year Merrits was quite simply ridiculous, for the days I got there. Just sooooo many people on those skinny runs. Runs which are usually great fun with a fresh groom for a few early laps. That usual morning session wasn't possible as it got congested so quick. And the freshly groomed pack was completely churned and useless by mid morning too.

I think the gondala was an excellent solution to crowding at Thredbo, for those that didnt ride there! I got stuck there once, but made the call not to return on my trip :thumbs:

Reactions: Annabuzzy

VSG

Crayon Master
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com
Some context.

tv ge.jpg

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
Alpine the dark side of snowboarding
...........................Expand perisher to include paralyzer and little paralyzer, ......................Likely served via a Bus service from main perisher base/Ski tube.................................

I reckon the answer to transport / busses is to add a center lane to that whole road, and allow busses to run in until say 2pm and then run that lane the opposite direction until evening. (There would be a couple of tricky bits to that though)
I think the ski tube is already at capacity on the busy days not sure what they can do there or Perisher other than multi layered carparks?

Reactions: Tanuki

ShavedBadger

No Mittens? No Money!
Ski Pass
Apr 30, 2018
Check the latest.

Yeah… nah. Not after last year. Thredbo’s attitude last year really got up my nose. They can’t charge like they do and treat people like that. If the Wange Wover set like that sort of thing then bully for those well-heeled folk, but it’s a great way to turn off families…

Reactions: BlueHue

BlueHue

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2003
South of Cooma
Yeah… nah. Not after last year. Thredbo’s attitude last year really got up my nose. They can’t charge like they do and treat people like that. If the Wange Wover set like that sort of thing then bully for those well-heeled folk, but it’s a great way to turn off families…
hhmm my post, whatever ibwas going to say, was cut off probably due to a PEBKAC issue. Anyway, I agree!

BlueHue

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2003
South of Cooma
Golf Course Bowl would have 2 lifts before that was ever considered.
My tongue was firmly planted in my cheek. GCB across all three resorts is really the only decent sized area at good snow holding altitude and aspects that is inbounds, within lease area and undeveloped. Its the most logical expansion in NSW without having to expand the actual resort lease areas.

VSG

Crayon Master
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com
My crayons are blunt and broken. Software has gone shyte. The good news: dependent on browser, operating system and device, if you click on this image, it goes real big.

Trying to show the overall extent of the fall lines, the vertical on offer, but the forest below about 1600m. And the fact that yes, much of Twin Valleys is in a minor snow shadow. Less snow than further west, and less than higher up. But...

tv view.png

Reactions: skifree

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
My tongue was firmly planted in my cheek. GCB across all three resorts is really the only decent sized area at good snow holding altitude and aspects that is inbounds, within lease area and undeveloped. Its the most logical expansion in NSW without having to expand the actual resort lease areas.
Thredbo had a lease area all the way to Dead Horse Gap but for reasons I cannot comprehend gave it up without any apparent quid pro quo from NPWS. This seemed to happen when NPWS continued to oppose the Tower 10 based lift up toward Karels, ostensibly I was told because of the destruction of some trees (seemingly blind to the hundreds of trees thredbo had planted on the previously windswept plains of the Supertrail). Numpties.

Billy_Buttons

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Mar 25, 2011
My crayons are blunt and broken. Software has gone shyte. The good news: dependent on browser, operating system and device, if you click on this image, it goes real big.

Trying to show the overall extent of the fall lines, the vertical on offer, but the forest below about 1600m. And the fact that yes, much of Twin Valleys is in a minor snow shadow. Less snow than further west, and less than higher up. But...

tv view.png
Looks like Tassie! :nerd:

Reactions: Alleve and VSG

Billy_Buttons

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Mar 25, 2011
Thredbo had a lease area all the way to Dead Horse Gap but for reasons I cannot comprehend gave it up without any apparent quid pro quo from NPWS. This seemed to happen when NPWS continued to oppose the Tower 10 based lift up toward Karels, ostensibly I was told because of the destruction of some trees (seemingly blind to the hundreds of trees thredbo had planted on the previously windswept plains of the Supertrail). Numpties.
Don't worry, when they die it will be put on the table again. :)

Alleve

One of Us
Jun 17, 2019
Southern Sydney
On a much smaller scale, I'd like it if Thredbo built a cat-track from Merritts to FF. Widening and regrading the access track and adding snowmaking could work. It'd be nice to be able to ski from Merritts to FF without taking Dream Run as its too difficult for beginners

Attachments

• 20210518_224303.jpg
    20210518_224303.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Blue Mtns, 1100M.
On a much smaller scale, I'd like it if Thredbo built a cat-track from Merritts to FF. Widening and regrading the access track and adding snowmaking could work. It'd be nice to be able to ski from Merritts to FF without taking Dream Run as its too difficult for beginners
It’s used by uphill traffic to provision the Merritt’s eatery.

Billy_Buttons

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Mar 25, 2011
The whole idea of Merritts is to intentionally entrap the beginners! If they get wise, they will learn to ski and conquer the powder bowl and only then are they allowed to venture further! ;)

VSG

Crayon Master
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com

Yes. Good idea.

Screenshot_20210519-041154.jpg
Screenshot_20210519-041115.jpg

skinavy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 7, 2001
Canberra, ACT
Make it into a toboggan run ala The Spielberghaus

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
One logical outcome of Twin Valleys as a Resort would be it would become linked to da Bo and Perisher and CP so there would be a huge interlinked ski field each with it's own lift tickets as per Niseko (and many other amalgam ski fields) of old. It would only require maybe 4 chairs to do it.

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
One logical outcome of Twin Valleys as a Resort would be it would become linked to da Bo and Perisher and CP so there would be a huge interlinked ski field each with it's own lift tickets as per Niseko (and many other amalgam ski fields) of old. It would only require maybe 4 chairs to do it.
You'd be screwed on wind hold days! Could end up at CP with car at Thredbo and no way home.

BlueHue

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2003
South of Cooma
Use the cat between CP and Perisher to link them. Allow drop offs/pick ups (ie 5 unbooked seats on each cat) at the CP boundary off Guthries and Eyre, almost halves the distance travelled in the cat.

As for CP to Thredbo, one very long tri-cable funitel. Starts where current beginner areas is behind Friday Flat bistro and straight lines to a little below Mt Stillwell and down to village staying just east of and below ridgeline between Stillwell and top of Twin Valleys. Alignment allows mids at Stillwell top and near Vortex top (both about 2000m just below wind scour zones) and bottom of Vortex (~1700m). No groomers, cut runs etc - a more GCB type experience for Vortex and Stillwell's north face trees except for maybe one blue groomer from Stillwell top running under Kangaroo Ridge to CP village. Would still be fair distance from Twin Valleys (which stays out of bounds) due to Thredbo angle on alignment, so although it makes it a lot easier to get to the top of runs, effort is still required to get out. 6km long. Totally doable for the right $$ ;). Bingo 3 resorts linked, two new off-piste adventures and Little Paralyser/Paralyser/Twin Valleys remain as touring areas, albeit a little easier to get too.

Reactions: skifree
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass