1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

CP Summers

Discussion in 'Charlotte Pass' started by kiter, Dec 13, 2017.

1. kiter

kiter One of Us

I am curious as to what CP has planned for summers now that the 40 year head lease is in the bag . Surely summers were discussed .I see on the website (thats a bit stale BTW ) there is a small summer section that says that the bistro at the hotel will be open during the day from dec 27 which is good . I was looking at the Cardrona website and Summers look great there . Surely with Australians finally discovering that our mountains are an awesome destination in summer and that Mountain biking and carting (as in cardrona ) and with Thredbo getting pretty hectic in Summer that there is potential for CP and Perisher to get in on it (or do National Parks dept only want summer development restricted to Thredbo ) CP seems ideal as it has a cosy village set up centred on an area

Untele-whippet and malas1 like this.
  2. Tree Breaker Bob

Tree Breaker Bob Addicted

I am sure that NP&WS wanted CPV to open in summer but Kevin was not keen, that was one of the sticking points

Stillwell lodge used to open in summer for refreshments, don't know if they still do

Bob

3. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Pretty sure Stilwell is closed this year. Id say in summer people are quite happy to drive up for the day, rather than stay in a not as isolated as winter lodge.

It has taken Thredbo over 20 years to get where they are now with MTB, CP and Perisher have completely missed that boat, even if it were possible for them to get on in the first place.

4. kaegee

kaegee One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Had a great NYE there once at ,and staying in , the Chalet but ... it was bout 35 yrs ago .:)

5. kiter

kiter One of Us

Good to see this thread is gaining momentum . Was up there this week and did the loop would have killed for a beer down at the chalet after 24 km walk . I get why it's not open now and I get that not having it in the lease that you have to open on summer is important how ever if the option to open is there I think it's worth having a look at . Maybe even a sub lease to a savvy switched on operator . With great operators and social media savvy marketing now days I'm sure an iconic place such as the chalet could build a successful summer and easter hols biz . Frankly Thredbo is getting too hectic in summer and I know a lot of people would go and stay at cp in summer . Yep it might get just as hectic as Thredbo and some people might not like that but i personally think that it would be great to get it going and it could work

malas1 likes this.
  6. Tree Breaker Bob

Tree Breaker Bob Addicted

Our lodge SASC is open for summer bookings, very cheap and of course self catering, but we have periods where it's closed due to the continual fire upgrades that are required

Usually have a summer manager up there

Bob

7. kiter

kiter One of Us

I can see potential for a bike hire and e bike hire and bar/ cafe and accomodation , maybe Stilwell would be interested if the chalet aren't . I see that there are a number of e bike tours going in the snowys now , potential here too with cp as a base .

8. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

The ability to take ones dog hiking on leash would open up a big market.

9. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

The world needs less organised tours IMO.

10. BlueHue

BlueHue One of Us

Spent a few hours in the village the other day, very nice spot indeed in summer, kids did a bit of 'bouldering' in the creek as they called it. I would happily spend a day or two there if a few low-key offerings were available. Aside from lack of bike hire and couple more food/bev options, I think most of what they need is already there. Just needs a bit of advertising to get plebs making better use of the accomodation and trails already available in and around the village.

kiter likes this.
  11. kiter

kiter One of Us

Yep it won't take much

12. SMSkier

SMSkier One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I’m a member also. It’s a great spot for families summer and winter if you like being away from the crowds and enjoying the mountains!

13. citizenkane

citizenkane Hard Yards

some of the lodges do working parties for a weekend during the summer, why don't the lodges do this at the same time like they used to (so I've heard). it would be easy to organise and probably more social.