1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

"Crackdown on tyre safety for snow-goers"

Discussion in 'Mt Buller' started by snowtyres, Jun 9, 2019.

1. snowtyres

snowtyres Addicted Ski Pass: Gold

2. hipo

hipo One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

[mod note - abuse not necessary]
    Anyone were interested in the safety of drivers and passengers would be promoting safer driving techniques along with demonstrations and lessons in the snow instead of pushing a partial aid to benefit a particular business that won't solve the problem of bad driving.
    Have a look on You tube and see how many videos there are of cars in winter defined areas/ winter tyres that go sliding off into each other that in most cases a better driving technique would have prevented.
    I hope you people in Melbourne push back hard against this.

3. MickM

MickM One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

^^ this. More about the person behind the wheel. I suspect most of the problems are not in the village anyway, more likely from the occasional visitor, inexperienced driver way further down the mountain.

I have driven to the Aus resorts for 35 years in days of non-radial tyres with drum brakes all around (ladder chains) and never had a problem.

Driving to the conditions & knowing your limitations (incl vehicle) is way more important than tyres. Might even be worse with everyone on snow tyres, false sense of security?

dawooduck likes this.
  4. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

How's this for a rip snorter?

How about snow goers /drivers do both: fit decent rubber AND drive carefully to the conditions.

Not sure we're talking specific mountains here but from my time going to Buller/Stirling.; around 20% drivers shouldn't be allowed to drive a go cart around a deserted car park.

...I might add; some road improvements: widening and road surface from Melbourne to each mountain, inc. Buller wouldn't hurt. Not 'just' fine speedsters and breath/drug test - although that's part of the solution.

Jacko4650 likes this.
  5. MickM

Absolutey, but it shouldn't be forced on all the people who drive carefully. Just another over zealous rule for the nanny state.

6. mx_boarder

mx_boarder Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Errr...you do realise this is merely the enforcement of an existing requirement?

#6 mx_boarder, Jun 9, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2019
  7. emkae

emkae One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Plus this is only relevant for the very small proportion of people driving in the village at buller, not your average punter driving up to buller

CarveMan and mx_boarder like this.
  8. bawbawbel

bawbawbel Easi Ski..... Ski Pass: Gold

MOST visitor vehicles at Hotham are big heavy 4WD with ordinary A/T tyres.
    Usually bought with snow trips in mind.
    Effective and safe without snowflake symbols.
    Traffic quickly gets road surface temperatures into positive.
    Politics gets brain function into negative.

9. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

that's what I assumed. it reads like it is for all resort entry season pass holders but I'm assuming it is only for people with village permits. the former would be ridiculous but the latter is not too bad

10. mx_boarder

mx_boarder Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Correct.

The regs have not changed at all. The only 'new' thing here is that instead of relying on a good faith declaration on the application form, you now have to prove your tyres are compliant.

No big deal for anyone already doing the right thing, and will weed out those who have been taking the piss up until now.

CarveMan, currawong and MickM like this.
  11. Alexg1687

Alexg1687 First Runs

I’ve always thought people drive too quickly in the village. I’m interested to see how the avenue will function. On the back side of the new Kooroora development it’s built all the way to the road. On the slight bend opposite southern cross ski club the pedestrians will be forced onto the road and drivers have limited visibility. Add a shaded area and high speed and it doesn’t look good.

12. MickM

Ah ok, :thumbs:

13. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

The last 2 winters the Buller Village has been a shitshow on a few snowy Friday nights thanks to a few peanuts with slick rubber. The police were forced to make everyone chain up including the people who have done the right thing and have the appropriate tyres.

Fortunately I missed all that but it would have given me the royal shits if I had to fit chains on an eminently capable vehicle thanks to a few idiots.

The new enforcement of the existing tyre rule is great. Don’t want to get the right tyres? Park in the car parks and get a taxi.

dibl0c, Seth, mx_boarder and 2 others like this.
  14. hipo

hipo One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I took the article 'seasonal car-pass permit holders' to refer to the seasonal car park entry. If it refers to only the village entry then I was wrong.
    However, I would be diligent to ensure that the requirement doesn't spread.

currawong and teckel like this.
  15. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I suspect that the article was deliberately written to give the wrong impression.

16. N0frilz

N0frilz Hard Yards

what a bullshit report written to mislead people.

Winter driving experience is 1000000x more valuable than having winter tyres. I’ve ran my/at/ht tyres over the years and to be honest there isn’t much difference between them.

Hell I recon a rear diff lock makes a bugger difference to getting traction.

crackson and Tanuki like this.
  17. bawbawbel

bawbawbel Easi Ski..... Ski Pass: Gold

Last time I was at Buller (long time) I watched a skier coming off the lower Blue Bullet get collected by a skidding local 4wd.
    Don't tell me that similar stuff is still happening and the "crackdown" is a cheap buck pass ?

18. Shredderman

Shredderman Addicted

The difference to driving in the village and driving up the Buller road to the car park is why they need to enforce this rule. Good drivers can negotiate a drive up (and down) the Buller Rd without snow tyres as its not particularly steep at any point.

However in the Village if you are driving down the road from Arlberg to where the ski patrol hut is its pretty steep and and can be very icy. If you don't have snow tyres it is very difficult to get any grip coming down that hill. As a result in the past plenty of 4wds struggle to stop when invariably a skier or pedestrians cross the road in front of them as they lock up. Most cars lock up until they hit the heated part of the road outside the ambulance garage. I have seen it many times. You might be the greatest driver in the world but if your tyres are frozen like steel you wont be able to slow down quickly enough.

The same issue happens on the road leaving the village down to Hells corner, plenty lock up and slide straight through the hairpin corner, when icy it is treacherous without snow tyres or chains. Every season you see cars who have slid off the road here, if another car (or bus) is coming around the corner then the collison will shut the road for ages.

So why not enforce the requirement and reduce the chance of pedestrians or other cars being hit? And you know to gain winter driving experience you have to start somewhere, not everyone who drives to the snow is a winter driving God and some who think they are, clearly are not.

19. wolly

wolly One of Us

Maybe everyone who drives in the village needs a hazardous area licence

20. CarveMan

You used to need one to go up the old summit road when it was in front of Chalet/Abom etc.

dibl0c likes this.
  21. wolly

wolly One of Us

Was it a hazardous or just a special summit road pass. I remember the old road well.

22. CarveMan

It was some sort of hazardous endorsement - my best mate used to have a flat at Beehive and he had to go to DECA in Shepparton to get it.

23. wolly

wolly One of Us

And the endorsement didnt help a lot of drivers

24. LiveToSki

LiveToSki One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

We went up that road for years - probably the most fun 4WD'ing we did - not sure we ever had a special licence... :whistle: