Crazy cheap QF flights to Chile in Aug18

Discussion in 'Flights' started by Kash, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Kash

Kash Hard Yards

Flights to Santiago next month for around $1,100: Latam there and QF direct coming home. Amazing deal considering that from there Portillo is a couple of hours drive away. Daily lift passes for $50, 700m+ vert with 8m of snowfall per year and minimal crowds.

Seems like a quality deal. So basically for the 1.5 weeks of skiing we were planning to do as a family, we'd spend less in Portillo or Las Lenas then Perisher or Queenstown....

azzski, parkmonkey, Born2ski and 4 others like this.
  2. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty!
    Ski Pass - Gold

Great deal.
    Go!
    Love Chile

3. Froff Life

Froff Life A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

Fantastic prices! The time zone difference and travel duration are big factors though when going for a short amount of time (1.5 weeks).

essjaywhy likes this.
  4. Crystal

Crystal Sand skier extraordinaire
    Moderator Ski Pass - Gold

Cancel skiing here....go there :)

Kash likes this.
  5. robbo mcs

robbo mcs One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

I thought they were not having a great season this year?

6. Born2ski

Born2ski Part of the Furniture

So now you understand why I take my family overseas every year. ;)

Kash likes this.
  7. parkmonkey

parkmonkey Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

hhmmmmmmmmmm

8. Ozgirl

Ozgirl A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

Amazing opening - it snow in santiago, which is not common I am told!

9. robbo mcs

robbo mcs One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

10. Kash

Kash Hard Yards

Yeah agree with that, but 2-3 weeks then makes it even cheaper compared to oz! Chile would have a serious jet lag factor, and with a 3 year old it makes it unfeasible. Nice to dream though, and to share with some of you guys that aren't as tied down!

I do remember looking at Chile flights in previous years and they were always $1600 to 2000+ so this could be a rare amazing deal. There are so many resorts near Santiago and Valle Nevado is meant to be just as good. Im sure on snow accom will also be slightly less than the $900 per night for peak season in Perisher ;)

Froff Life likes this.
  11. Ozgirl

Ozgirl A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

haha - im planning it for only a week next year. You only live once!

May or may not have a 11mth old with me!

12. Crystal

Crystal Sand skier extraordinaire
    Moderator Ski Pass - Gold

I had a trip booked to Chile when my 1st born was aged 2. :) Don't let kids hold you back. We canceled last minute as +1 got retrenched and had to work out a lengthy notice period. Did many weeks in Canada at the end instead.

Ozgirl likes this.
  13. LMB

Ski Pass - Gold

We went for a week.
    The adrenaline of the ski day kept us awake during the day, and if you ski hard enough thru the day you’ll sleep at night.

Only problem we had was not being able to do much evening Apres because we couldnt keep our eyes open. Probably a good thing! LOL

But yes, with little kids I reckon go for 2 weeks at least.

14. Ozgirl

Ozgirl A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

You have offering to fund the honeymoon??

LOL

15. LMB

Ski Pass - Gold

LOL

If I win tonight’s 20mill powerball you’re on! And I’ll come with, and bring a Nanny :p

Ozgirl and Froff Life like this.
  16. Born2ski

Born2ski Part of the Furniture

We've been heading overseas every year to ski since our kids were 6 months old - Europe, North America, Japan. In my experience the kids get more sleep on the flights and recover better than us older adults.

Kash likes this.
  17. Zeroz

Zeroz One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Sydney - Santiago is an easy flight, plenty of seats last year in Aug & Sept.
    My tip for Sth America skiing is to go in mid to late August but wait until the last minute to book.

Chile and Argentina have massive variations in snowfall. Legendary conditions v dirt. Some bad years 2010-2016.
    The snow comes in huge dumps as storms slow as they hit the Andes. Then it's very, very sunny. Timing is key.

Last year I arrived in mid Aug when conditions weren't good but the snow forecast was great. Day 1 was crap.

Day 2.... then kept on snowing

18. pmbten

pmbten Hard Yards

I’m heading over to Santiago for work in early September. Have some free time and looking for advice.
    Arrive Santiago Friday night at about 8pm.
    Don’t have to be back in Santiago until Wednesday late arvo for work through to Sunday then fly home.
    Should I stay in Santiago and day trip it?
    Should I get out of town and stay somewhere else for a couple of nights?
    Which resorts are going to suit a high end intermediate snowboarder who loves big mountain powder, not interested in parks and jumps. Favourite mountain for ref - Treble Cone & Anupuri backbowls Niseko.
    I’m thinking Portillo for a couple of days or do I split it up with different mountains.
    It has all come up very quickly so haven’t had time to research so coming to the experts for tips.
    Thanks in advance.

19. parkmonkey

parkmonkey Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

Do Portillo or Valle Nevado/El Colorado/La Pava combo. The roads are pretty crazy, i wouldn't drive them anymore than you have to, if there's good snow fall they often close in one direction. I got taken up at night and we had to wait for all traffic to come down off the hill before we were able to drive up (this was 10yrs ago but not sure much has changed).
    There's accomodation ranging from pretty cheap hostel accomodation through in Farellones, a couple of kms from El Colorado, La Pava not much further and 16kms to Valle Navado back around the other side (i used to ski down to the road and hitch up to Valle Nevado then ski back across El Colorado to come home in the arvo via happy hour). All 3 resorts can be linked by ski lifts and there's also accommodation bars clubs at the base of their chairlifts, you can buy passes for each individual resort but think you can get a 3 resort pass too.
    I didn't ski Poritllo but looks likes there's just the one lodge there?

These resorts in the north are all well above the tree line (not great if the weather comes in but it was one or the other when i was there, snowing or blue bird, didn't know where we were coming home one arvo as the weather came in), there is plenty of side country (Advanced to Extreme), inbounds has so fun stuff but nothing crazy

LMB and pmbten like this.
  20. LMB

Ski Pass - Gold

It’s still pretty much up at one time and down at another, outside of that you need to wait for a pilot vehicle to take you so you can wait at wide areas for the main traffic to pass before tackling the next bit.

21. essjaywhy

essjaywhy Addicted

off to Yoga class tomo;
    nearly 50cm forecast at VNevado on Tues eve
    & Yes my skis are waxed and waiting here ...

Kash, parkmonkey and LMB like this.
  22. essjaywhy

essjaywhy Addicted

-5; new 20 cm, still going til the pm, 40 kph and drifting this morning. VN closed. All is to plan ...Sunny windless & 6 deg tomo , but massive temp climb not so great

23. Ozgirl

Ozgirl A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

Portillo only have only a few weeks in a season that you can stay for half weeks. So not sure your dates it would be possible to go to Portillo?

And am sure they are like charlottes of old and no day trippers?

24. rugbyskier

rugbyskier One of Us

No, there are a limited number of lift passes available for day trippers. I did a day trip to Portillo in August 2015.

Ozgirl likes this.
  25. pmbten

pmbten Hard Yards

Just did the El Colorado/Valle Nevado/La Parva combo over the past 3 days - awesome time!! Bluebird spring conditions each day - icy early then lots of fun once the sun did it's thing. Big mountains, long runs and incredible scenery. No fresh snow for us unfortunately but the positives were so good it did not matter (plus I had 2 days of powder at Hotham the weekend before we flew out).
    We stayed in Santiago and made the return journey each day - very easy when I'm used to doing Buller day trips from Melbourne.
    We used the services of a local - Ignacio - to drive us and ride with us around the mountain each day. Took us everywhere and takes care of lunch, water, snacks, etc. Great service from a great bloke who has lived in Aust and NZ so speaks English very well. You can find him here and happy to recommend -https://abnb.me/QbpfKI0xCP?user_id=41245938&s=50
    Now I need to check in to a conference and get myself in to work mode while wishing I was still up in the Andes having the time of my life.

Attached Files:

Zeroz, BoofHead, essjaywhy and 4 others like this.
  26. Kopite

Kopite Addicted

Which conference are you at?

This is definately on the list for us - wife is half Chilean and has never been out, so I think in a few years when they kids are a bit older we'll be headed over.

27. BoofHead

BoofHead One of Us
    Ski Pass - Silver

Will be in Santiago in a couple of weeks. Unfortunately, not for skiing. Stopover on way to Cusco for Inca Trail hike. Hope to ski Chile in the future.