1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Credit Card in Hakuba

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Crawf, Jan 9, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Crawf

Crawf Hard Yards

I am travelling to Hakuba for a quick ski trip on the cheap in a fortnight for a week. I have been there before, however can't remember if many places took card. I prefer to pay on CC where possible with no international transaction fees charged by my provider (and a lot better exchange rate than cash).

Accomodation is prepaid, breakfast included and lift tickets sorted. Essentially just need to fund eating and drinking. I usually only swap out a small amount of cash.

Do most places now accept card in Hakuba? If I demo some wider skis will they require cash or card ok?

thanks.

2. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

To go out eating and drinking carry cash, most places will not accept card. Ski hire will be OK. Expect to pay a 4% surcharge when you can use your card at any small business as the fees to the shop etc are very high and that love needs to be passed on.

Froff Life likes this.
  3. Froff Life

Froff Life A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Cash is king at most of the bars and restaurants. Get some Yen before you head over and set yourself up with a Citi Bank debit card (free) for atm withdrawals if you need to get cash out.