Crested Butte & Telluride. Who's been?

Discussion in 'United States' started by Wardy, May 18, 2018.

1. Wardy

Wardy One of Us

Thinking of these two for a week each from mid-Jan; can anyone shed any light? Reviews are generally very positive, people love the towns, the terrain sounds funky. Snow depth may be an issue early season, but from mid-Jan probably ok? Cheers

2. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

3. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

Yeah these are two mountains that generally you want to visit a little later in the season (from everything I have read), particularly if you want access to the extreme terrain. Doesn't mean it can't be good in January though.

4. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum
    Ski Pass - Gold

I've been to Telluride a couple of times. Good range of terrain, from beginner to what maniac calls that a run? Lots of trees and chutes, but some great cruising. If I have one criticism it is that (apart from Gold Hill) there is a real split between hard and cruisy runs. The hard runs are on the old town side and the cruising is on the Mountain Village side of the ridge. If you are a party of mixed ability you may not see each other very often. lots of bumps on the old town side.

It is pretty isolated so doesn't seem to get big crowds, but I haven't been in peak season.

There are two groups of accommodation - the old town and the Mountain Village. The old town is great. Funky bars and excellent restaurants all over the place. The Mountain Village is relatively modern and soulless - the funk is in the old town - but there is a free gondola between them that runs quite late so access is easy. The Mountain Village is more likely to be ski in/out.

http://www.wikiski.com/wiki/index.php/Telluride

5. piolet

piolet Found anything yet?
    Ski Pass - Gold

Telluride is great!! Haven't been to CB but heard great things about it too

Stay in the town, it's fab. Dodgy fixed chairs to start your day and devilish moguls home to finish

Amazing and unique mountain area, tricky, tricky snowpack if going OOB.

Gobsmackingly beautiful.

I'd go back for sure.

6. Wardy

Wardy One of Us

Nice. Cheers. And I've just discovered they're both on the Epic Pass.

7. piolet

Ski Pass - Gold

Kind of isolated and a pain to get to but that's part of the charm

Wardy likes this.
  8. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Rate Telluride very highly. Liked much more than Jackson Hole. Is Kirkwood on steroids. As mentioned, stay in old town.

Wardy likes this.
  9. skifree

skifree Part of the Furniture
    Moderator Ski Pass - Gold

Been to CB, it was good, will go again.

Wardy likes this.
  10. shabu_shabu

shabu_shabu Addicted

We were in Telluride in January. Lean season this year. As others have alluded to it is out of the way but well worth the visit. The town is a great ski town. If the snow is on, it would be awesome. Even in a lean season, which we experienced, the skiing was good. The locals say the later the better.

Wardy likes this.
  11. Summit

Summit Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

Maybe the favourite two small towns that I've seen...make that definitely ! And the skiing's bloody good as well, particularly Telluride.

Wardy likes this.
  12. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum
    Ski Pass - Gold

Wardy and piolet like this.
  13. MarzNC

MarzNC Hard Yards

Checked out Telluride for the first time in Feb because of the MCP. We went to Taos for a week first. My friends and I were at Telluride over Pres. Day weekend, so presumably more crowded than usual. Lift lines were only an issue on a powder morning on The Plunge triple, perhaps a 15 min wait. But that's supposed to be upgraded to a quad by next season. When the upper mountain lifts are on wind hold, takes a while to go between the two sides of the resort. Although there is enough on each side for a day.

Town is nice. Only issue can be overnight parking. Don't really need a car. Lodging and restaurant food is on the expensive side. Good quality, but few bargains to be found. Restaurants were pretty packed in the evenings because it was a holiday period.

My ski buddy likes Crested Butte even more than he likes Telluride. Both the town and terrain. He's an older advanced/expert skier who lives in NM.

Relatively low snow when we arrived 17Feb2018. Then got 9 inches in about 12 hours.

14. piolet

Ski Pass - Gold

Yeah we parked the car and didn't use it once whilst there

15. Wardy

Wardy One of Us

Booked 'em.

MarzNC, piolet and absentskier like this.
  16. Slowman

Slowman Addicted
    Ski Pass - Gold

Consider an overnight stay in Denver to help adjust to the altitude. In the old town of Telluride try Taco Gnar for dinner. Really good food for a good price and huge $5 margaritas before 6pm.

17. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

Had a week at CB, but it was 27 years ago. Cool town, cover was a bit scratchy but skiing North face was pretty cool / challenging.

Wardy likes this.
  18. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

Let’s hope it’s a ripper season.

19. Nidecker

Nidecker One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Yea I'm in the same boat, 20 years ago, what an amazing place. definitely one for the skiers bucket list

20. MarzNC

MarzNC Hard Yards

Two of my friends flew out of Montrose. The one-way car rental from ABQ made sense for them to reach Taos and Telluride to avoid another travel day back to ABQ. One flight out was delayed but did eventually took off.

21. Wardy

Wardy One of Us

Good advice, doing that. I'll put the Taco joint on the list.

22. Wardy

Wardy One of Us

Yup, for everyone :thumbs:

23. Wardy

Wardy One of Us

Tried to get a points flight out of Montrose but the QFF website wouldn't process it. Flying out of Durango (to LA) instead.

MarzNC likes this.
  24. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

Back in 91 I flew Denver to Gunnison, then bus to CB. I recall quite a few loud Texans on the bus trip, but don't recall seeing any of them skiing North Face.

25. Wardy

Wardy One of Us

LOL

26. MarzNC

MarzNC Hard Yards

If you have time for a meal in Durango, my ski buddy's favorite microbrewery for lunch or dinner is Steamworks. We stopped there for lunch driving from Telluride to Albuquerque going the scenic route over the higher passes and Silverton. Durango seemed like a decent place to stay. He lives close enough to go to Durango several times during the winter for nordic skiing in the area, as well as a few days at Purgatory.

Wardy likes this.
  27. Nidecker

Nidecker One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

I spent a month there in early season, watched lines of locals side stepping that Nth Face after each snowfall, to compact the snow and decrease Avalanche risk. They apparently were doing it for free lift passes.

#27 Nidecker, May 23, 2018
    Last edited: May 24, 2018
    Wardy and Summit like this.
  28. Summit

Ski Pass - Gold

When you drive down to Durango, drop into historic Ouray for a look. The drive just south of there offers awesome views of the town, was as scary as hell in 1992, but probably has safety barriers now.

Wardy likes this.
  29. Summit

Ski Pass - Gold

About 15 years ago they had free lift passes from opening until Christmas high season for a few years.

30. MarzNC

MarzNC Hard Yards

Road isn't much wider would be my guess. Although perhaps at least part of the road was re-paved relatively recently. There was still ice/snow on shaded curves soon on the switchbacks just after Ouray. I got to enjoy the views as my friend did the driving. There was a snowstorm that dropped 9-12 inches on Telluride a couple days before. I noticed the checkpoints and warning signs about chains and/or AWD with snow tires. We saw snowplows continuing to work on the road. It was mid-Feb 2018 so relatively low snow levels but it was obviously going snow more sooner or later.

Probably takes 90 min on dry road for the 45 miles between Ouray and Purgatory. Took us about 3 hours from Telluride to Durango but that included driving around the town of Silverton and a few short stops for pictures after the hour on relatively flat, dry road from Telluride to Ouray.

whether, Wardy, blowfin and 2 others like this.
  31. Nidecker

Nidecker One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

That would be the month I spent there :) Happy days.... Although sleeping in the Van at minus 40degrees was memorable. It is the coldest US location south of the Canadian border I believe.

edit: you had to front the ticket office each day for a pass though. I still have one somewhere

32. Summit

Ski Pass - Gold

Yeah, I can remember hearing about CB being colder than surrounding areas. Walking 5 minutes between the great modern youth hostel and Elk Avenue at night was well and truly cold enough !

33. Beerman

Beerman One of Us
    Ski Pass - Silver

Cause it's bigger in Texas, the North face obviously not worth it.....LOL

34. Kash

Kash Hard Yards

Done a week in Telluride and a day trip to CB from there. Recommend both highly, before the epic pass crowds really kick in.

Telluride is a great town. Fun vibe, pretty and the terrain is wild. The tree runs are special if you have someone to show you around.

If going to Telluride - flying in is something special. Google the airport.

Wardy, Fozzie Bear and piolet like this.
  35. shabu_shabu

shabu_shabu Addicted

Still no barriers as at January 2018. Still as scary. The drive over Red Mountain Pass down to Silverton and then Durango is one of the great drives. Driving back to Telluride via Rico, and who doesn’t want to visit a town called Rico, is the perfect one day drive if the snow isn’t quite happening at Telluride. Useless trivia: songman CW McCall of Convey and Wolf Creek Pass fame was mayor of Ouray for a number of years and a lot of the original True Grit was filmed in the area.

36. Nidecker

Nidecker One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Hmmm We were driving north from AZ. so that was our first night drive in the big ford f150 van, and as it turned out, also the first drive in snow. At night time you can't see the drop off :) The snow got heavier we drove on more determined, fishtailing occasionally. We arrived at Silverton and slept the night. Next morning, woke up and a truck had overturned blocking our onward journey. So we drove back down.... Only to notice what we couldn't see at night time No guard rails, massive drop off etc. Kinda scary on reflection, definitely would have informed our decision to fit chains. I was younger then though, so obviously a way more skilled driver and decision maker . :p

Some memorabilia below

shabu_shabu, whether and Summit like this.
  37. Wardy

Wardy One of Us

Yeah cool

38. Wardy

Wardy One of Us

Great stuff!

39. Slowman

Slowman Addicted
    Ski Pass - Gold

There is also good touring terrain along Red Mountain Pass. This photo was taken there in January. Good skiing up there despite the generally poor snow cover this season.

40. piolet

Ski Pass - Gold

Nice! Any more pics?

Op; if you were thinking about tride; just go! It's great :)

41. Zeroz

Zeroz One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Telluride pics from 2015. If you can ski well then there are plenty of challenging areas. More info:
    coloradoskiauthority.com/telluride/hike-to-terrain and http://www.tellurideoffpiste.com/palmyra_peak/

If can ski really well, and have the gear and experience, then Bear Creek, off the back of Revelation Bowl.
    Access gates on Gold Hill. www.tellurideoffpiste.com/bear_creek. Local knowledge imperative:

Bear Creek is a sprawling, steep, chute-choked drainage; it’s some of the best lift-accessed backcountry in the country.
    It’s also some of the most technical and treacherous. More skier deaths have occurred in Bear Creek than at any other location in the county, and all avalanche-related deaths were caused by extreme trauma, not suffocation.

An old photo of Bear Creek. Revelation Bowl now has a quad from the bottom to the top left.
    [​IMG]

42. Slowman

Slowman Addicted
    Ski Pass - Gold

Just this one. Too busy skiing to take any more!

43. piolet

Ski Pass - Gold

Awww yiisssss!!

44. Wardy

Wardy One of Us

Booked!

piolet likes this.
  45. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

It looks like an expensive place?

46. Summit

Ski Pass - Gold

There was a great youth hostel on Oak Street when I first there in 1992, but it was a private residence within a few years. I don't know that there's any cheap places to stay there now, and it's not like you can stay in a cheap motel in a nearby town because Telluride is so wonderfully isolated ! Other than accommodation, it's not too bad, probably the next level cheaper than Beaver Creek, Deer Valley, Vail, Aspen, so probably similar to Breck and Steamboat.

47. Wardy

Wardy One of Us

We did fine. Good value nice apartment for 5 of us plus an Epic Pass

48. fmdc9

fmdc9 Hard Yards

Whats 'good value' in $?

49. Summit

Ski Pass - Gold

Are you staying in town or at Mountain Village ?

50. Summit

Ski Pass - Gold

Come to think of it, last time I stayed there in 2013 it wasn't too expensive, but that was September. It was a two bedroom upstairs apartment in an old building on Main Street, with an old way of doing things. Booked on a US booking site, but paid on the second day by walking across the street to the office of the eccentric old owner and handing over the foldy stuff !

Wardy likes this.