1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Crispi Svartissen NNN-BC boots

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Ziggy, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy Repreived Ski Pass: Gold

Here's my first impressions ...
    I got them as part of my return to light touring gear for everything apart from resort telemarking. The first pair of boots I got were Madshus Glittertind but I've been spoiled by plastic when it comes to edge control and was looking for more.
    The Crispis are solid leather with a more substantial plastic cuff, an instep strap and a high rand. The cuff has been described as carbon fibre actually but I wouldn't know.
    In summary, they do provide more edge control and this is as much from the stiffer boot shell as the straps.
    They are like their plastic Evo big brother in having a relatively generous heel section which doesn't suit my feet and I scored a blister on the right heel in the first outing. I've got a Scarpa foot.
    I did a groomed trail scoot with Fischer Outbounds which count as track skis in the quiver and then a long gentle resort run with Madshus Epochs.
    Kick and glide action is very natural and easy.
    Snow plough, herringbone, parallel and step turns on the Epochs ditto.

Tech stuff ...
    The straps are toothed and the buckle levers work like ratchets with a central button release. Neat.
    The rand is high and will help with walking in snow.
    There's a Goretex liner which is pointless and a waste of money.
    The specs say nothing about insulation. There's something there but not much.
    They came from Telemarkdown whose advice re size was essential. The boots run a size larger, maybe 1.5 - assuming medium thickness socks.
    They also come in a 75mm version and there's some out there with an integral gaiter.

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  2. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

How do they compare then to the old Red Scarpa T2?

Goski likes this.
  3. Ziggy

Not in the same class so no point in comparing.

4. pegasusSki

pegasusSki Hard Yards

Nice one Ziggy : I have an Alpine Alaska in NNN-BC, [nice boot], but I am still considering a soft boot with 75mm for longer tours as my foot problems are not the best with plastic. I have been getting by with AT if I take it easy.

Ziggy likes this.
  5. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

Fischer make a good duck bill BC XC boot.

6. Dropknee diehard

Dropknee diehard First Runs

Gidday Ziggy
    I too want to go back to my light touring/xcd/xc roots so I have bought a pair of waxing glitterands skis figuring this ski is possibly the best around compromise ski to head out on the nordic tracks kicking and gliding, then off the tracks up a ridge either diagonal skating herringboning or using my old skinny skins up to the plateau on top to skate across on the velvet corn eye off a bowl then xcd back onto the nordic track to do it all over again. Constant moving, constant changes in technique as the snow and terrain dictate.
    I have the ski but do you reckon I should mount my voile 3 pins and use my low-cut scarpa leathers or go to NNN BC and use the Svartissen or similar. I am thinking skating maybe easier with NNN BC as the heel recovery may snap back aa little easier.

I used to xc race so have that gear but want to get into light touring which is the hole in my quiver. I too have a Scarpa foot 28.00 so what size Svartisen do you think I could be....Whats your Scarpa to Svartisen sizing?

cheers

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  7. Ziggy

Fit your leather boot into a binding clamped down. Grab the ankle and twist. How much rotation do you get before encountering noticeable resistance?
    Go down one, at least in Euro size, in the Svartisen. I'm 42 and 41 is roomy.