Croatia, Slovenia & Czech Trek

Discussion in 'Europe' started by rime noreason, Apr 11, 2019.

1. rime noreason

rime noreason One of Us

Have this Soul Mate, they said.
    It'll be fun, they said.

I did and it was. Until we discovered Soul Mate doesn't ski. Soul Mate doesn't even like snow. Despite this major flaw, we have had remarkably good holidays for years.

That's because I go skiing in the USA while SM goes fishing in New Zealand. Our Yours and Mine holidays have worked terrifically. Until a few months ago when this happened.

Let's go to Europe together. SM said. It will be fun, SM said.

My thoughts go straight to Zermatt, Dolomites, Chamonix, Verbier and all the other places I've read trip reports about and salivated over for years. I can work with that

Until SM says we should go in May so we can enjoy the Croatian coast and swim in the ocean. Apparently that's also when most things that have closed over winter have re opened. SM did the homework.

So we'll be spending 5 weeks together (5 exceptionally long weeks with no snow) through Czech Republic, Slovenia and Croatia.

Did I mentioned, in an extraordinary coincidence it also happens to be peak fly fishing season in Slovenia. How handy. For one of us. Which isn't me

I don't know how to holiday if I'm not dragging my ski bag like a fifth limb. How do I occupy my hands when they've always been wrapped in ski gloves, gripping my poles as if my life depends on them (Which it frequently does). Do I stroll along quaint cobblestone lanes and on mountains that are covered in spongy green stuff instead of fluffy snow, and occupy my hands by holding SM's?

I assume there's not even a glimmer of hope that somewhere around the Julian Alps and Lake Bled there would be a chance of skiing in early June?

In which case, aside from the usual tourist things,does anyone have must-do non skiing recommendations in these areas?

CarveMan and dawooduck like this.
  2. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us
    Ski Pass: Silver

Good excuse to case the area for a solo winter trip later on. I have aimed to ski those areas a couple of time but the weather or other circumstances have re-routed me toward Austria and the Dolomites. Like Slovakia, the skiing may not be world best standard but the immersion in a different culture, language and so on is nonetheless very enjoyable. You may have white powder withdrawal symptoms for the first few days but I'm sure you will get over it. We are talking third world issues here afterall!

rime noreason likes this.
  3. PMG

PMG One of Us
    Ski Pass: Gold

We'll be in Slovenia in February. Triglav National Park looks spectacular as does Logarska dolina.
    As for skiing, maybe a quick diversion up to the Kitzsteinhorn in Austria? ;)

#3 PMG, Apr 11, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  4. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker
    Ski Pass: Gold

5. Rick Ross Da Boss

Rick Ross Da Boss One of Us

Plitvice lakes national park in Croatia is a must in summer imo, and Postonja caves in Slovenia.
    Motovun, Pula, Zadar and Mt Sljeme in Zagreb are all well worth a visit :thumbs:

6. rime noreason

rime noreason One of Us

Much of the above is tongue in cheek. Even without skiing, I'm anticipating this trip with as much crazy excitement as an adult can have without being carted away and certified insane :woohoo:

I haven't been to Europe for years (never to these particular regions) and will enjoy the surroundings, people and culture immensely. Nor have I been on a long trip with SM for years (we may regret being together 24/7 for over a month by the end of it thoughLOL )

We've been to Austria a couple of times previously @PMG so this time SM suggested we go places we've not seen. Still, I won't rule it out.
    We'll be driving through Triglav in a few short weeks. Logarska dolina looks stunning too. I don't think you can go wrong anywhere from what I've seen of Slovenia. It seems to have a little of everything.

Except for June skiing. You should have no problem in February though. Wanta swap? :D

Jacko4650 likes this.
  7. rime noreason

rime noreason One of Us

LOLJust as I was about to say that if we stop in Austria, I'll probably need hiking boots rather than skis, @Untele-whippet comes up with the ideal solution!

I love it. I can see SM on those now (who surely can't whinge when the freezing-factor of skiing has been removed)!

[​IMG]

Thank you @Rick Ross Da Boss The Istrian Peninsula was on my travel list but we'd need to spend a week minimum to do it justice. which we don't have this trip. I blame SM's fly fishing:rolleyes:
    Next trip will encompass Istria, Northern Italy, and Montenegro. Maybe skiing. What a shame fishing and ski seasons don't coincide.

I’ve added Mt Sljeme and Medvednica to Zagreb now though, thanks.

Plitvice is on our itinerary. I'd love to see it in autumn colours and winter with snow too

Our 5 week itinerary goes about like this

CZECH
    Prague, castles and old stuff

CROATIA
    Zagreb
    Get rental car and road trip

SLOVENIA
    Ljubljana, castles and old stuff
    Škofja Loka, Bohinj, Radovljica (although I like PMG's idea of Logar Valley, so perhaps even a day trip from Bled)
    Lake Bled
    Vintgar Gorge
    Vršič Pass through Triglav-Julian Alps
    Bovec, Soča River fly fishing, Ohh hooray
    Thermal springs, day spas maybe
    (I'd have liked to find a natural thermal spring river to frolic in, but apparently there aren't any, they're all resort style pools and complexes)
    Most na Soči, stone bridges & waterfalls
    Soča River so we can domore fly fishing
    Mt Kolovrat,
    Goriska Brda Šmartno wineries
    Please Sir I want some more, so Vipava Valley wineries too
    Skocjan & Postojna Cave
    Piran-Portoroz, via Socerb Castle & Trieste Gulf (this is the closest we get to Istria region, but it's high on the travel list)

CROATIA
    Plitvice
    Krka
    Sibenik
    Split: Old Town, Marjan Hill
    Hvar & Islands, Trogir Island
    Coast drive via Trsteno to Dubrovnik

Dubrovnik Old Town, Wall, Mt Srđ
    Korcula Island & Ston
    Mljet Island, Elaphiti Islands, Lokrum Island
    Mostar
    Zadar to Zagreb, fly home

Untele-whippet likes this.
  8. Rick Ross Da Boss

Rick Ross Da Boss One of Us

Solid trip :cool: you’ll have blast! All those areas bring back memories from a couple of years ago:love:
    Enjoy!!