Cross-country skiing is experiencing a renaissance at Falls Creek

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by Skipress, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Skipress

Skipress Hard Yards
    Ski Pass: Gold

At the Falls Creek ski resort in the Victorian High Country, a little-known ski club is doing amazing things for women who participate in cross-country skiing.
    The Birkebeiner Nordic Ski Club, founded in 1977, when a small group of enthusiastic skiers met and created start a club that would foster the development of cross-country skiing

Fast forward to the winter of 1993 when two top-ranked female Swedish athletes and their coach visited Falls Creek Alpine Resort to conduct clinics, exposing Australian women and girls to elite cross-country skiing. The other positive aspect of this encounter with world-class ski racers led to greater race participation amongst female skiers.

It was also the catalyst for Falls Creek’s annual Ski de Femme, a community cross-country ski event for women.
    The first event, organised in1994 by two local passionate skiers and Birkebeiner members Helen L’Huillier and Jenny van der Ploeg, to encourage more women to get involved in a sport they loved. Since its early beginning Falls Creek’s annual Ski de Femme has evolved into a very popular day that will be held this winter (at the Nordic Bowl) on Saturday, August 11. It is an open event for women from beginner to intermediate skiers of all ages.
    Free clinics, run by some of Australia’s best female skiers, such as National Team members Katerina Paul and Casey Wright, will be supported by two very talented French skiers Aurelie Dabudyk and Iris Pessey, who was brought out from France to join the Falls Creek Cross Country Centre.
    The ski racing options are 1km, 2.5km or 5km. There is no cost to enter and there will be spot prizes awarded to some lucky Ski de Femme participants.

Tony Pammer, Manager at Falls Creek Cross Country, has noted a “four-fold increase” in lessons this season compared to the same time two years ago.
    “More cross-country instructors have been hired to keep up with the demand, including three female instructors from Europe."

Ronice Goebels, Secretary of the Birkebeiner Ski Club and Manager of the Victorian Cross-Country Ski Team, says today about two-thirds of the Victorian team comprises young female athletes, and agrees that there are more women out skiing now than ever before.

Cross-country skiing is experiencing a renaissance at Falls Creek with a marked increase in lessons and gear hires over the past two years, with female participation in the sport most notably on the rise.

This year the Birkebeiner Club is hosting American Cambria McDermott, the first female ski coach to conduct lessons and clinics with its members.The sport isn’t all about competition and racing. In fact, the opposite is probably truer

“It’s not about winning so much. It’s not even about racing. It’s about enjoying the sport, making connections and friendships with people from all over the world.” Say Goebels.

For more information contact the Birkebeiner Nordic Ski Club 03 5754 4910 www.birkebeiner.org.au

2. teckel

teckel Old n' Crusty

So they've kidnapped LM's top female skiers?

3. Hully

Hully One of Us

The resurgence is driven by this

4. neilmny

neilmny Addicted

Skootch leg o_O

5. Chaeron

Chaeron One of Us

So much awesome terrain accessible immediately out of the resort: Rocky Knolls Saturday morning - 40 minutes skiing from the bottom of Lakeside.

The RMB/ ParksVic/ the water authority could do a SMALL thing to make this terrain more easily accessible - put in a little way-bridge/ 4 metre steel walkway across the stream immediately across from the Lakeside Poma so one doesn’t have to track across to Ruined Castle or via the Nordic bowl to access the Rocky Knobs - create a THIRD point of entry to the side country along the lake and towards the Bogong High Plains for Nordic/ XC/ tourers....

So easy and cheap to do, such massive gains for all.... go on guys, you know you want to!

@Xplora and @currawong @Hully @Ziggy, @BilbyBill, @Mister Tee on XC Skis - I’m sure diverse stake-holders would see the value in this.

Lovely to see the ducks AND the fish happy in that stream on Saturday morning - happily enjoying the mint winter morning conditions.... a good indication of the ecological health of Falls Creek resort (although the fox and deer prints in the side country also tell their story) - no immediate sign of horses on the BHP though...

Ziggy, teckel, Poppies and 2 others like this.
  6. skifree

skifree Part of the Furniture
    Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Too sensible, will only happen in our lifetime by a gorilla action.

Chaeron likes this.
  7. Chaeron

Chaeron One of Us

I know a yeti - will try & talk him into it :)

skifree likes this.
  8. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty

Not sure where you mean. If it's the actual rocky valley lake, that's still very wide at that point. Can't understand why bridging any stream would help (and can't think of one).
    Sorry if I'm missing the obvious

9. Chaeron

Chaeron One of Us

About 200m from the lake mouth one is halfway between the Lakeside Poma and Scotty’s (thx @currawong for the correction) If one can cross the stream there which is about 3-4 m wide at about that point for much of the season, one saves a to and fro of about 950 metres all told.

For most of the season there are two streams cutting through the snow at the bottom of Sun Valley - one from the Ruined Castle direction, the other from the Rocky Knolls direction, in line with the poles following the cat track (dotted brown line) which goes to the snowmaking pumphouse on the far side of the dam. They join up about 350 m from where the lake clearly comes to a point.

Currently the only option to get across these without wading is to follow the pole line from Ruined Castle and cross where the snowmobiles usually cross the streams - where the stream and the dotted lines intersect - where the dotted lines make a U-bend. There is a pipe-based bridge at that point.

However, if one could cross easily at the point opposite the Lakeside Poma it would be so much more convenient to head out to the BHP from the resort side of the lake - and rather than crossing the damwall and going past Langfords to get to the Cope area, one can access that terrain far more directly....

#9 Chaeron, Jul 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  10. currawong

Sorry still a bit confused
    Lakeside poma is near the "ll"s in Valley. Your red dot is near the base of Scott chair. Names aside, I assume the orange line near the red dot is where you want a bridge. I'm surprise that it would save that much distance, but I'll take your word for it

Chaeron likes this.
  11. Chaeron

Chaeron One of Us

You’re right - the spot is between Scotty’s and Lakeside poma base -it just felt closer to Lakeside poma as I had traversed across from Lakeside to there.

Using the Avenza map App I’ve measured the direct route assuming a crossing point and the indirect route and the difference is about 950 metres or so, no biggie I suppose

... felt longer after 15km with 18kg on my back- but I know who to blame for that kind of stupidity.... option A - slow overnight 2 days, max 15km. Option B - quick daytrip, max 35km... difference - 12kg... stupid is as stupid does....

currawong likes this.
  12. Ziggy

Ziggy Renormed

I can see the advantage but also see few skiers venturing out into Rocky Knobs.
    Most that do are coming from the Rover Chalet.
    When I go to the Knobs it's either round the back from Pretty Valley or down the Knolls, across and up.
    But there might be some interest if the bridge was groomer capable.

Poppies and Chaeron like this.
  13. Chaeron

Chaeron One of Us

Imagine an additional damside XC loop between the Rover Chalet and Sun Valley with a groomer capable bridge offering a short cut...

However, for serious skaters... an additional km is nothing I suppose, so no need for a shortcut, rather an extension of the damside track - not gonna happen...

Agree @Ziggy - For BC up and over the back of the Knobs is most fun - the glory of patterned bases and kicker skins - no need for routes, grooming.... back to the BC threads....

14. Ziggy

Ziggy Renormed

Yes, it's fine touring country out there. (There's an odd magnetic attraction to trails.)

BTW The trail on your map doesn't look all that accurate to me.

Chaeron likes this.
  15. Xplora

Xplora One of Us

There was a proposal (not too long ago) to construct a lakeside walk. I can't find it right now but I have the idea in my head it was about a walk around the entire storage. It may have been shelved. If you have a good idea and you can show the merit of it to the land manager (whomever that is) then you may get it accepted. A 5m bridge is a big ask though. The best way forward if Parks is the manager (it would be the over-riding on tenure) is to find an aspect of safety that should be addressed. Parks are also into bettering visitor services and a bridge could aid people in summer and winter. I have the right local contact for that if you want to go ahead. You could arrange a sit down meeting to discuss it then put it together. Funding is always a problem but I have managed to secure funding for a project in the park from a submission put together last December. Work has already started and will continue in spring. You don't get if you don't ask. Just never ask with high hopes.

skifree and Chaeron like this.
  16. bluestick

bluestick One of Us

Pity the hoppet track doesn’t go that way anymore. That was a fantastic loop and meant a lot less doubling up.

17. currawong

The round the lake walk got a very brief mention by FCRM CEO at the June stakeholder meeting in a longish list of strategic priorities. So not dead yet.

I thought that Parks had been reluctant in the past. grooming the lake loop for the hoppet was only ever allowed for a few weeks because of a sensitive area somewhere. there was a marked summer trail along part of the lake edge but it was barely a footpad and I thought Parks had no interest in maintaining it. things may have changed

Chaeron likes this.
  18. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum

Shared bike track and footpath around the lake. Start an annual iconic bike race for multiple laps along it.

Chaeron likes this.
  19. Ubiquitous Steve

Your suggestion has merit......Bears can well understand your reasoning.

A route skirting the Rocky Valley Dam And gently clambering to a high point before Cope Hut without the need to go right up onto Rocky Knobs....

The conditions are also more favourable than going over Ruined Castle most of the time..or coming over Rocky Nobs from one valley system into the other using lowest Saddle to connect them out to Pretty Valley Upstream Barrier roughly......

One cannot ski properly over Rocky Knobs because they are just that....knobs of rock and bush you need to skirt around.

The well used route to the south of Rocky Nobs from Cope Hut to Pretty Valley Hut is a good one ....skirting tree margin in an almost straight line crossing numerous gullies on the lower section on this route(not so good in white out ....just in the ups and downs though!)
    A small bridge could not be a major cost nor could it conceivably cause environmental damage....sounds like a practical idea.

Chaeron likes this.
  20. Ziggy

Ziggy Renormed

IIRC there has to be a metre of cover or somesuch before grooming can take place, to protect the heath and the soil, and of course low down has less cover.

Chaeron and Ubiquitous Steve like this.
  21. Ubiquitous Steve

Are they still grooming up to just above Cope Hut in a little circle at the end ?I think they used to groom up the road sometimes but not sure exactly what route it followed?

Poppies and Chaeron like this.
  22. Xplora

Xplora One of Us

Concrete the park and then the deer and horses will bugger off.

23. Chaeron

Chaeron One of Us

LOL

24. skifree

skifree Part of the Furniture
    Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

actually it would make more sense to clear fell it, plow it and seed with grass, for a golf course of course.

You'd get what 18 sets of 18 holes about Falls?

Chaeron likes this.
  25. Chaeron

Chaeron One of Us

Agree - Maps... over-rated. I’m always amazed how knowing the territory a bit from prior excursions frees one up to explore alternate options.

And, especially with BC - setting a GPS/ compass bearing and just cutting a route straight across - great fun unless one’s forgotten an aquaduct or any insurmountable obstacle...

26. Chaeron

Chaeron One of Us

Doesn’t Falls need something like a Red Bull powerboating event in summer to get the petrolhead crowd up there, something like a Summernats, but for jetskis? :evil:

And ute drag racing along with quad bike time trials along the Mackay/ Pretty Valley Road...

27. Ubiquitous Steve

Oh give the poor Parks Staff a rest....they are already reeling from the absurdity of implementing the FHIconic thingee gigee!

They need to rest up down in Mt Beauty with their feet up....saving energy for the politics yet to unfold on their bit of dirt!

28. Ubiquitous Steve

Oh give the poor Parks Staff a rest....they are already reeling from the absurdity of implementing the FHIconic thingee gigee!

They need to rest up down in Mt Beauty with their feet up....saving energy for the politics yet to unfold on their bit of dirt!
    ski free haven’t you noticed by now that not much of the scarce timber resource is to be found in the ANP..

29. Ubiquitous Steve

ski free haven’t you noticed by now that not much of the scarce timber resource is to be found in the ANP..
    perhaps authorities could just concentrate on getting the roadway upto some basic standard without throwing the concrete aimless around as we have seen in some places!

30. Ubiquitous Steve

perhaps authorities could just concentrate on getting the roadway upto some basic standard without throwing the concrete aimless around as we have seen in some places!