1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Cruiser area - a bit hard for beginners?

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by slidylegs, Jul 25, 2019.

1. slidylegs

slidylegs First Runs

I'm a beginner and have skied only a couple of times before. I went up the Merritts chairlift this time and found it to be a bit hard for beginners. Can someone tell me how the green runs in the Cruiser area - Walkabout and Squatters Run compare to the green or blue runs in other resorts overseas?

2. crackson

crackson A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Same.

Another day or two and you will love it. The first week is incredibly hard, then it rapidly gets easier.

Confidence is the key.

3. ShavedBadger

ShavedBadger One of Us

This.

Also, try going back and forth across the slope, don't worry too much about going straight down the hill and it will be far less daunting.

4. chrisj

chrisj One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Have you tried Giddy Up? You access it from the top of Friday Flat, on the magic carpet through the transparent tunnel. It's kinda between Friday Flat and the green Cruiser runs for difficulty.

5. slidylegs

slidylegs First Runs

Yes, did many laps through the Giddy Up and Friday Flats. Was able to do nice parallel turns at the end of my Day 3. So, went up to Merritts on Day 4 and freaked out a bit. You start leaning backwards when you are scared and that makes you fall over. I was able to ski down but was snowploughing most of the time.

crackson likes this.
  6. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Stop horsing around @chrisj

skull likes this.
  7. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I think the amount of people going fast at Merritts is also a contributing factor to nerves...

Sage Oya, LMB, db2567 and 3 others like this.
  8. chrisj

chrisj One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

You've hit on the most basic principle of skiing, even at more advanced levels. The steeper the slope, the more you have to "plunge into the abyss". Try putting your arms out in front of you. That will help you keep your weight forward.

slidylegs and Laska Goralska like this.
  9. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Before Friday Flat was developed that was pretty much Thredbo’s beginner area. I don’t think it’s any more or less steep than many other beginner areas I’ve encountered. You’d want to stick to playground initially though, not Ballroom.

As others say just take your time. If you feel pressured by being in a big group of skiers, just pull to the side and when there’s space again, head off. Staying calm and applying the technique you’ve learned are the keys. After you’ve navigated Playground a few times your confidence will improve immeasurably.

Edit to add: maybe walkabout is playground?

currawong likes this.
  10. J_busworth

J_busworth One of Us

The biggest issues up in the Merrits area is the crowds of people and those going way to fast for their ability level. Walkabout and Playground run are usually easier than Ballroom and Squatters run but it really depends on the crowds most of the time. I don't think the runs are any harder than Front Valley at Perisher, 100% easier than many of the blues overseas at big resorts like Whistler, Aspen or Hakuba.

Annabuzzy and Donzah like this.
  11. kaegee

kaegee One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I think Squatters is too narrow for greens ( old duplex corridor. Have often found the biggest problem, mentally, for beginners at Walkaabout , is seeing the village far far below. Pitch is easy ish .

12. kylep

kylep Cage rattler Ski Pass: Gold

Based on my experience being a newb again back in Jan I’d say the width of the runs, especially with trees and banks lining the edges also plays a factor in confidence for learners. It didn’t bother me but I few times I felt a little short of space

13. LaNeige

LaNeige One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Yeah, Playground is the Blue next to the lift. It's quite turny and a bit narrow, sort of like a Skier X course.

From the OP description, probably not the run for them at this stage, maybe next week though.

14. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

They keep on changing the names on me!!!

In my defence I haven’t looked at a Thredbo trail map in at least a decade. No need - with thredbo’s zero investment in new lifts or runs there’s nothing new to see.

15. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Keep at it @slidylegs
    And maybe get a lesson up there.

Most definitely.
    I always try to give beginners a wide berth if I’m flying down there to get to the restaurant/loo. Not just for my own safety but also so I don’t freak them out. I remember that being terrifying for me at Merritt’s when I was learning.
    And this.
    Anyone can lose it, but consistently outskiing your ability seems to be a Merritts special.

She’s narrow alright - and avoided by beginners for this reason. Makes for a fantastic route down if you’ve got self confidence and are not happy about what’s going on around you on the wider runs.

kylep, Laska Goralska and kaegee like this.
  16. Laska Goralska

Laska Goralska One of Us

This is great advice, along with LMBs tip to get a lesson or two.

The leaning forward seems counterintuitive but it lets you drive the skis rather than the skis driving you.

Keep at it, you’ll find that the better you get the better it gets.

17. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

The only beginner green runs at Thredbo are Friday Flat, Merrits T bar and Basin T Bar.

Practise on these slopes until you can link turns top to bottom and run straight with parallel skis at a speed you are comfortable with and turn to stop.

Then move to Cruiser chair.

DPS Driver likes this.
  18. LMB

What the old Merritt’s T or the Easyrider T that’s there now?

19. dawooduck

Easy rider

20. Laska Goralska

Laska Goralska One of Us

Doesn’t easy rider purely provide access to the little terrain park near cruiser bottom station?

In all my years of skiing at Thredbo I’ve never actually used it so honest question!

LMB likes this.
  21. SkElvis17

SkElvis17 First Runs

Ye, but it can be beginners run when there is no park. When there is a park the line actually takes a while because of how slow-moving it is (as a beginner T bar)

22. LMB

I’ve ridden that tbar when it was a mega slushfest and was like riding through a banked boardercross course.
    Line went slow that day with all the people falling off!

23. slidylegs

slidylegs First Runs

Thanks, folks. My plan for next time -
    - Try to do on Merritts what I am able to do on Friday Flats - smooth parallel turns (even if that means I take a wide path traversing across the fall line). I think it is possible if I can be confident and not get scared.
    - Take lessons up at Merritts
    - Perfect technique on easier slopes
    @dawooduck Do you mean to say Basin Run is easier than Walkabout?

AJS likes this.
  24. dawooduck

As a ski slope I would say yes but .....

Walkabout is tree surrounded so the visuals whilst skiing tend to be more reassuring, it is also chair access.

Basin is easier terrain but the visuals are more wide open in regards to horizon views and this can have the affect of people worrying about getting "out of control", it is also T Bar access.

It is a big step up from Friday Flat to anywhere else marked as green runs on the hill.

Persevere witj being super confident on Friday Flat then head to Merrits. Grab a instructor to show you the easier side of Merrits.

slidylegs and crackson like this.
  25. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

Good plan.

Stick with it and you'll build the confidence you need. You'll wonder what you were worried about in a day or two.

slidylegs and crackson like this.