Trip Report Dandenong Ranges 04 & 05 Aug 2020

MHzMe

Addicted
Apr 24, 2001
Marouka Lodge
I see from this forum that it was 51 weeks and 3 days since the last trip report for this part of the world - time for an update.

A cool and damp evening resulted in a quick dump of 2-3 cm of dry but rapidly softening snow across the Dandenongs. We have a large garden, so we could enjoy it without breaking curfew.
Nighttime Snow Fun in Sassafras 01.jpeg

Time to quickly break out the skis and take advantage, it might be our only chance for the season! Night skiing here we come. Luckily it was a full moon, so with the assistance of a head torch and the house lights, it was on!

Nighttime Snow Fun in Sassafras 04.jpeg

Nighttime Snow Fun in Sassafras 16.jpeg

Nighttime Snow Fun in Sassafras 08.jpeg

Nighttime Snow Fun in Sassafras 12.jpeg

I found out last year there was quite a history of skiing on the Olinda Golf Course, so I could claim no first descent naming rights there. But I feel on safe ground here! (Video is of my second go, the first time I forgot to record.)

Not everyone agreed that the conditions were best suited to skiing though.

Nighttime Snow Fun in Sassafras 18.jpeg

skimax

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2000
Melbourne Australia
Awesome . i remember some helicopter footage of olinda golf course on the news in either 84 or 86 in a really cold outbreak showing some guys on tele skis on the slopes.

Reactions: Chaeron

iagreewithhim

Blessed are the bignoses
Ski Pass
Sep 3, 2001
A very long way from everybody
I see from this forum that it was 51 weeks and 3 days since the last trip report for this part of the world - time for an update.

A cool and damp evening resulted in a quick dump of 2-3 cm of dry but rapidly softening snow across the Dandenongs. We have a large garden, so we could enjoy it without breaking curfew.
Nighttime Snow Fun in Sassafras 01.jpeg

Time to quickly break out the skis and take advantage, it might be our only chance for the season! Night skiing here we come. Luckily it was a full moon, so with the assistance of a head torch and the house lights, it was on!

Nighttime Snow Fun in Sassafras 04.jpeg

Nighttime Snow Fun in Sassafras 16.jpeg

Nighttime Snow Fun in Sassafras 08.jpeg

Nighttime Snow Fun in Sassafras 12.jpeg

I found out last year there was quite a history of skiing on the Olinda Golf Course, so I could claim no first descent naming rights there. But I feel on safe ground here! (Video is of my second go, the first time I forgot to record.)

Not everyone agreed that the conditions were best suited to skiing though.

Nighttime Snow Fun in Sassafras 18.jpeg
Cheaper than taking your skis to the shop for a base grind!

Reactions: neilmny and Chaeron
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass