1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Data only SIMS

Discussion in 'Europe' started by LiveToSki, Apr 4, 2019.

1. LiveToSki

LiveToSki One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Hi @Ian D and @CarveMan and all others that know more than I do - I know I have read somewhere in your recent trip reports or something, but I cannot use the search function to get the info I want easily, I thought I would ask directly...

What did you end up doing with SIM's etc. We dont the boys to use data roaming and just want a data only SIM. They will be travelling in Germany, Netherlands, Denmark areas.

Thanks.

2. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

I've bought SIMs in Italy and France over the last few years, it's a good idea and works well, only issues I've had is navigating the recharge functionality in a foreign language if you run out of data and need to do it over the phone. Not too bad for me in French but harder in Italian.

The offers obviously vary from country to country but you will need to buy one in your first country you land in, but it will work all through Europe (except Switzerland) thanks to the new roaming law.

LiveToSki likes this.
  3. Hyst

Hyst Enjoyer Ski Pass: Gold

4. Hyst

Hyst Enjoyer Ski Pass: Gold

5. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us

We got the Vodaphone one from the airport in Italy and it worked a treat.
    It was cheap I thought. 20gb for 25 Euro.

6. Arsas

Arsas One of Us

I have travelled in Europe and the UK multiple times and I normally buy my sim cards when I arrive and then have issues with changing settings when going from UK to Europe or needing to call someone to make a switch etc. and then end up buying another sim in that country. The last trip I did (Christmas 2018) I bought a sim from Simcorner. By far the easiest and best sim I have bought. Best thing is you buy it in Oz, you know what your number is going to be so you can let people know and you have it ready to use once you land. I used it in France, UK and Italy and had no issues.
    They do Call/Text/Data Sims as well as Data only sims. Probably one of the best value sims I have found.
    https://www.simcorner.com/shop/europe.html
    I bought the 12gb sim with 3000 min talk , 3000 text and 12gb data for $40. I was away for a month so 30 days service is perfect.

Richard and CarveMan like this.
  7. piolet

piolet Better make it three Ski Pass: Gold

If you're interested in high use, knowroaming packages are ok, I used the 3 day package, unlimited data in France in January - it's global. $10 USD.
    Not sure where that fits in but I use them already for their unlimited WhatsApp data deal. I find them a little meh but that data package worked a treat.

They do Sims and Sim stickers for those stuck with one Sim port.

8. CarveMan

I was musing while I was overseas, imagine being rich enough to just data roam.

I reckon there are people with superyachts and private jets who would baulk at that cost.

9. piolet

piolet Better make it three Ski Pass: Gold

FiL used to roam straight up while on business in China. Epic bills

CarveMan likes this.
  10. willsnow

willsnow Addicted Ski Pass: Silver

It's probably best to do it in the airport (if you spot the shop) where staff are used to handling tourists with these kind of requests. The downside is that you *might* pay a slight premium to it as compared to the prices in the city.

Stating the obvious, but passport is usually mandatory when buying pre-paid SIM Cards

11. LiveToSki

LiveToSki One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

But half the people going with #1 son will be roaming - you know the type...

12. CarveMan

13. Ozgirl

Ozgirl A Local Ski Pass: Gold

piolet likes this.
  14. TOFF

TOFF Im kind of a big deal Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah, bloody Buller skier types

:p

15. smackies

smackies A Local

Hmm. This looks good. It's really only to peeve people off with pictures of beer and alps.

cold wombat and piolet like this.
  16. Shoey

Shoey Hard Yards

My suggestion is giffgaff.com (UK). They now post the unloaded SIM directly to Australia and once you topup prepaid you can buy a 30 day "goody bag" . Effectively £20 / $37AUD its 20GB (20gb for EU roaming, otherwise 40GB UK) & unlimited talk txt. I used to live in London and have used them.

But yes be aware Switzerland or Norway etc is not included. And from my own experience, in EU data speeds might drop to 3G instead of 4G on a UK sim and who knows what happens after Oct 31 :)

I think the benefit vs buying on arrival is that the topup process is all online and in English. In the UK, sims can be anonymous so if you use a prepaid card there is no worries about unexpected charges and handing over personal data like passport info etc.

17. Richard

Richard Maintenance Dept Administrator

^ this

Vodaphone does a tourist Sim and it works throughout most of the EU. I used in Greece last year. It's not the very cheapest but it is good value and coverage is good.

You'll likely have to show passport at an airport kiosk and queues can be long (and mums just want to get to the hotel) - otherwise vodaphone outlets tend to be pretty common in city centre.

Otherwise there's some good options above to purchase online and be ready for arrival.

18. CarveMan

lol were you spying on us in Milan?