1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Day visit drive in a minibus

Discussion in 'Mt Buller' started by Shinboner, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Shinboner

Shinboner First Runs

We have a group of 16 travelling via a 22 seater minibus on July 27 for a day trip. We are comming from WA.
    None of us has ever driven in mountain country.
    Should we park at Mansfield and catch another bus from there or should we drive to the carpark (Horsehill I think?) and shuttle from there. This is where we are picking up our gear. What are our requirements if we drive to Horsehill in a minibus and how safe is it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

cheers
    Sambo

2. Hunter

Hunter Part of the Furniture Endless Winter Ski Pass: Gold

Re: Day vist drive in a minbus

The road is a safe and easy drive, you will need to carry chains and know how to put them on that is all, you can hire in Mansfield and they will show you how to fit them, more often than not you will not have to fit chains on Buller.

3. HiLo

HiLo Old n' Crusty

The driver of a 22 seater bus requires a Hazardous Area Authority endorsement to his/her licence to drive up the Buller Road in winter. This involves a four day training course, so it's unlikely your driver will have it. This applies at most other resorts as well. (Not Lake Mountain.)

Details here.

(Guess who's currently studying for his bus licence? [​IMG] )

#3 HiLo, Jul 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  4. Shinboner

Shinboner First Runs

Thanks for that, I did not relise that was the case.

Cheers
    Sambo

5. Shinboner

Shinboner First Runs

It seems as though we will have to park our minibus at Mansfield
    and travel up from there. We have booked our equipment hire pickup for 7.30am at Horsehill. We should probably change this to the Village, yes?. Also what are options from Mansfield for 15 people by bus, what are the costs return.
    Cheers
    Sambo

6. HiLo

HiLo Old n' Crusty

I think it's time for a contribution from someone who knows current Buller logistics better than me. [​IMG]

#6 HiLo, Jul 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  7. clanhoondog1

clanhoondog1 First Runs

If you call mansfield bus lines they will help you with timetables and costs up the mountain.

Or click here

http://www.buslines.com.au/mmbl/

#7 clanhoondog1, Jul 2, 2007
  8. tickers75

tickers75 First Runs

Shinboner if you are picking up your hire gear at Horsehill you can catch Horsehill lift straight up to the mountain and start enjoying the snow straight away but if any of the 22 in your party haven't skied/snowboarded before or have lessons booked in you should catch the free shuttle from Horsehill to the village and get a feel for the mountain.

9. Shinboner

Shinboner First Runs

Hi tickers75,
    I think we will need to get to the village as we have a number who have never seen snow before. They are a group of 15yr old basketballers and we are finishing our BBall tour of Vic with a day in the snow. We will have lots of fun but not much in the way of snowboard skills. We have a lesson booked for 9.00am and will arrive in Mansfield around 6.30am . We had booked our gear pickup for 7.30am at Horsehill but I may have to change this now and pickup at the village at a slightly later time. You guys don't have a bball team up there do you. We could fit in another game.

Cheers
    Shinboner

10. kyrano

kyrano First Runs

Cheapest option is to park at Mirimbah (toll gate...free of charge), then catch a prebooked MMBL bus from there to Cow Camp. Even if you had an alpine endorsement (I've got one), by the time you pay your 'per head' entry, and a taxi from the Skating Rink (if Horse Hill isn't running) it works out alot cheaper...I've done it the last two years I've taken school groups to Buller

A suggestion for the kids snowboarding...wrist guards for beginners / novices.

11. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

As HiLo has pointed out, without the endorsement and chains, which I doubt you will have either, you will need to switch buses at Mansfield or Mirimbah. I'd recommend hiring gear there too as it means only one stop.

MMBL is the bus line that runs up to Buller from Mansfield and your only option. Give them a call to make arrangements.

http://www.buslines.com.au/mmbl/

#11 CarveMan, Jul 2, 2007
  12. Shinboner

Shinboner First Runs

Thanks for all the info,
    I have just arrived back from training the boys, they are looking forward to the snow day more than anything else, this may not fair well for the BBall though. Anyway I will take your advice and we will take our minibus up from central Melbourne to either Mansfield or Mirimbah and bus it from there. I hope the weather gods are with us on the 27th.

Cheers
    Shinboner

13. skiflat

skiflat Old n' Crusty

Oh no, so now the rest of us have to be stuck behind a bus going way under the speed limit [​IMG]

#13 skiflat, Jul 3, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  14. snowflake girl

snowflake girl First Runs

You can always arrange for you ski/ board lessons for the group to be on Burnt Hut so that you can still hire at Horse Hill Hire and then head up the Horse Hill chair and meet your instructor.

15. HiLo

HiLo Old n' Crusty

[​IMG]

#15 HiLo, Jul 3, 2007
  16. cruisin along

cruisin along A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I already have a bus licence but did not know about the 4 day training course.

Details please HiLo if you can.

#16 cruisin along, Jul 3, 2007
  17. HiLo

HiLo Old n' Crusty

It's a Victorian thing CA. Details are in that pdf file I linked to above. I don't know what the law is in NSW. It could be quite a bit different because the roads to the NSW resorts aren't generally as challenging as those to the Vic resorts.

But I expect the law would also apply to drivers with non-Vic licences visiting Vic resorts.

18. wolly

wolly One of Us

the MMBL BUS FROM MIRIMBAH IS $37 RETURN FOR ADULTS
    $25 RETURN FOR KIDS UNDER 16
    PARK YOUR BUS THERE AND GET THE BUS.
    have you looked into the option of getting the bus all the way from melbourne? Save the hassle of driving and renting a mini bus

19. Shinboner

Shinboner First Runs

hi Wolly,
    we are travelling playing Bball for 9 days prior to the day at Buller so the minibus is essential and when we head back West we just leave the bus at the airport, this saves us some dollars as we do not have to pay shuttle costs to and from the airport for 15 people. The cost in petrol for the minibus to Mirimbah is alot cheaper than paying for 15 heads on a bus from Melbourne to Buller for the day, even when factoring in the cost from Mirimbah to Buller. Our only issue is linking it all together. Should be fun getting 10 15yr old boys up at 3.30am on the Friday morning, especially after they have only finished playing BBall at 9.30pm the night before.

Cheers
    Shinboner

20. Fangin'Wolvy

Fangin'Wolvy First Runs

buk buk!

21. kyrano

kyrano First Runs

Crusin along...the alpine hazardous endorsement that is required to drive any vehicle registered to carry more then 12 people, is a course conducted by DECA (Shepparton), with the course being based in Bright. For a 'light rigid' endorsement, up to 8 tonnes (about a 28 - 30 seater) the 3 and a half day course involves 4 people and alot of practial work driving up and down Mt Hotham and Mt Buffalo. It's a fairly costly course but well worth it. I did the course a two or three years ago though the school I work at and would thoroughly recommend it to anyone driving even a small mini bus with passengers, as I've seen a few real wheel drive vehicles (mini buses included) bounce off guard rails through driver error.

22. HiLo

HiLo Old n' Crusty

The VicRoads document linked to above says there are three other organisations that run such courses as well.

I'd hate to see anyone without such extra training tackling the Hotham or Baw Baw roads in a blizzard with a busload of school kids.

23. colino

colino First Runs

Regarding the original topic, I would dump the bus in Mansfield, get all of the gear hired there (and lift pass should also be possible), and bus stright up there. If the bus drops you off at Horse Hill car park, it is only a quick shuttle to the Village.

Enjoy - looks like you picked a good year for it!!

24. Shinboner

Shinboner First Runs

Hi Colino,
    We have already booked our lift tickets and hire under the schools program and I have changed our pickup of gear to the village. We may have been able to save some money doing it as we arrived, however this saves any hassle and we know all our costs up front. Our newbie lesson is at 9.00am and we arrive in the village around 8.00am. it will be great if the snow keeps falling for the next few weeks, the boys will have a ball.
    One question are sunnies fine for one day or subject to conditions may we need goggles.

Cheers
    Shinboner

25. DeesOnSkis

DeesOnSkis One of Us

Highly recommend goggles unless its a clear, sunny day.

26. Shinboner

Shinboner First Runs

Thanks all,
    This is a great informative site for those of us with little snow experience.
    I hope to run into a few of you up there (well not literally of course)

Cheers
    Shinboner