1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Perisher, It’s Christmas, Not Happy Holidays

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by scottski, Dec 24, 2019.

1. scottski

scottski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Why do you celebrate Christmas in July and then send out silly marketing emails celebrating Happy Holidays.

Guys and Girls, we are not America, we celebrate Christmas. Not Happy Holidays.
    If your policy is to celebrate Happy Holidays ( because it might offend someone ) then cancel Christmas in July due to gross hipocrisy.

Or we can just celebrate Christmas

Merry Christmas Perisher

2. Jellybeans

Jellybeans not woke enough Ski Pass: Gold

Because it's a US company. This is a non-issue.

nezumi, Telemark Phat and Edgecrusher like this.
  3. scottski

Calling out hipocrisy where it falls.
    The PC culture is exposed here blatantly as they roll out the silly “ happy holidays “ BS and then celebrate Christmas in July.

4. emkae

emkae One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Because they are a business?

Xmas in July isn’t a particularly religious celebration and “Happy Holidays” probably p155es off fewer people than don’t celebrate Xmas, so the upside is greater

nezumi likes this.
  5. skifree

skifree A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Happy Holidays, it’s non sectarian, I like it.

nezumi and Tanuki like this.
  6. cold wombat

cold wombat Twitter Contributer Moderator

Is somebody being a sensitive triggered snowflake?

Who cares. You celebrate whatever you want. While you certainly have the right to bitch & moan, you don't have the right to insist others celebrate in line with your values.

I will continue to celebrate a heathen Christmas in my own way, completely unconcerned about how an American company wants to celebrate.

nezumi, Edgecrusher, siballah and 3 others like this.
  7. ShavedBadger

ShavedBadger One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Isn’t this what facebook is for?

nezumi, Edgecrusher, Tanuki and 5 others like this.
  8. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

It does SEEM awfully hypocritical.
    But also...

Ozgirl likes this.
  9. scottski

If they cancel Christmas in July and call it Happy Holidays in July then no issue.

I can hear Elvis singing now “ I wish everyday was just like Happy Holidays.

or Biing singing “ I’m dreaming of a white Happy Holidays”

seriously the extent to which we bend over backwards to conform to PC Bullshit is disturbing.

don’t care if you celebrate Hanukkah or Eid, or Ramadan or any other significant festival, just call it like it is.

I prefer Happy Spendfest, just a bit more honest than a contrived attempt not offend

10. D-eye

D-eye Photographer and skier Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

December

Buddhism

Bodhi Day: 8 December – Day of Enlightenment, celebrating the day that the historical Buddha (Shakyamuni or Siddhartha Gautama) experienced enlightenment (also known as Bodhi).

Christianity

Advent: four Sundays preceding Christmas Day
    Saint Barbara's Day: 4 December – The Feast of St. Barbara is celebrated by Artillery regiments across the Commonwealth and some western Catholic countries.
    Krampusnacht: 5 December – The Feast of St. Nicholas is celebrated in parts of Europe on 6 December. In Alpine countries, Saint Nicholas has a devilish companion named Krampus who punishes the bad children the night before.
    Saint Nicholas' Day: 6 December
    Feast of the Immaculate Conception Day: 8 December – The day of Virgin Mary's Immaculate Conception is celebrated as a public holiday in many Catholic countries.
    Saint Lucia's Day: 13 December – Church Feast Day. Saint Lucia comes as a young woman with lights and sweets.
    Las Posadas: 16–24 December – procession to various family lodgings for celebration & prayer and to re-enact Mary & Joseph's journey to Bethlehem[3]
    Longest Night: A modern Christian service to help those coping with loss, usually held on the eve of the Winter solstice.
    Nikoljdan: 19. December - the most common slava, St. Nicholas's feast day.
    Christmas Eve: 24 December – In many countries e.g. the German speaking countries, but also in Poland, Hungary and the Nordic countries, gift giving is on 24 December.
    Christmas Day: 25 December and 7 January – celebrated by Christians and non-Christians alike.[4][5][6][7]
    Anastasia of Sirmium feast day: 25 December
    Twelve Days of Christmas: 25 December–6 January
    Saint Stephen's Day: 26 December – In Germany, Poland and the Czech Republic a holiday celebrated as Second Day of Christmas.
    Saint John the Evangelist's Day: 27 December
    Holy Innocents' Day: 28 December
    Saint Sylvester's Day: 31 December

Hinduism

Pancha Ganapati: a modern five-day Hindu festival celebrated from 21 through 25 December in honor of Ganesha.

Historical

Malkh: 25 December
    Mōdraniht: or Mothers' Night, the Saxon winter solstice festival.
    Saturnalia: 17–23 December – An ancient Roman winter solstice festival in honor of the deity Saturn, held on 17 December of the Julian calendar and expanded with festivities through to 23 December. Celebrated with sacrifice, a public banquet, followed by private gift-giving, continual partying, and a carnival.
    Dies Natalis Solis Invicti (Day of the birth of the Unconquered Sun): 25 December – late Roman Empire

Humanism

HumanLight: 23 December – Humanist holiday originated by the New Jersey Humanist Network in celebration of "a Humanist's vision of a good future."[8]

Judaism

Hanukkah: usually falls anywhere between late November and early January. See "movable"

Paganism

Yule: Pagan winter festival that was celebrated by the historical Germanic people from late December to early January.
    Yalda: 21 December – The turning point, Winter Solstice. As the longest night of the year and the beginning of the lengthening of days, Shabe Yaldā or Shabe Chelle is an Iranian festival celebrating the victory of light and goodness over darkness and evil. Shabe yalda means 'birthday eve.' According to Persian mythology, Mithra was born at dawn on 22 December to a virgin mother. He symbolizes light, truth, goodness, strength, and friendship. Herodotus reports that this was the most important holiday of the year for contemporary Persians. In modern times Persians celebrate Yalda by staying up late or all night, a practice known as Shab Chera meaning 'night gazing'. Fruits and nuts are eaten, especially pomegranates and watermelons, whose red color invokes the crimson hues of dawn and symbolize Mithra.
    Koliada: Slavic winter festival celebrated on late December with parades and singers who visit houses and receive gifts.

Secular

International Day of Disabled Persons: 3rd of December
    Boxing Day: 26 December.
    Human Rights Day: 10 December
    Dongzhi Festival – a celebration of Winter
    Hogmanay: night of 31 December–before dawn of 1 January – Scottish New Year's Eve celebration
    Newtonmas: 25 December – As an alternative to celebrating the religious holiday Christmas, some atheists and skeptics have chosen to celebrate 25 December as Newtonmas, due to it being Isaac Newton's birthday on the old style date.
    Kwanzaa: 26 December–1 January – Pan-African festival celebrated in the US
    New Year's Eve: 31 December – last day of the Gregorian year
    Soyal: 21 December – Zuni and Hopi
    Solstice: On or about 21 December.
    Zamenhof Day: 15 December – Birthday of Ludwig Zamenhof, inventor of Esperanto; holiday reunion for Esperantists
    Watch Night: 31 December
    Salgirah: 13 December - celebration of Shia Ismaili Muslims of their Imam (Aga Khan IV)

Unitarian Universalism

Chalica: first week of December – A holiday created in 2005, celebrated by some Unitarian Universalists.[9]

11. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

I refuse to accept your offer of good wishes because I disapprove of the way you expressed them.

It sounds a bit daft, but that's what you are saying.

nezumi and Tanuki like this.
  12. D-eye

D-eye Photographer and skier Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Christmas in July is just silly.

13. DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki One of them Ski Pass: Gold

Could always do what the Balinese do, observe everyone's religious holiday. They seem to have every 2nd day off !

14. scottski

Yea, I’m not having a holiday. I’m working through. However if I do have a holiday at this time of the year I won’t be taking holidays to ski at Perisher.

15. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

Happy Christmas Holidays .....

coolair, DidSurfNowSki and piolet like this.
  16. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

falls creek isn't quite as bad as HH, but Festive Greetings and Seasos Greetings. Don't mind festive greetings too much. Happy Holidays makes me want to ask if they want fries with it

coolair and Bogong like this.
  17. scottski

Fries ? French or Freedom ?

18. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

19. currawong

not so much imposing on them, more about them not alienating their customers over something that really doesn't matter to the company

20. cold wombat

Has never worked for me either, but if it works for others then so be it.

I guess that's the advantage of living in a free society. We don't have to conform to other people's idea about how we should live our own lives or how we should live our own culture which is what @scottski is wanting to impose on a foreign company.

21. cold wombat

I have no problem with what they've done. Presumably someone is going to get alienated no matter what so I guess it's up to them to make the call for themselves. I don't care either way.

22. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

Zeroz and scottski like this.
  23. scottski

In South America we eat Cavies. Tasty. However when in Australia we spend money on them at the vets.

there are culturally appropriate norms that we all follow. I was pointing out that in Australia we call this yearly event Christmas. American companies seem to be to lazy to observe the cultural norm and seek to impose their own culture on us. I’m calling it. Including the hipocrisy of holding Christmas in July.

Simple

Happy Spendfest everybody .

SnowRabbit likes this.
  24. piolet

piolet Better make it three Ski Pass: Gold

LISTEN HERE SNOWFLAKE

25. cold wombat

You're trying to insist others follow the local cultural norms. That is exactly what I am calling you out on. The point of a free society is that we are not obliged to conform. We are each free to change and do things our own way. If someone wants to celebrate "happy holidays", that's their business. They are free to, just like I am free to celebrate (or not) Christmas my own way and ignore the annoying "put Jesus back into Christmas" crowd. Simples.

nezumi, Chaeron, Majikthise and 2 others like this.
  26. scottski

Do I send them a diary link so they can better target my holidays and when I should be happy

27. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

A minority* of Aussies would associate 25th December with a religious festival. Therefore 'Happy Holidays' is quite appropriate. Or 'Seasons Greetings', which sounds less American.

*2016 census said 52.1% xian. But many of those would be nominal, and really couldn't give a proverbial about any religious ramifications. So I think to say a 'minority' is accurate.

nezumi likes this.
  28. cold wombat

Again, despite your jest, you're trying to change someone else's behaviour to conform to your cultural norms.

You do you and let them do them. Unless you don't like the idea of living in a free society...

piolet likes this.
  29. Alleve

Alleve One of Us

Does it really matter whether Perisher says Happy Holidays (or some variation of it) instead of Merry Christmas? Vail is a secular company trying to appeal to a wide range of people. It makes perfect sense for them to use a secular phrase. As for the hypocrisy of them holding Christmas in July, does it really matter? I'm sure to them it's not worth the effort of unifying their front on this issue. This is the first time I've ever heard of anyone actually getting somewhat invested in what a ski resort refers to Christmas as. Maybe I'm missing something but this seems like a relatively large fuss stirred up over something that has no effect on anything. Calling it Happy Holidays or Seasons Greetings instead of Merry Christmas changes nothing for nobody, apart from OP apparently

cold wombat likes this.
  30. scottski

Sorry Teckel, your facts are wrong or made up,
    The ABS Census for 2016 reports 52% nominated Christian. 30% identified as no religion or non religious. Islam 2.6% and Budist 2.4%
    I have included a link . https://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/mediareleasesbyReleaseDate/7E65A144540551D7CA258148000E2B85

S
    o the ABS reports the majority of people in Australia are Christian. The percentage that go to happy clappy churches on weekends in the Sutherland Shire was not identified.

I’m sure most people are nominal in their stated faith. That aside culturally we have always identified this time of year as Christmas. Not Happy Holidays.
    Have another crack at finding your statistics to back up your thesis

31. Legs Akimbo

Does "Happy Holidays" exclude anyone in any of those percentages. It doesn't exclude Christians. "Merry Christmas" excludes non-Christians (assuming they care).

Majikthise and Alleve like this.
  32. scottski

Alleve the point I’m making is about an imposition of a US cultural norm based on a premises of political correctness. It doesn’t apply to Australia or it hadn’t until a bunch of US corporations started to shove it down our throats with no respect for local custom
    And sensitivity. We have been moving to phrases such as seasons greetings for a long time.
    Let us in Australia choose how we collectively want to recognise what has been
    a religious festival rather than American corporates dictating what we should be saying.

SnowRabbit and cruisin along like this.
  33. scottski

No clearly not, however my points are well made.
    Sadly I’ve just discovered I’ve aligned myself with the Loony evangelical right wing of the Republican Party along with Donald Trump and most of Fox News ( Which I’ve never watched )

I’m less in the camp of the loony left fighting a war on Christmas. My argument is based on American Corporations shoving their cultural and political norms on us. I think we are no where near as far along their PC lines as they assume ( or simply don’t assume thereby showing no respect to our country and culture in anyway )

#33 scottski, Dec 24, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
    cruisin along and currawong like this.
  34. Donzah

Donzah Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Happy Holidays everyone.

nezumi, Chaeron, Edgecrusher and 6 others like this.
  35. currawong

christmas is of no religious significance to me, but it is full of nice traditions that I like (and others that I am very happy to ditch). my objections to Happy Holidays is the same as my objections to pavements, freight trains and ketchup - nothing to do with religions.

In fact the very use of "holidays" reminds me that to americans it only means special days, not having a break and possibly going away (vacations in americanese)

36. Budgiesmuggler

Budgiesmuggler A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I am so sick of the war on Christmas narrative.

You’re up there without Angus Taylor.

cold wombat likes this.
  37. Alleve

Alleve One of Us

I'm struggling to see how Vail is imposing anything on you, shoving anything down your throat or dictating anything about you. They are simply using a secular term instead of a religious term to appeal to broad majority of people.
    Evidently referring to Christmas as Christmas isn't part of the Australian culture, because I have never heard of an Australian caring about this sort of thing before now. In fact the only person I've ever heard of caring about this sort of thing is Alex Jones. Even if Christmas being called Christmas was part of the Australian culture, I don't see how Vail would be disrespecting it by saying Happy Holidays.
    By saying Happy Holidays, Vail isn't disrespecting Australian culture, shoving political correctness down anyone's throat, dictating how people should speak, etc. They are simply appealing to the majority of people. I doubt they really put any thought into it because it's such a small thing.

cold wombat likes this.
  38. Donzah

What's wrong with a freight train?
    What did it do to you?

cold wombat, Telemark Phat and Alleve like this.
  39. currawong

if you want to avoid offending other religions, seasons greetings is a well established term in oz.

there are so many forces pushing american kulcha on us that i think it is appropriate to call it out when it creeps forward another step.

40. currawong

goods train

SnowRabbit likes this.
  41. Donzah

Goods are the item.
    Freight is the method. Train, truck.
    As opposed to cargo. Aircraft, Ship.

42. Legs Akimbo

I would find this argument more convincing if it was made using words purely of Celtic origin. Eschew all later additions to the language we speak!!! Language should never change.

43. ralphplough

ralphplough One of Us

I’d like to know who we are trying not to offend?

I mean all of the non christians I know don’t give a shit if you call Christmas Christmas. Like all of the christians I know don’t care if you call Eid Eid.

If you are atheist I’m not sure why you would give a flying toss about any of the names.

Modifying greetings that have been used for centuries is simply unnecessary.

coolair, dawooduck and scottski like this.
  44. IAB

IAB A Local Ski Pass: Gold

45. Donzah

I happen to like holidays.

*i also think Happy holidays includes the New Year.... Hence. All encompassing

nezumi and skifree like this.
  46. ShavedBadger

ShavedBadger One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Morrisoned.

47. Jellybeans

Jellybeans not woke enough Ski Pass: Gold

It's used in America, because people tend to care more about religion and Christmas is intertwined with Christianity. So happy holidays is all encompassing.

Most people in Australia accept that Christmas is secular, so we use Merry Christmas.

Just two different ways of approaching religious holidays.

cold wombat and piolet like this.
  48. ralphplough

ralphplough One of Us

I’d love to know if anyone in the US is actually offended by the use of Merry Christmas. I think it’s manufactured.

49. Legs Akimbo

It's almost universal in New York City because of the substantial proportion of Jewish people who live there. You see things like a menorah set up in Central Park.

Chaeron likes this.
  50. Alleve

Alleve One of Us

Nobody is offended by Merry Christmas, and pretty much nobody is offended by Seasons Greetings or Happy Holidays. Its a non-issue