1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Trip Report Dec. 9th 2020.Day hike. Snowy Hill/ Lake Mtn./Keppel's Hut/ Upper Taggerty Rd. loop

Discussion in 'Backcountry Trip Reports' started by Mister Tee on XC Skis, Dec 9, 2020.

1. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Gold Ski Pass: Silver

Your correspondent in the field went and did the full loop on foot today from Snowy Hill car park via Lake Mtn. resort out to Keppel's hut and back along the Upper Taggerty road.
    The Keppel's hut foot track needs to be slashed back in Autumn after the growing season concludes. Blackberries and that heathy stuff are coming back with force. Some medium and large poles are blocking the foot route lower down out of the snow gum zone. Water is flowing well everywhere up there.
    The Keppel's hut 4 x4 track is being worked on by a large bulldozer. The work has not been completed but one or two sections that have been tricky bits for the RAV4 Tee mobile in the past have been worked on. It needs a huge dump of large gravel on top of the grading & excavation.
    DEWLP have gone through with a huge machine that cuts and removes giant fallen trees like cutting through butter on a hot day the whole way along that jeep track.
    Not just that what they have done to the Upper Taggerty road is amazing. It is a super highway, the stuff of dreams for Team bears !.
    The whole carriageway from end to end has been mechanically cleared.
    DEWLP have excelled themselves and the same mechanical tree chopper, lopper and remover has gone above and beyond the call of duty. AMAZING WORK. Giant widow makers, chopped and cast aside down the embankments like match sticks!
    I started walking at 11.30 am and got back to the car at 1800. It is a
    fair distance( 17 kms ? ) so I was moving at a good speed and really only stopped for lunch at the hut .
    I met two walkers on the Keppel's hut foot track and one mtn. biker on the Keppel's hut jeep track.
    Water is flowing really well at many places all over the area. So as a result of not being faced with a big fire , some tracks are now being attended to. A fire fighting chopper was coming and going at Lake Mtn. car park. I think they were making preparations for any future fires. I could not see any smoke and the sunny mild weather was perfect for bushwalking.
    Parks Vic. have gone along the shoulders of the LM ski trails and chopped very many iffy looking dead trees. It looks like they want to avoid being sued for allowing a big dead snow gum to fall on a XC skier or bushwalker.
    Until Lady Talbot road is opened at any end there is little chance of doing some necessary work on the Keppel's hut foot track. You could trek in from LM car park with a small chainsaw in a big back pack plus add bar oil , 2 stroke fuel and some food and water for the day and you might make it there, cut the poles and return by dusk on a summer's day.
    You would have to be up at LM by 8 am for such a mission.
    It looks like DEWLP have put new orange triangle markers along that foot track too.
    Anyway that was a useful excursion and good exercise in fresh air and sunshine.
    The Black Spur rd. is closed between 2100 and 0500 for night road works until Dec. 17th . Vic Roads are resurfacing the road.
    I thought it said 9-5 as in daytime and almost turned around at Healesville but I asked a woman in a shop there and she said she thought it was closed at night so I went on ahead and got my day out after all.
    :)
    LM has a visitor centre in Marysville now. They are really flogging the Mtn. bike caper in green season now.

#1 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Dec 9, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
  2. Mister Tee on XC Skis

The walk from Snowy Hill car park can involve a stroll along a Mtn. bike track until you pop out at the LM village.
    Then I went up Royston rd.
    onto Panorama track and along the Hut loop to Keppel's hut track.

whether likes this.
  3. Mister Tee on XC Skis

The Team Leader @Ubiquitous Steve asked me to take many photos of any offending fallen logs and overgrown scrub on this part of the hike that connects the LM ski trails with Keppel's hut.

4. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Eventually I arrived at the hut for a well needed lunch break . Then I headed down the Keppel's hut 4 WD track to start my 9 km walk along the Upper Taggerty Rd. ( super highway) back to my car .

5. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Upper Taggerty road scenery.

6. Mister Tee on XC Skis

9th.Dec..2020

#6 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Dec 10, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
    GS likes this.