1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW WEATHERZONE FOLK

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Decathlon taking on Aldi snow sale

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by The Snow Gauge, May 13, 2019.

1. The Snow Gauge

The Snow Gauge Hard Yards

Thought those interested in Aldi product might be interested to know that Decathlon have a 150+ item launch to go head-to-head with them. Sale starts on Thursday in store and online.

There's even a little hardware (2x boots and 2x skis) and if things go well they'll look at bringing over more of their Euro range in years to come (it is quite extensive). It is basically aimed at the Aldi market and a little higher but with the good prices you also get some customer service, ability to buy online and the ability to avoid the Aldi one-day crush.

Summed up pretty well here: https://www.snowsbest.com/decathlon-launch-ski-sale/

Disclosure: I am doing some work for them.

2. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I'd position their gear more in line with Rebel. Its basically a french version of.
    Eg their base jacket at $89 is inferior to the Aldi base jacket.
    Same with pants and so on.
    Basics are good (thermals socks etc)
    Gloves are a bit over priced.

I like their store. Been there about 30 times.

3. sara777

sara777 A Local Ski Pass: Gold

The website is not working atm when trying to get to snow sports. Upgrades to the website mentioned. I like the fitness gear though!
    Need new thermals/socks & trying to avoid physical Aldi store visit on Saturday!

4. Donzah

Their store in Tempe is pretty good. I've bought a bit of stuff there.
    Its worth a visit.
    As you say... stuff like fitness , hiking , cycling etc is mint.

sara777 likes this.
  5. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I went in the Decathlon store in Box Hill recently with the kids. Was hard to get them out. Did badminton, basketball, archery, table tennis, scooters and a couple of other things. Didn't buy anything this time though!

Goski and skiflat like this.
  6. The Snow Gauge

The Snow Gauge Hard Yards

Different to Rebel in that it is largely their own brands ie Wed'ze and Quechua. Also a bit sharper priced and stacks more winter stock. Would love to see the full Euro range out here, they have a decent range of skis, boards and boots.

7. benchives

benchives Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I can’t get a frozen chicken though

8. Zeroz

Zeroz A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Tough times for Aus ski shops that rely on clothing sales as Aldi and Decathlon battle. Good for consumers though.

====================================================================
    https://www.afr.com/business/retail...goods-with-cut-price-ski-gear-20190509-p51lqi

How Decathlon plans to disrupt sporting goods

[​IMG]
    Sue Mitchell Senior Reporter
    May 13, 2019

Global sporting goods retailer Decathlon is set to take a bigger share of the $6.8 billion Australian sports equipment and apparel markets by expanding its range, opening new stores and relaunching its e-commerce site.

As the French-based retailer launched on Monday with a cut-price ski-wear range that threatens to take sales from Super Retail Group's Rebel chain, Kathmandu, Anaconda and Aldi, chief executive Olivier Robinet said his long-term dream was to have a Decathlon store within 30 minutes of about 80 per cent of the Australian population.

Decathlon opened its first Australian bricks-and-mortar store in Dec 2017, 16 months after setting up a dedicated Australian online store.

The stores are about 3800 square metres – two to three times the size of most Rebel stores – and carry more than 7000 products across more than 70 sporting goods and outdoor categories.

It now has four mega-stores – two each in Sydney and Melbourne – and plans to open a fifth, at Moorabbin before the end of the year.

Decathlon relaunched its e-commerce platform this week and expects online sales, which represent about 7 per cent of total sales, to accelerate as customers take advantage of two-hour click-and-collect and free delivery for orders over $80.

Customers key
    Mr Robinet said the ultimate number of stores would depend on Decathlon and its willingness to invest more capital in Australia. Decathlon, which has 1500 stores in 49 countries and annual revenues of about €11 billion ($17.7 billion), is controlled by the founding Leclercq family.

"We're a family-owned company so what I say doesn't matter," Mr Robinet told The Australian Financial Review.

However, he said Decathlon's performance since the launch 14 months ago had been "better than expected" and customer satisfaction – one of Mr Robinet's key performance metrics – was high.

The company's original store in Tempe in Sydney's inner south has 140,000 members, many of whom are highly engaged, constantly reviewing products and offering recommendations.

Price is right
    Mr Robinet said Decathlon's decision to launch a year-round snow gear range, with about 150 products ranging from helmets and masks to boots and beanies, stemmed partly from member feedback.

Australian consumers were sick of paying steep premiums for ski gear that was usually available for a limited period.

To illustrate his point, Mr Robinet outlaid $360 for a Helly Hansen mens ski jacket from Anaconda over the weekend. For the same price ($365) he could have bought an entire outfit, including jacket, pants, helmet, gloves, socks, beanie from Decathlon's Wed'ze private brand.

[​IMG]

Chief executive Olivier Robinet says Decathlon's performance since the launch 14 months ago has been "better than expected". James Brickwood

Decathlon's products, all of which are designed in house, are 50 - 70% cheaper than branded products, according to a Citigroup survey.

Decathlon has augmented its private label ski and snow range with branded skis and binding packages from brands such as Rossignol ($449) and Atomic ($399) to test demand.

Mr Robinet, who learnt to ski at the age of 4, said Decathlon had initially underestimated the level of interest in skiing in Australia and he was stunned to learn that many Australians bought heavily discounted ski gear from discount supermarket chain Aldi.

Aldi launches its annual ski sale on May 18 and Kathmandu launched its new snow collection earlier this month.

"Our idea is to disrupt the disruptor, " he said. "Our prices are better than anyone's ... we just want to make sports more accessible to Australians."

Chaeron likes this.
  9. BoofHead

BoofHead One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Or a plasma cutter

piolet likes this.
  10. Donzah

5000mm jackets at $89 ain't that sharply priced.
    Those jackets look like rain coats.
    Their $35 gloves are comparable to something you'd see in a bargain bin outside a mixed business in Jindabyne.
    Most of the snow product lines at Rebel are vertical or private label.
    Even though they have better known brands. Those brands are approached to develop and sell their own lines. At some low wholesale prices. So its not common to see stock you see in Rebel in other stores.

* i sold to Rebel off and on for 15 years.

11. Donzah

Eg a $35 glove at decathlon.
    [​IMG]

12. Donzah

This jacket is $189.
    Offers a 8k/8k fabric and membrane.
    Thats not great value.
    [​IMG]

13. Amelia1810

Amelia1810 One of Us

I had to laugh when the article linked in the OP said “you don’t buy your pasta at a sports store – so why are you buying your ski and snowboard gear at a supermarket?”
    You really don't know Aldi do you?! I know where I'll be Sat morning - getting my pasta AND ski wear. :whistle:

skivet, Chaeron and piolet like this.
  14. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

Some of the Decathlon stuff is good - we got a helmet for our 3 year old there, after being unimpressed with Aldi's offer. That said, much of what we buy will come from Aldi, or second hand from Facebook groups. The only thing I really plan on buying new are some bibs for myself, and possibly snowboard boots for him.

15. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

Sizing on Decathlon is very small, I was given an XXL windshirt to try, it fitted like an American large small or a small medium An Australian medium to large so I haven't bothered trying anything else from there

16. Donzah

Yeah their cycling gear is "euro" sized.
    I'm a large in USA bibs, but a XL in the Euro sizing.

17. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

18. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I went and had a look at the ALDI snow gear sale today but it all looked cheap and nasty.

zac150 likes this.
  19. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Lel.

20. Goski

Goski Hard Yards

The range of socks <$10 look ok. Some are 50% wool. Looks like snazzy looking synthetic base layer tops and bottoms can be had for $10 but I'm a merino lover these days. I like how I can ski in a merino top for days and it still smells ok. Polypro gets stinky fast It is good though for kayak or rafting trips where merino won't be easy to get dry. Kids helmets are as low as $14. I'd I get near Box Hill or Knoxfield I'll have a look. Might try on their 2mm snorkelling (stinger) suit for $39. The hooded lycra one I got in an Airlie Beach opshop for $6 makes me look like a light blue condom stuffed with pillows! It's a bit short in the body too which is overly revealing. And no, I won't upload a pic :-0
    Now if they would offer some AT/backcountry/Telemark hardware that would be very nice.

21. kylep

kylep One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

The Decathlon guy buys a Helly Hansen jacket, saying it's to prove how cheap their gear is. I think he proved that he'd rather spend a bit more and get the quality than wear his own gear!

cornice11 and Goski like this.
  22. Goski

Goski Hard Yards

Yes. He didn't need to buy it. Just compare the prices. I got what I paid for a few years ago with an Aldi "premium" Inoc jacket. It was about $130 with a pit zips and a good hood plus it came with a prinsloft vest. However it was not very breathable at all. Certainly nowhere near the advertised 20,000mm specs which I found out +60 days (so nobeasy return) after purchase while day touring out of Illawong hut near Guthega.
    The Premium range could be better this year and they include a full primaloft jacket. If the shell is more breathable now it would be a very good value package. If anyone gets an Inoc jacket or pants gear this sale can you share how it performs please?

23. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

I bought the INOC jacket this year, having tried their general offer one last time around, with some issues.

Your comment on an earlier run premium jacket got me thinking though - is there any independent verification of the waterproof/breathability claims on clothing, or is it down to manufacturers being honest?

24. Richard

Richard Maintenance Dept Administrator

Either this is just PR nonsense or he didn't get the memo on what happened to Masters.

Established tech fabrics such as Goretex are independently verified - there is however always new fabrics on the market and their claims would not yet be independently verified. But fabrics manufacture is a different animal to garment manufacture and the garment manufacturer can easily screw up the performance of the technical fabric with poor construction methods.

Part of the reason Goretex is so expensive is that they ensure end-consumer experience by controlling and managing the quality of garment manufacture with strict licenses.

Tech fabrics is a rabbit hole of methods and techniques, all the superior methods are invariably a laminated membrane combined with water repellent on the outer layer whilst the low quality tech fabrics rely only on water repellents.

The goretex wiki entry is as good a place to start as any to learn more.

Chaeron, Goski and nezumi like this.
  25. Goski

Goski Hard Yards

I've gone back to reliable gortex with a Kathmandu technical goretex xcr shell I got relatively cheaply at one of their outlet shops in collingwood. "Guaranteed to keep you dry" Also got a Kathmandu x-series lightweight softshell with a helmet compatible hood. The softshelk was my go to jacket for my last Japan trip. Only wore my gortex once in 2 weeks on a colder drizzly day.
    As Richard wrote, a lot of time and money went into product dev and test with goretex (and other established fabrics like eVent) while alternatives can make big claims that aren't verified. My Aldi jacket still makes a fine casual raincoat and I use the primaloft vest but when I'm active I run pretty hot and breathabilty is highly valued.

26. Goski

Goski Hard Yards

BTW I'd always thought Kathmandu technical garments were inferior to Mont, Macpac, Mountain Designs but I've changed my mind. My wife likes her Goretex XCR Kathmandu proshell and I like my softshell and shell jacket a lot. The softshell is quite thin and stretchy. It is lightweight and packs up small. If I'm getting cold I chuck in another thermal or a vest or uber light down jacket. I'd rather use more layers in cold weather than have a heavy insulating softshell. Also none of the Macpac and Mountain Designs technical shells had pit zips when I was buying 18 months ago. When skiing uphill or in humid conditions pit zips are great to shed excess heat and they are a must have when I buy a shell jacket.

Chaeron likes this.
  27. Goski

Goski Hard Yards

Sorry. No more thread hijacking by me! Back to the Decathlon sale.......they are providing some more competition at the lower end of the snow clothing market which is good for people who are ggoing forsnowplay or going to the snow for just a few weekends at alpine resorts.

28. RTL

RTL Hard Yards

Was in the Box Hill South store on Sunday afternoon. Had mounted up skis, but no ski boots in stock. Also noticed they had in stock climbing gear, including a set of crampons and ice axe. Simond brand, not their home brand.

Chaeron likes this.
  29. zac150

zac150 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

The standard waterproof test is

Waterproof ratings are determined by the clothing manufacturer or fabric producer, with testing done either by independent laboratories or in-house. There are a number of different testing protocols in use, but most involve the equivalent of placing a 1” x 1” square tube over the fabric and determining how high (in millimeters) a column of water you can suspend over it before it starts to leak. Some manufacturers have developed their own testing methods that involve adding pressure to the process to simulate the effects of wind.

One of the issue with the testing is that humidity on the day plus altitude of lab etc can effect the testing. One of the reasons that The ratings typically go in 5000 increments is the same fabric can test differently, in the same lab and different labs, plus people won’t be able to tell the difference between 10k and 12k.

I chringe at products that claim outside this.

One of the Aldi soft shell products made a waterproof claim that would have made it market leading for soft shell :rolleyes:.

I checked out the sale as well and picked up some merino products. I know they aren’t as good as icebreaker etc as they are old tech but at the price suited for the kids.

The thing I find funny is most skiers would turn their noses up at a new set of ski’s using technology from the 2014 yet when it comes to clothes they rave.

The reality is, we are realistic, we buy because it’s cheap and don’t try and justify it.

30. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I will ski on 2nd hand skinny XC classic skis as long as the pattern /fish scales, camber and lamination and bindings are in VGC. I have two pairs of such skis already ,But for merino wool base layers/ thermals for Nordic skiing and snow camping I will pay the ICEBREAKER brand price.

zac150 likes this.
  31. zac150

zac150 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

@Mister Tee on XC Skis my comment was directed at you, I was pointing out the irony that so many on here will spend 1000’s on skis to get the latest and greatest but don’t put the same research into the gear they put on their bodies.

I am with you I pay for quality

32. Shoey

Shoey Early Days

I was at Decathlon (Sydney Tempe) today looking for some poles and skibag (both of which they don't have), but spotted them having Atomic Cloud 11 (current year based on the graphics) for $399 with bindings, although not a ski to get much excited about it still seems like a fairly good deal.