Dedicated tour set up

MattyHoll

One of Us
Aug 17, 2016
Hey, so I've spent a bit more time on skis and skins this year and looking at moving to a light tour set up for next winter. Looking at collecting the bits and pieces between now and next year to spread the cost out and more than likely will start with purchasing the bindings as I already know I don't want a hybrid binding like a shift etc.

The question I have atm is, how important is the DIN value on a tech binding such as the Marker Alpinist? I weigh around 75 - 80 and obviously with a pack will be weighing a bit more. Looking at whats listed on aussieskier they offer a 8, 10 and 12. Does anyone have experience with this binding and realeses etc? do you use them with a brake or leash?

Chowder11

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 21, 2003
Elwood
Hey, so I've spent a bit more time on skis and skins this year and looking at moving to a light tour set up for next winter. Looking at collecting the bits and pieces between now and next year to spread the cost out and more than likely will start with purchasing the bindings as I already know I don't want a hybrid binding like a shift etc.

The question I have atm is, how important is the DIN value on a tech binding such as the Marker Alpinist? I weigh around 75 - 80 and obviously with a pack will be weighing a bit more. Looking at whats listed on aussieskier they offer a 8, 10 and 12. Does anyone have experience with this binding and realeses etc? do you use them with a brake or leash?
Id always recommend a brake unless your really trying to save weight down to the very last gram.
Those saved grams are worthless when your at the top and you ski is at the bottom haha.

Alpinist will never ski like a resort binding, they are not designed to push hard, but stick with your standard Din range and you should be ok, just don't be expecting to lay GS turns or huck cliffs on them.
Going the higher DIN would be my advice, and if you feel you need more tension then at least you will have some room to go up. Im assuming your a competent skier and your body weight plus all your BC gear will probably add up to 90ish kgs so you'll be fine with the higher DIN, you'll be well above the minimum from scratch.

Reactions: MattyHoll

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
I am used to leashes as after 30 years of telemark that's where you are. I tried brakes when they eventually became available for my tele bindings. After a good few goes over a couple of seasons I went back to leashes.

A little because the brakes made it more difficult to get into the bindings, not a good thing in a sketchy BC transition point, or even a good transition point. But more so because as I started more BC skiing with others (an awful lot of my BC skiing has been solo) and I've now seen way to many skis with brakes slide away over the edge.

True, once you unleash you can lose the ski. But you learn to manage this and keep leashed up until last minute and re-leash as soon as practical.

MattyHoll

One of Us
Aug 17, 2016
They wont be used in the resort, so i'm not concerned about that and I understand they'll be different to what I'm used to riding and I wont be doing any sort of tricks, jumps etc on them. The current guardians I have were set on 6 this year and I haven't had an issue with coming out of those on landings either forward or switch unless i've been completely off the mark, but im not skiing anything crazy either. The price difference is the main reason I'm considering the lesser dins.

No boots atm, boots and sizes seem slim pickings atm and I'll need to get a fitting anyway.

Basically just want a light set up that makes going further and longer trips easier, but staying with the alpine equipment I know. I'm guessing with the marker alpinist style binding as the brakes are additional I can always run these and switch to leash later. As I'm already accustomed to brakes, I'd probably have the ski shoot off down the hill by accident haha.

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
They wont be used in the resort, so i'm not concerned about that and I understand they'll be different to what I'm used to riding and I wont be doing any sort of tricks, jumps etc on them. The current guardians I have were set on 6 this year and I haven't had an issue with coming out of those on landings either forward or switch unless i've been completely off the mark, but im not skiing anything crazy either. The price difference is the main reason I'm considering the lesser dins.

No boots atm, boots and sizes seem slim pickings atm and I'll need to get a fitting anyway.

Basically just want a light set up that makes going further and longer trips easier, but staying with the alpine equipment I know. I'm guessing with the marker alpinist style binding as the brakes are additional I can always run these and switch to leash later. As I'm already accustomed to brakes, I'd probably have the ski shoot off down the hill by accident haha.

So DIN 8 should not be an issue.

Reactions: MattyHoll

MattyHoll

One of Us
Aug 17, 2016
A little because the brakes made it more difficult to get into the bindings, not a good thing in a sketchy BC transition point, or even a good transition point.
Is this an issue with tech bindings also? I see some come with them and some are retro fitted.

Also, difference between the ATK Release 10, vs the crest? Quick google didnt show any crest for sale in aus, older model?

And yes, I was thinking 8 assuming they behave the same. Most other makes seem to be 10 minimum however. Just a matter of for the price are they worth it then I guess vs a different brand.

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Is this an issue with tech bindings also? I see some come with the and some a retro fitted.

In my case yes, it is a tech tele binding, brilliant piece of kit.

You know you want to join the gods of telemark.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass