1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

News DELWP Future of our Forests - Online Survey

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by SuskiQ, Feb 12, 2019.

1. SuskiQ

SuskiQ Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

DELWP are producing a new Newsletter "Future of our Forests". In the newsletter is the below information about an Online Survey on forest management. I thought a few folks here might be interested.

Future of our Forests – Online Survey
    All Victorians are invited to answer an online survey and provide their views on how forest management can be improved, and what you would like from forests into the future.

The survey is open until 31 March 2019 on the Engage Victoria website:
    https://engage.vic.gov.au/future-of-our-forests

Tanuki, Pink and Chaeron like this.
  2. Chaeron

Chaeron One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Very good survey i.m.o.

3. Endless_Winter

Endless_Winter One of Us

There's also this (mentioned in another sub forum), which is more high country specific...

https://engage.vic.gov.au/alpine-resorts-strategic-plan

My personal opinion, not that anyone cares or is asking, is that primarily we need to preserve and protect our unique high country from unnecessary (subjective I know) development and damage such as "glamping on the razorback", mechanised national park access (e.g. snowmobiles), more ski lifts, feral animals e.g. deer, brumbies, foxes. I'm not anti ski resort, I use them myself. I will be interested to see how this new "town square" thing at Hotham looks when it's finished.

Goski and Chaeron like this.
  4. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Team Bears need a fleet of dozers working throughout the year under their direction.

Team Bears will decide on environmental grounds where management gates will be placed.

Team Bears will not tolerate any greenie radicals stuffing up forest silvicultural operations....

Team Bears will ban all fun runs on any part of our sacred Mt Bogong.

Team Bears want a tax immediately imposed on AWT devotees....

Tax on all food drops any where on public land.

Hopefully we not sounding too much like SCOMO!

Team Bears willl consider a Vision Statement that will rattle on for a few pages and mean absolutely nothing to anyone.

teckel likes this.
  5. Chaeron

I reckon you hit the nail on the high country head.

6. Chaeron

7. Goski

Goski Addicted

It is a pretty deep level survey needing respondents to familiarise themselves with details of existing RBAs to answer the survey questions. I'll do the written submission option instead in support of completing the overdue transition to plantation-only supply for thd timber industry...something that could have been done last century...halting species loss (sadly an unlikely outcome) and limiting or preventing the slow creep of commercial activity impinging on the enjoyment of public users of our forests. I too don't want exclusive private operator glamping sites and private commercial huts popping up across our parks nor do I want snowmobiles or quad bikes whoosing by me when I'm ski touring or walking on the high plains or on quiet forest trails. Nor will I appreciate more helicopter tourism when I'm trying to enjoy some peace and quiet. How old growth forests are treated in Japan..with reverence..could be a good guide for Australia. On the downside, Japan isn't so reverent about where their imported wood products come from with a lot of it from established Indonesian forest and we send them old growth woodchips. Australia can and must do better. We have the space that they don't to grow all of the desired timber for domestic and export use in plantations.

Belly and Chaeron like this.
  8. Chaeron

It does require more than a brief response- reading the documentation etc. I put together an extensive response yesterday, It took me quite some time.

Putting it together made me realise that maybe I should do more - the conservation line needs to be packaged in such a way that it can be adopted by the mainstream of the 2 major parties as orthodoxy, rather than being understood by the public as a Greens type position on the left of politics.

There are now economic arguments related to the proper valuation and preservation of limited resources and intergenerational equality and risk management which are currently not being presented in the public debate around Victoria’s public land which could provide a proper rationale for taking a stronger conservation stance.

skifree likes this.
  9. Goski

Goski Addicted

@Chaeron I'd like to see a more accessible survey in addition to this one. I'll add that to my response. I think many people who take a look at this one will deem it too much effort and it is slanted to those who intimately know about RBAs or can be bothered to read up on them. I also think the dragging issue of the timber industry clinging onto access for harvesting established state-owned hardwood forest to support a small number of jobs at great environmental cost clouds the process. No Vic government has the balls to complete the transition to 100% plantation timber using fast-growing species. The house building industry pillar our economy rests upon wants and uses softwood that is better sourced from plantations. They don't want hardwood from our dwindling native forest areas so it gets chipped into low value product. We should be growing high yielding low-THC hemp for paper-making, not using much more energy to chip trees.

skifree and Chaeron like this.
  10. Chaeron

Agreed!

11. Budgiesmuggler

Budgiesmuggler A Local Ski Pass: Gold

:eek:

12. Chaeron

Some ‘selective’ editing of the original post there...