Development @ Thredbo

HappyGirl

One of Us
Mar 12, 2009
wangster said:
I have no concrete evidence of this but in my experience Perisher definitely closes their chairs quicker than Thredbo on a windy day. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that the chairs at Perisher are all quite exposed whereas the trees give some protection at Thredbo (thanks captain obvious). If the wind is coming from a certain direction though (more southerly, if I recall?) then Thredbo is out of luck.
The major problem point is right at the top of Kosci near the triple tower thingo. All the rocks up there just squeeze the wind between them and straight at the chairs.

I don't like to ski on stupid windy days anyway but Perisher still has the upper hand on days like that because you can skate somewhere to catch a t-bar instead of waiting impatiently at the bottom of Kosci or Gunbarrel.

Oh, do miss dear old Crackenback, the days when you could ski off at Kareela and not cop the blast at the triple towers.
frown.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

tbnext

One of Us
Mar 3, 2008
I'm a thredbo girl, even on a windy day you can usually get access with slow gums. Antons will usually be running but I can't handle getting a micro dermabrasion with lift ticket more than 2 or 3 times. In my experience in these conditions thredbo visibility is ever so marginally better- and the schnapps at black sallees closer.

Sweens

First Runs
Jun 4, 2008
Sydney
Thredbo has released their application for the alteration/extension to the High Noon Run Out/Friday Flat area.
Map of the alterations - Map of Alerations
Link to the DoP Page - Friday Flat Extension

In short, they are cutting a path to the west of the current path, which is 18m, then narrows to 12m before having a bridge over the river, before cutting back into the original run.
- Snowrunner #1 is being moved into the 'bowl' that is located on the Jindabyne side of Friday Flat, effectively the snowplay area.
- A new Snowrunner (Includes roof!) is being built going from the Top of Easy Does it towards the old exit run, so that the beginners can access the area.

Personally, I think it might get a bit tight transferring down from 18 to 12m, especially over the bridge. Moreover the beginner skiers appear to still be on the slope when the intermediate/advanced skiers are fed back into the old run, but I think that might just be the ambiguity of the diagram.

crackson

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 20, 2006
Snowy Mountains
Marketing fluff.

It won't have any real effect on serious sliders. No one looks for quality turns in that zone.

As for developments. Stop cutting a month off the season with the half assed spring effort.

Run snowmaking till the end of the season and make it conditional that on hill restaurants must trade the whole season. Don't just let them all make a killing for 8wks and then piss off and leave the hill in Sept coz it's a little bit quiet and they aren't raking cash in.

Media and marketing work really hard(sif) to promote the resort for peak times when the place will be full anyway, yet out of peak times, when the resort/traders really needs their efforts, they evaporate.

For the amount the amount of people I hear complaining about the short season in aus, there sure seems to be a lot of well paid people trying to make it shorter.

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
crackson said:
Marketing fluff.

It won't have any real effect on serious sliders. No one looks for quality turns in that zone.
Ain't that the truth.

kiter

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 21, 2002
Newcastle
walked the dead horse gap trail yestserday and cam e across a line of surveying pegs and also saw a new shed or something on the edge of the lease area .hmmmmm??

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
KT have had at least one DA go through just recently. The mtb is about to go off, just watch.

Hobber

A Local
May 22, 2002
Sydney
I just checked the DoP page for Thredbo plans - they've had the comms shed approved but haven't started on that... and they've had the Eagle Way snowmaking approved... any movement there?

easty

One of Us
Jul 1, 1999
NSW Snowy Mountains
The work on the eagle way snowmaking is just about complete.

Work commenced in November 2012
IMG_2037.JPG

January 2013
IMG_2091.JPG

uze2ski

Hard Yards
Oct 27, 2011
NSW
The above pic emphasises... Eagle Way is a bloody disgrace... how many thousand people are thrown up to the top of Crackenback every hour, some can ski or board, many cannot only for them to have to navigate down this 3 metre wide track. Snowmaking won't help, it needs to be thought out and built out nice and wide with options for everyone.

HappyGirl

One of Us
Mar 12, 2009
uze2ski said:
The above pic emphasises... Eagle Way is a bloody disgrace... how many thousand people are thrown up to the top of Crackenback every hour, some can ski or board, many cannot only for them to have to navigate down this 3 metre wide track. Snowmaking won't help, it needs to be thought out and built out nice and wide with options for everyone.

The many that cannot should not be going up there in the first place. They should learn the colour coded runs on the map.

Dos

One of Us
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Visit site
What about this one. Have they come up with the finding yet?

--------

New Stage for Thredbo Development

Thredbo will commence a feasibility study on the building of a new chairlift that will replace the now decommissioned Ramshead Chairlift.

Mr Kim Clifford, General Manager Kosciuszko Thredbo (KT), announced that Thredbo’s parent company, Amalgamated Holdings Limited (AHL), has approved funding for a feasibility study into a replacement lift.

“It is a really exciting time for Thredbo and snow goers. The study will consist of initial surveying, environmental assessments and investigations into the best suitable replacement and location for a new chairlift. The findings should be available by November 2012†he said.

The decommissioning and disassembling of the historic Ramshead Chairlift has commenced and as part of the process Thredbo will offer 100 of the double chairs for sale. All proceeds will be given to charity, with 50% to be donated to the AHL nominated charity, the Children’s Hospital Foundation Australia, and the other 50% to be divided between the Thredbo Community Centre, Thredbo Early Childhood Centre, Disabled Winter Sports and the Thredbo Volunteer Ski Patrol.

The charity sale of the Ramshead chairs will commence on 11th May 2012 and be conducted via the Thredbo eStore. “We are hoping to raise approx $100,000 which will be a big boost to the nominated charities†said Mr Clifford.

As we say goodbye to a piece of Thredbo’s history, it is certainly exciting times ahead for Thredbo visitors.

For further information regarding the Charity Sale visit www.thredbo.com.au from 1st May 2012.

-ends-

19 April 2012

http://www.visitsnowymountains.com.au/blog-ramshead-April2012.pdf

D_Dog

Hard Yards
Jun 1, 2005
Sydney
The vast majority of new money to be made in Australian skiing is in the beginner and intermediate market. That is why Thredbo is pushing ahead with the friday flat/highnoon runout expansion and also why I think it is unlikely that the Tower 10 to Karels chair will be built in the foreseeable future.

Also its probably not a good idea to put the base station at tower 10 anyway. That area of the mountain does not hold snow very well and in addition, Thredbo is built around a top to bottom philosophy. So put the station at the bottom (if space can be found).

If this global warming thing continues and makes the lower part of the mountain unviable even with snowmaking, the only chance for Thredbo to expand is sideways above 1500m/1600m. This would need a change in the lease boundaries which is very very unlikely. A bit pessimistic I know. Any other thoughts?

K10

Hard Yards
Apr 23, 2005
Sydney
Expansion, no-way Jo-se
Cant see that happening whilst they are not making a BIG profit
The areas suitable for expansion ( GCB DHG TV) would only attract existing experienced customers, as mentioned by someone b4 they can only make money out of the existing revenue pool or by attracting new customers and offer them a complete package like OS resorts - "Give us your credit card and we'll give you a Pass and you can buy everything Accom, Lift, Lesson, Hire, Lunch, Beer, Ent. etc"

Dos

One of Us
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Visit site
At Thredbo now. Yesterday I walked to Friday Flat to see if anything has been started. As expected, nothing has changed except some easy down hill track. Carpet #2 still not moved. Beginner bowl is yet to be added with anything. Site for new access carpet at top of Friday Flat to the existing High Noon doesn't seem to have been prepared. And of course no new HN route has been cut.

Having said that, being able to sit on a an unused chairlift surrounded by grass during summer is so emotional. It feels like visiting a ruined site
biggrin.gif

Also went to the Evil Way to see the new guns hoping they would have numbers on them (so that I know the total number of guns at Thredbo). Unfortunately, no numbers have been attached yet.

I'm planning to walk all the walk tracks plus along all the main runs/areas during my stay over the next week. If anyone wants me to check anything out just let me know and I'll make the effort to do it for you.

JoeKing

Old n' Thrusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2011
a galaxy far, far away.
Dos said:
I'm planning to walk all the walk tracks plus along all the main runs/areas during my stay over the next week. If anyone wants me to check anything out just let me know and I'll make the effort to do it for you.

All I'd ask for is a few pics and possibly a TR.

smile.gif

Dos

One of Us
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Visit site
I took these photos with my old mobile phone and uploaded to Facebook. I haven't got a chance to upload photos from my camera yet so apologise for bad quality. Will come back and change the link once photos from camera been uploaded.

I'm wondering if these new guns will help with Evil Way. Won't the snow just go right off the side of it to Supertrail? What about the upper section?

ps. All terrains and runs seem to be steeper in summer than winter. I never knew Evil Way is this steep riding down it.

ps.2. Hopefully you can see the photo hot-linked from FB which I uploaded as Public.

539600_592539307441135_371765179_n.jpg

Dos

One of Us
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Visit site
JoeKing said:
Trip report.

Oh ok sure. Will do. But maybe I need to make it somehow relevant to Thredbo Development. Otherwise, it could be in the wrong place.

Just a second thought, I think I should create another thread for this so that it won't interfere with the integrity of the existing post.

Dos

One of Us
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Visit site
A very strange, unfamiliar sight of Friday Flat.

I've been wondering why they put snow guns in the middle of the area. Why not putting them at the side perhaps under the chairlift so that they won't get in the way?

12984_592228127472253_416993442_n.jpg

Dos

One of Us
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Visit site
Proposed relocation carpet, still here.

Ps. I fell off this very carpet on my first day learning to ski, from this height and no snow on the ground. Luckily it didn't break my neck or arms -- just extremely embarrassed.

69687_592131894148543_1738748444_n.jpg

JoeKing

Old n' Thrusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2011
a galaxy far, far away.
Dos said:
A very strange, unfamiliar sight of Friday Flat.

I've been wondering why they put snow guns in the middle of the area. Why not putting them at the side perhaps under the chairlift so that they won't get in the way?

12984_592228127472253_416993442_n.jpg

I've thought the obvious reason is so the wind doesn't waste the effort by letting the snow get blown into the trees. Can can move it from one side to the other here but once it's in the bush...

Dos

One of Us
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Visit site
JoeKing said:
I've thought the obvious reason is so the wind doesn't waste the effort by letting the snow get blown into the trees. Can can move it from one side to the other here but once it's in the bush...

Oh that's true. I didn't think of the wind.

Dos

One of Us
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Visit site
Thredbo Summer Grooming is underway!

Runs that I know to have been groomed are Walk About (groomed yesterday) and Supertrail (was being groomed today afternoon.)

Photo from above Supertrail.

528292_593940743967658_676393742_n.jpg

D_Dog

Hard Yards
Jun 1, 2005
Sydney
a bit early for grass mowing surely. I thought they waited until april or may to do it. Maybe they have another mow scheduled then.

Oh and the highnoon/friday flat extension was always going to happen after this coming winter season. I think they only just got approval from the state government.

Dos

One of Us
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Visit site
They have said they would make it available for 2013 winter season, at least the beginner bowl next to day car park. I think this is possible because I don't think it needs too much work to be done apart from moving one/or installing one more carpet and some snow making guns.

High Noon extension is unlikely to be completed by this coming season.

As for grass mowing, I talked to a staff and they said they do it several times a year. Maybe not all parts, but the important ones get done a few times during summer and autumn.

Dos

One of Us
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Visit site
I saw some guys working at the Cruiser Express loading station. They Maybe maintenance.

Seeing Cruiser Express top station in Summer in sensational. It's like visiting an old home of my own.

549790_594306407264425_546828572_n.jpg

Dos

One of Us
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Visit site
If I'm not mistaken, they installed five guns on the Eagle Way area. Just bottom half of the Supertrail from Eagle Way down. No gun above that.

I'll take more photos of that point when the sky is clear. I hate taking photos when it's cloudy. I'm too bad at photography to make it look nice in that lighting condition.

It's raining now. I'm stuck at YHA
laugh.gif

Talking about YHA, I expected it to house many people. As it turned out, there are only less than 10 people in the whole hostel. Everyone's got a room to themselves -- at $29 per night
laugh.gif

Dos

One of Us
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Visit site
I guess it will continue to rain until the end of the day. Maybe I'll have to do something else like swimming and relaxing at the pool and spa.

I did a lap of Bobsled on Monday, but it isn't open today, obviously.

306201_593947053967027_409165210_n.jpg

207356_593527944008938_1207700792_n.jpg

Dos

One of Us
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Visit site
I'd be so cool if these hills were included as part of Thredbo Resort. Current highest hill is the small black hill to the left of this photo.

This would add like 100 metres to vertical drop and almost a km to the length. When I was on top of Karel's T-bar I could see that a run could be made from the top and connected with current Supertrail at the bend near Funnel Web exit. Heaps of other runs could also be made down from these hills to the back of Basin T-Bar.

164417_593318257363240_883661960_n.jpg

Nidecker

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
Alpine the dark side of snowboarding
Dos said:
I'd be so cool if these hills were included as part of Thredbo Resort. Current highest hill is the small black hill to the left of this photo............................................................................back of Basin T-Bar.

Amazing that you can post images etc from Thredbo, there were times last winter on Telstra 3G that you couldn't even get online? And there are elected members of our parliament who think wireless is an option for broadband
laugh.gif

Dos

One of Us
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Visit site
Nidecker said:
Amazing that you can post images etc from Thredbo, there were times last winter on Telstra 3G that you couldn't even get online? And there are elected members of our parliament who think wireless is an option for broadband
laugh.gif

Even more amazing if you know that I'm using internet through Vodafail network
laugh.gif

Wireless is okay for normal use but still along way to go before it can cost-effectively, reliably replace ADSL and Cable.

Dos

One of Us
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Visit site
Nidecker said:
And there are elected members of our parliament who think wireless is an option for broadband
laugh.gif

Actually the MP is right in thinking wireless is (just) AN option for broadband. He didn't say wireless is THE option for broadband.
laugh.gif

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Hey Dos...just wanted to let you know I appreciate these pics being uploaded, it is really interesting to see Thredbo without snow and the new developments.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass