Development @ Thredbo

JoeKing

Old n' Thrusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2011
a galaxy far, far away.
Lady Mamabear said:
Hey Dos...just wanted to let you know I appreciate these pics being uploaded, it is really interesting to see Thredbo without snow and the new developments.

This.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dos

One of Us
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Visit site
Who said Thredbo Ski season has ended? No, it's not all closed. Golf Course Bowl is still OPEN!
laugh.gif

12268_595903167104749_836713355_n.jpg

Dos

One of Us
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Visit site
Yes, Funnel Web is steep, very steep. Some points are more than 45 degrees. Looking down doesn't give it justice. Looking up is more obvious, but the Sun was directly ahead so I couldn't take photo from that angle.

Hopefully, by the end of 2013 season (before it was closed of course) I'll be able to ski/snowboard down it. That remains to be seen, though.

549780_595904407104625_1320868155_n.jpg

Dos

One of Us
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Visit site
JoeKing said:
Ok. You go first..

I'll be right behind you.

Hahaha.

Today I mistook the ridge next to Golf Course Bowl for the one on which the Funnel web locates. I thought I would just take some photo from the top of Funnel Web then walk back to Dead Horse Track. However, by the time I realised it was a wrong ridge, I went to far to go back so I decided to walk down to Golf Course Bowl and traverse to the top of Funnel Web.

The beginning of Funnel Web is too steep, almost a cliff from Golf Course Bowl side. I couldn't see anything so I walked down a little bit... and a bit more... and some more. No sooner than I stood on the Funnel Web itself did I realise I had gone too far. Therefore, I decided to walk down the Funnel Web to the village. It took me about one hour to arrive the Village Terminal... with some big blisters T_T

Dos

One of Us
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Visit site
Bottom half of Funnel Web has been mowed. I don't think they can go much further cuz the section above is impossible for the mower to go up.

Well, just this half is better than doing nothing I guess.

487296_595909980437401_1226912133_n.jpg

JoeKing

Old n' Thrusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2011
a galaxy far, far away.
Btw, the 1000h computer. I have one that has been all over the world. Had to buy a new battery for it recently. But if it could talk...

Oh, and nice office view you got there. Bastard.
wink.gif

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Piste Again

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 27, 2000
Rozelle, NSW
Dos said:
The beginning of Funnel Web is too steep, almost a cliff from Golf Course Bowl side. I couldn't see anything so I walked down a little bit... and a bit more... and some more. No sooner than I stood on the Funnel Web itself did I realise I had gone too far. Therefore, I decided to walk down the Funnel Web to the village. It took me about one hour to arrive the Village Terminal... with some big blisters T_T

I've skied funnelweb twice. Once in good snow, and it was a hoot. Once it was icy and had vegetation poking through and it was a bloody nightmare.

Acav

Hard Yards
Aug 31, 2010
Piste Again said:
I've skied funnelweb twice. Once in good snow, and it was a hoot. Once it was icy and had vegetation poking through and it was a bloody nightmare.

I have never got it with the bottom part open, it is on my list of things to do before I die, as is the schuss

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
If you have skied GCB, you must have skied lower FW. If you have not skied GCB, add it to the list. I think FW's reputation is pretty fair, its a pretty hard run most of the time. If Schuss is on, go up Antons, do Wiamea, cut hard across into Powder Bowl, then exit into Schuss, its an awesome run.

Dive

Hard Yards
Mar 31, 2008
Sydney
telecrag said:
If Schuss is on, go up Antons, do Wiamea, cut hard across into Powder Bowl, then exit into Schuss, its an awesome run.

How do you get from PB to Schuss? Through the crowds at the Merrits restaurant and past Merrits chairlift, or is there a nifty firetrail round the back of the restaurant?

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
You can duck around behind, through the trees, there is a FT but you miss too much, or through Merritts and down next to the lift. Depends how well you know the area, or how good your sense of direction/location is. Its just as fun as the longer runs on the other side IMO, and only a chair and one T to get you there. Also Micheals Mistake, Pegasus and exit high for Schuss is good.

2011 we skied Schuss in July, prolly third tracks down it, quite different, no bumps, still fun. Love to see more terrain open on that side of the hill, knock down a few trees....one more cat track.....extend the lease out that side...lift Stanley's....bring back cat skiing....dream dream dream.

Dive

Hard Yards
Mar 31, 2008
Sydney
Great, that will be something for me to try this year. Meant to try Schuss last year - the web site said it was open, but when I got there it had been closed for weeks, apparently (as had many others). Pegasus - such an heroic, mythic name. Never seen it open. Perhaps therein lies the myth.

Love that side of the hill. Walked up a few times in Summer (and maybe this weekend). Loads of opportunities.

Stanley's looks so enticing when sitting on the Cruiser. Another first for this Winter, I hope.

Dos

One of Us
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Visit site
What about these pipes and power line? I so hope they're for snowmaking at the new Beginner Bowl.

406785_596944393667293_815631476_n.jpg

Piste Again

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 27, 2000
Rozelle, NSW
Dive said:
Stanley's looks so enticing when sitting on the Cruiser. Another first for this Winter, I hope.

Make sure you go with someone who knows the area. People die in there.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Piste Again said:
Dive said:

Make sure you go with someone who knows the area. People die in there.
This times two

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
I am hoping to do the 'Tip Run' this season, gotta be there on the day for that one. And know someone who knows the way. Many end in a world of hurt, but I know the Tip Master.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
telecrag said:
I am hoping to do the 'Tip Run' this season, gotta be there on the day for that one. And know someone who knows the way. Many end in a world of hurt, but I know the Tip Master.

bring your own brush cutters?
2004 and 2000 i remember seeing quite a few

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
The master did it last year, but overestimated the cover down low, they slogged a couple of hours to get out.

Dive

Hard Yards
Mar 31, 2008
Sydney
Where is this Tip run you speak of? Sounds like something to avoid.

I'm popping down this weekend. May do some reconnaissance if I have time.

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Dive said:
Where is this Tip run you speak of? Sounds like something to avoid.

When people ski Stanleys, they normally exit pretty high, cross the creek (which can be nasty at the wrong spots) and traverse out to the Tbar. The Tip Run is Stanleys all the way down. If you dont know the way, it could take all day, or longer. I think I know the way, as I have seen the masters tracks out, but I still wouldnt go by myself. Unless I felt like an epic.

Dive

Hard Yards
Mar 31, 2008
Sydney
Might give the Tip Run a miss - could bet my beard caught in the bushes. Unless I feel like an epic. Always feel epic. But this sounds epic tending to foolishness. Do you have to cross the Thredbo River at the bottom?

D_Dog

Hard Yards
Jun 1, 2005
Sydney
I got to ski lower FW in 2004. Only the very last bit was sketchy as a tree had fallen over the trail. Fun though.

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
tele-whippet said:
Maybe a group tele adventure?

Its really only possible when we have good low level snow, Snow Blowey has had an epic there with BushPatrol I think. Pretty sure they waded the river. I have gone too far down Stanleys, fk it gets steep. It was adrenaline just trying to get the skins on so I could get out.

Its side country, but having backcountry experience, or a good guide, is essential IMO. Have seen it with wind packed slabs, and have seen debris, but not seen it go. Far more serious that doing DHG or similar.

But I would be up to ski too far and skin back up anytime, its really fun. The traditional exit is too high, making it a short but sweet, but no skinning.

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
Alpine the dark side of snowboarding
telecrag said:
Dive said:
tele-whippet said:
Maybe a group tele adventure?
I don't tele - I snowboard. But I have a beard. Can I come?

You are in.

I can sort of tele but I snowboard better, I don't have a beard but I'm really good looking, (at least thats what I see in the mirror) Can I come too???

PS there is NO WAY i'm tellying off piste
smile.gif

Dos

One of Us
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Visit site
I'm leaving Thredbo tomorrow morning. Twelve days went too fast. Sort of sad.

A bit too hot to walk yesterday so I did a bit of work at my Mile-High office
biggrin.gif

599909_596811890347210_1913534765_n.jpg

K10

Hard Yards
Apr 23, 2005
Sydney
telecrag said:
The master did it last year, but overestimated the cover down low, they slogged a couple of hours to get out.

What he actually admitted that he had to bush bash
NO.... not if its the same "Tip Master" I know

I thought he lapped it about half-a-dozen times a day

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Ahhhahaha, only at night, after a few beers. I think he may have done it twice in a day once. He had the pro ski bum with him last time, poor bugger nearly died on the slog out, I saw photos.

BOT, the new track down the river gives an easier exit. Looking forward to seeing how far I can go on opening w/e, the guys are doing Nairigo to Diggngs over the next 12 weeks.

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
I hit Stanley's heaps to the car park in 2004 and 2005. Down low is plain survival. Calling it skiing iisn't accurate.

In 2010 brian Wilson was lead down there by me after the 2 august 1 m dump. First proper fall of the season . The unconsolidated snow skied poorly. It was down right dangerous trying to negotiate pillows on top of unstable 3 m high swaying shrubs. Got across the creek and the only way for us to go was back up to merits in 1 m of soft snow with no base and very uneven ground underneath. 1 hour slog. Called it a day after that. Wilson hasn't trusted my judgement since.

Dive

Hard Yards
Mar 31, 2008
Sydney
I'm in Thredbo today, hoping to check out Stanleys. Went fora walk yesterday and found anything off the beaten track to be very difficult, s don't know how successful the recce will be.

Saw some temporary fences and a digger at the point where the the new High Noon cut will begin, so that work could be imminent. Also a bit of a fence and a van on the firetrack where the Friday Flat cut may be. Treated to an excellent lightning display last night.

Karen97

One of Us
May 3, 2005
Thredbo
It was a great little storm last night. Stunning day in the hills today
biggrin.gif

easty

One of Us
Jul 1, 1999
NSW Snowy Mountains
Sweens said:
Thredbo has released their application for the alteration/extension to the High Noon Run Out/Friday Flat area.
Map of the alterations - Map of Alerations
Link to the DoP Page - Friday Flat Extension

In short, they are cutting a path to the west of the current path, which is 18m, then narrows to 12m before having a bridge over the river, before cutting back into the original run.
- Snowrunner #1 is being moved into the 'bowl' that is located on the Jindabyne side of Friday Flat, effectively the snowplay area.
- A new Snowrunner (Includes roof!) is being built going from the Top of Easy Does it towards the old exit run, so that the beginners can access the area.

This is happening!!!

The earth works for this project started last week. The new beginner run has been cut and they have already cut about half way down the high noon extension.

cin

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 31, 2008
Chernobyl, Russia
does this give you a bit of extra steeper run or is it just another relatively flat cruise like the normal route?

Piste Again

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 27, 2000
Rozelle, NSW
cin said:
does this give you a bit of extra steeper run or is it just another relatively flat cruise like the normal route?

Pretty much the same as the normal route I'd say.

Sad that the only new run for god knows how long is this one.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass