Development @ Thredbo

VSG

Crayon Master
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com
Had to get it clear in my own mind how the High Noon hyperspeed riders will be separated from the beginners.

The black line represents the fence to delineate the two groups.

detailoffflatchange.png

Last edited by a moderator:

VSG

Crayon Master
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com
Surely, as some have already said.. a clear separation of beginners and High Noon riders has to occur.

Perhaps like this?

detailoffflatchange2.png

Dos

One of Us
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Visit site
VSG said:
Surely, as some have already said.. a clear separation of beginners and High Noon riders has to occur.

Perhaps like this?
That will waste a lot of space. I think the solution that will cost minimum space is to erect a new fence here then traffic from both sides won't cross.

923064_629292523765813_71051988_n.jpg

D_Dog

Hard Yards
Jun 1, 2005
Sydney
I read the above comment and went on the news 24 website, clicked the live feed just as the story came on, great timing.

some shots of the new highnoon runout and the snowmaking water pumps, and some interesting comments from the meteorologist.

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
Alpine the dark side of snowboarding
D_Dog said:
I read the above comment and went on the news 24 website, clicked the live feed just as the story came on, great timing. some shots of the new highnoon runout and the snowmaking water pumps, and some interesting comments from the meteorologist.

Bugger missed it.

I wonder now that they have water / snow making right up at eagle way, whether they can hook into that, and would it would be worthwhile to use portable snow guns to get the basin up and running early? Spread those early season crowds across the mountain a bit more?

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
They need such a lot of snow up there to cover the rocks...

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Dos said:
Can't they do summer grooming, removing rocks, at Eagle Way + Supertrail junction and Basin?
Within reason..its the NPWS remember.

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
But those rocks make it so much more fun in marginal conditions
laugh.gif

Dos

One of Us
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Visit site
Lady Mamabear said:
But those rocks make it so much more fun in marginal conditions
laugh.gif
It's a scary thing for me as of now. Hope to get pass this by the end of season.

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Don't let my bravado fool you - snow I can handle - rocks...I turn into a big sooky girl.

tbnext

One of Us
Mar 3, 2008
I'd still love to see a base to Karels/ golf course. A natural replacement to rams head. Kosi is awesome and you'd be weird if you didn't think the super trail and its options were great. This to me is a natural no brainer. But I get it expensive, more clearing but it would be awesome.

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
tbnext said:
I'd still love to see a base to Karels/ golf course. A natural replacement to rams head. Kosi is awesome and you'd be weird if you didn't think the super trail and its options were great. This to me is a natural no brainer. But I get it expensive, more clearing but it would be awesome.

Yeah some options on fresh track days would be good, last year some of the morning lift lines were a bit diabolical
frown.gif

sbm

One of Us
Aug 2, 2010
Sydney
huckanddyno.wordpress.com
Ramshead was a pretty useless lift that went nowhere. I'd rather they upgrade Kosci to a 6 seater, or spend the money on snowmaking.

While they're at it, fix up the Kosci top station with better de-icing so they can get it open before 9:30am the morning after a storm. THAT'S an actual problem.

cin

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 31, 2008
Chernobyl, Russia
Imagine the top and Eagles way with 50% more people being dumped there with each chair
shocked.gif

Piste Again

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 27, 2000
Rozelle, NSW
cin said:
Imagine the top and Eagles way with 50% more people being dumped there with each chair
shocked.gif

^^^ this.

The main runs back down to the terminal are at capacity - moving more people up from the base is a recipe for disaster. If they could steer more people down True Blue/Little Beauty, and make the run down under the chair more inviting to link in with those runs, then they could afford to put in the extra capacity.

I'd like to see a chair from near Eagles Nest or low down in the Basin up to the top of Karels. At present it's a saga getting to the top of Karels and the area is relatively deserted as a result. Seriously, 2 T-bars for an extra 100 metres of vertical is hardly worth it, especially when the Basin queue is the usual long wait. Yes it would be closed some of the time but it'd attract a lot more people over to that part of the mountain, also making the 6-pack more of an option.

VSG

Crayon Master
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com
Dos said:
I've always wondered why Thredbo can't put chairs on top of the mountain while other resorts can.

Much wind. Would be the main reason. The top of Thredbo runs SW to NE, copping the brunt of the prevailing westerlies.

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
VSG said:
Dos said:
I've always wondered why Thredbo can't put chairs on top of the mountain while other resorts can.

Much wind. Would be the main reason. The top of Thredbo runs SW to NE, copping the brunt of the prevailing westerlies.

Some imagination required! Maybe not arial lifts but ground based mini tram things??

tbnext

One of Us
Mar 3, 2008
Weird, you guys see my problem but can't see that the answer is a lift from the base to a different bit. Is your problem we all still need to filter back down the super trail to get back? Then funnel web is your answer. I luv funnel web , but im one of the fan club of 199, but it could be a trail, terrific run, shudder, groom it every day

tbnext

One of Us
Mar 3, 2008
Did I miss something, you want to ride a tbar for four minutes? Honey I do every weekend, my plan is small Karels/basin then when everyone catches on itS ANtons/sponsors for me. But... Give me a chair

HappyGirl

One of Us
Mar 12, 2009
tbnext said:
Weird, you guys see my problem but can't see that the answer is a lift from the base to a different bit. Is your problem we all still need to filter back down the super trail to get back? Then funnel web is your answer. I luv funnel web , but im one of the fan club of 199, but it could be a trail, terrific run, shudder, groom it every day

I hate the Funnel Web...the drop-off is too narrow and chewed out with big bumps for me (I really hate big bumps)!

I love the Bluff.
smile.gif

tbnext

One of Us
Mar 3, 2008
Happy girl. I'm sacrificing my beloved funnel web, everything you hate could be groomed out of existence. If you doubt that then I direct you to a few high noon pitches.

melty68

One of Us
Jul 7, 2007
cronulla nsw
i always ski over high noon merrits way these days probably coz i,m getting older.the weather is always better its a bit more sheltered and you can find some nice windblown stashes inbetween the awesome gum trees and then ski down to friday flat and walk across the road to our place and have lunch and a beer ...heaven.

Piste Again

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 27, 2000
Rozelle, NSW
A whole bunch of ideas :

Funnelweb is great when it's been groomed. I had the pleasure of skiing it like that once. With good cover, no ice on the steep bit, and groomed the night before, it's not out of the question for high intermediate skiers. I've never found the very top bit and always ended up getting there past Ramshead top station, so I can't comment on how difficult that part of the run might be, but with very little clearing you could make that entrance to Funnelweb a viable way down.

Similarly, the run down under the chair and through True Blue to where it merges with the bottom of Little Beauty and Funnelweb is good intermediate terrain when the top part has been groomed, and it's very under-used. If they regularly groomed the top part it would provide another way down. At present it's usually a decent jump off the top and then volkswagens for the first 50 metres.

With very little work they could open up 3 different ways down to a lot more people (supertrail, funnelweb, true blue) and that alone would make it a much more interesting resort. Add a lift up to Karels and I'll be happy for a while.

As for a lift to the top of Karels, it would probably be closed one or two days a week on average due to wind and a few more hours for visibility. They could still run the T-bars most of those days. There are a whole lot less people venturing up there in those conditions anyway.

If that lift started at the very bottom of the mountain it would cost quite a bit to build. Would it be cheaper to upgrade Kosi to a 6 (or 8?) seater and just build the Basin/Karels section of the new lift? Mind you, upgrading the Kosi chair would wipe out the summer tourism I guess.

It does strike me that Karels is under-utilised and something needs to be done with the lift system to make it easier to get people up there.

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
HappyGirl said:
My everyday fav is the bluff then down little beauty.
Great fun that!

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
Lady Mamabear said:
Dos said:
HappyGirl said:
I want an uber fast poma.
Snowboarders hate pomas.
I prefer a poma over a T

I stand to be corrected, but I believe the high speed poma at Guthries (Charlotte Pass), is the fastest drag/surface lift in Australia, it's self loading, and it was hilarious watching my daughter use it when she was around 22Kg, it would catapult her out of the load area, sometimes lifting her off the ground, and then further up the track she would also get air for a couple of metres.

It really was no problem on a snowboard either, and faaasstt
smile.gif

Piste Again

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 27, 2000
Rozelle, NSW
I reckon it'd be better up the existing Ramshead lift line. It's more sheltered and gives the option of a load station near the bottom of funnelweb/little beauty.

BlueHue

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2003
South of Cooma
Here's an idea.

Hgih speed squad to replace Ramsheads on slightly different alignment to top of Trapdoor, top station in trees just to the eastside of Trapdoor (to avoid worst of wind). Skiers exit left to New Golf Course quad. GC quad does not start at bottom of GC at exit run but about 100m vert higher up in that broad, shallow area - much better loading zone for intermediates than the bottom which funnels into a limited space with the last pitch quite steep, I could see the lower base station option becoming Thredbo's equivalent of the approach to Heavenly at Hotham, nasty overcrowded scraped out mess. New GC would run from 1750-2050m and provide a similar experience to Mt P. Skiers exit right of new Ramsheads quad to access to the new basin/karels quad chair, running from about 1850-2050m. Between this chair and the new GC quad you'll have wide expanse of open cruisey terrain with good snow cover and good options for advanced skiers too on the short steep faces that load up nicely in wind.. The new Ramshead lift will offer some great options for advanced riders down to mid station around tower ten with lower GC bowl glades, Funnel Web and glades off the side into Cannonball and even across to Trueblue/Little Beauty. The new Ramshead liftline will also create a new blackrun straight up the steep treed pitch from base of Trueblue until you meet Funnelweb about halfway up, similar run to Schuss but steeper and higher altitude so better snow.

Now the controversial bit, Crackenback is goorrnnnneeeee!! In its place Snowgums upgraded as the main access from village to the long blue Mt Cackenback groomers (cause lets face it, Eagle Way adds little) and for access across to Central Spur. Next a new lower capacity chair from base of Trueblue to top of Crackenback, must be lower capacity to avoid becoming Bluff/cannonball becoming overcrowded. Finally a new short t-bar from near Snowgums topload to top of Mt Crackenback for windy day access to Basin/karels t-bars meaning all terrain top to bottom is still skiable with wind closures for chairs.

Piste Again

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 27, 2000
Rozelle, NSW
Getting one new lift would be hard enough - three is a bit of an ask!

Gotta keep easy access to Merritts Falls though - that's the best part of supertrail.

And remember - to make it economical it needs to open up beginner and intermediate terrain. If some advanced slopes come into it then that's a benefit, but it won;t be high on their agenda.

benchives

I forgot how to ski
Ski Pass
Dec 30, 2006
sydney
Dreams.

Reality is cash spent is better returned on infrastructure for the n00bies.

I said on the first page the future of THredbo is lifting the gcb. I retract. Keep them all on merrits side. Gcb is just fine the way it is.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass