Development @ Thredbo

incogski

One of Us
May 14, 2013
Sydney
I could troll but...

This has turned from a small joke into something a bit more serious. No harm was intended! I know skiers and snowboarders have as much potential as each other to cause crashes, and they both do cause crashes. I respect all users of the mountain!

Dos

One of Us
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Visit site
incogski said:
I could troll but...

This has turned from a small joke into something a bit more serious. No harm was intended! I know skiers and snowboarders have as much potential as each other to cause crashes, and they both do cause crashes. I respect all users of the mountain!

I know you were joking. I just pretended to be serious a bit because I got bored of Friday Flat -- in other words nowhere to ride! I'm stuck at Friday Flat Bistro today until 2pm when my bus leave for Sydney.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dos

One of Us
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Visit site
I forgot to post this photo. It's a small entry for people from HN who want to enter the beginning of Giddy-up.

Perhaps this is for beginners who offload at Creek station to walk back to FF instead of having to go along with HN traffic.

1000043_647166851978380_1992888942_n.jpg

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Dos said:
incogski said:
I could troll but...

I know you were joking. I just pretended to be serious a bit because I got bored of Friday Flat -- in other words nowhere to ride! I'm stuck at Friday Flat Bistro today until 2pm when my bus leave for Sydney.

If you hear someone screaming "Get out of my fur king way!!!", that will be me, its my mountain, so stay out of my way
smile.gif

Not sure if people have read the code properly, it says teles have right of way at all times.

Pretty sure.

Also you get 10 points if you take out a bladerer.

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
There used to be 3 exits, one up high (which often ended up as the only way late in the season), one below the carpet for those wanting to head to the bistro, and the runout to the lift.

Dos

One of Us
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Visit site
I regret not being prepared for snow-walking. I don't have snow boots with me now. Otherwise, I'd do a bit of venturing up top from Merritts to Kosi along the Traverse, Village Trail, Supertrail and Evil way, and see if Evil way is still evil and do snow report along the way.

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
incogski said:
I could troll but...

laugh.gif
I took it as a joke. The majority of mountain users are cool, and the allegiance jokes fly - I'm coping a lot at the moment for being a snowboarder in possession of a new set of skis. I guarentee I am more dangerous on skis than a board - purely because I have no clue what I am doing!
laugh.gif

There are always the odd problem children though.
Seen cockie boarders with serious side servings of disrespect, and some stick up butt skiers who cause an accident and then blame the boarder. You've just gotta laugh.
wink.gif

10571_10200789144324713_408392172_n.jpg

Got a pic this afternoon.
Poor old Friday Flat is in bad shape.
You can see here on the right the drop from the new High Noon runout, in the middle behind the fence the old High Noon runout that is now Giddy Up, and the two branches of Friday Flat. When you add to this the very separate and safe beginners bowl behind the buildings it makes a WAY larger area for beginners. I am very impressed with what Thredbo has accomplished in this space! Kudos!

Now we just need snow.

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Dos said:
I forgot to post this photo. It's a small entry for people from HN who want to enter the beginning of Giddy-up.

Perhaps this is for beginners who offload at Creek station to walk back to FF instead of having to go along with HN traffic.

1000043_647166851978380_1992888942_n.jpg
Oh that's a very good idea!
Those starting at Valley Terminal can catch the Merritts lift to mid station, unload - slide a short way to the entry point and not have to do that short steeper pitch from the new HN runout. Very well thought out.

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
went for a wander this morning and had a look at the new Beginner Bowl.

7797_375467932558124_634217669_n.jpg

I think its a great idea in principle, but in reality, i think it is going to be way too small for peak hour traffic and I think there are going to be a lot of newbies there who won't pay and will slide down and walk up.

I'm thinking they should either reserve it for say under 10 yr olds, or make it only available for those who have purchased newbie lift tickets/lessons

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
went for a wander this morning and had a look at the new Beginner Bowl.

7797_375467932558124_634217669_n.jpg

I think its a great idea in principle, but in reality, i think it is going to be way too small for peak hour traffic and I think there are going to be a lot of newbies there who won't pay and will slide down and walk up.

I'm thinking they should either reserve it for say under 10 yr olds, or make it only available for those who have purchased newbie lift tickets/lessons

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
I also think (as previously stated by Dos, that there will be a bit of carnage where the end of HN runout intersects with the new FF expansion area (its virtually a T Junction there), and they should erect a bit more of a curved fence to encourage HNers to merge rather than intersect

Dos

One of Us
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Visit site
gareth_oau said:
And by so pushing those who don't pay to the main Friday Flat like before? Those who don't pay will not pay regardless. Better they stay in this space than hiking up and getting in the way at the main Friday Flat runs.

Dos

One of Us
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Visit site
gareth_oau said:
I also think (as previously stated by Dos, that there will be a bit of carnage where the end of HN runout intersects with the new FF expansion area (its virtually a T Junction there), and they should erect a bit more of a curved fence to encourage HNers to merge rather than intersect
I'm sure they will erect a net fence there.

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
Dos said:
gareth_oau said:
And by so pushing those who don't pay to the main Friday Flat like before? Those who don't pay will not pay regardless. Better they stay in this space than hiking up and getting in the way at the main Friday Flat runs.

neither is a perfect world, but at least (the newly expanded) FF will have more space to absorb them

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
also noticed today that there are no more Milo kids in their green bibs.

they are all wearing yellow Thredboland bibs and unfortunately were a lot harder to see

Piste Again

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 27, 2000
Rozelle, NSW
gareth_oau said:
also noticed today that there are no more Milo kids in their green bibs.

they are all wearing yellow Thredboland bibs and unfortunately were a lot harder to see

There was no Milo sponsorship last year either. My son was _very_ disappointed 'cos his older sister got heaps of merchandise when she was learning and he got squat last year.

Mind you, in his whole life he's skied 12 days overseas (6 in Canada, 6 in Japan) and 2 days in Oz, while she's done 80% of her 50+ days skiing at Thredbo.

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Anyone sliding on the beginner bowl when more than the beginner bowl is open is going to be a deadset beginner anyway (or someone helping a deadset beginner), I'd expect an unticketed more experienced rider will be shuffled off fairly quickly. I don't think it will be a problem.

And I fully expect that a curved removable barrier will go up at that HN/Giddy Up intersection. Removable will allow for good grooming. Permanent would mean problems with grooming the area well.

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
I tried the Beginner Bowl late this afternoon
outtahere.gif
laugh.gif

it was so flat and sludgy that I stopped half way down and couldnt get going again!
laugh.gif

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
gareth_oau said:
I tried the Beginner Bowl late this afternoon
outtahere.gif
laugh.gif

it was so flat and sludgy that I stopped half way down and couldnt get going again!
laugh.gif
Perisher is your solution until they open Cruiser. They've got the magic carpet running on a gentle slope for Nikki right there as well.

Dos

One of Us
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Visit site
I'd say wait till 8am before you decide to go to Perisher in case they open Cruiser tomorrow. I can't imagine anymore riding at Friday Flat. It's so bad now.

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
the new travellator from EDI to Giddy Up:

1011377_375502099221374_1655360828_n.jpg

Its a lot shorter than I expected - only around 20m long.

Anyone have any thoughts why its enclosed?

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
It's surrounded by trees, maybe it has a lot to do with debris.

When travelators get too much snow in them they start jerking and sometimes stop altogether, I suspect THAT rather than the comfort factor is why you see them covered in Japan - it would be a massive effort to keep clearing it. Maybe Thredbo saw the practical side of a covered snow runner, and also thought the marketing of having a 'warm, sheltered' ride up for new riders was a bonus.

Dos

One of Us
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Visit site
gareth_oau said:
the new travellator from EDI to Giddy Up:

Its a lot shorter than I expected - only around 20m long.

Anyone have any thoughts why its enclosed?

It's doesn't need any more length. It wouldn't even be there if the summer road was level with the top of Friday Flat.

As for cover apart from protecting the carpet from debris, this cover prevents people from falling into the creek. Don't think it can't happen. I did fall from the carpet, midway, at Friday Flat on my first day on ski. Don't laugh. Stupid I know.

easty

One of Us
Jul 1, 1999
NSW Snowy Mountains
The new burrow conveyor is about 3 metres above the creek below. For safety there would have needed to be railings at least. The railings would have made it difficult for snow clearing so the best option is to be completely covered.

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Couldnt call it the 'Burrow' without it, marketing decision, they already had the name for it.

I might have made that up.

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Righto, well I'm back and town and got to give the new High Noon runout a bash.
I like.

Conditions this arvo were great. The top and middle of high noon was fabulous, smooth and fairly fast. About level with the Merrits chair it got sugary. Not a problem until that final little bit of pitch back to the lift. Because it was sugary slush it moguled and rutted up, quite big'uns. I thought it was great fun but all the bodies floundering within trying to collect skis and poles probably didn't. There were a lot of fearful faces and a fair amount of carnage. It's an area I would suggest extra care needs to be taken by those than can, to protect those that can't (if you know what I mean), especially in the afternoon on warm days.

On the other hand... The concerns about merging with Friday Flat Giddy Up traffic were no issue.

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
gareth_oau said:
MB, stand on the side and record a vid of all the carnage that goes on
Thought about It after the fact G! If it is like it again I will, but the thing about the snow is one day it slushy and mogully, the next it's firm and flat..
wink.gif
(hopefully)

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Ok give it my best shot.
Haven't used the video on my phone yet...nor uploaded it...will have a crack though.

Was too busy racing the kids down today - was dead keen to be leader of the pack
laugh.gif

The competitive nature - nah...doesn't come from me. Much.

crackson

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 20, 2006
Snowy Mountains

I really want to get back on the hill in the morning and find LMB.

Should be going for surgery, but I think I can postpone it till Wed.

Will try. If I can't ski, i'll at least grab some footage of the new area and have some donuts.

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
crackson said:
Should be going for surgery, but I think I can postpone it till Wed.

Dude, the technique for that transplant is still experimental.

Seriously but, what surgery? Bummer?

crackson

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 20, 2006
Snowy Mountains

It's minor, but it will knock me off the hill for a few days.

Need some soft tissue cut out. Not saying where.

Cycling related.

MisterMxyzptlk

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Mar 12, 2002
crackson said:
It's minor, but it will knock me off the hill for a few days.

Need some soft tissue cut out. Not saying where.

Cycling related.

Is it in your crack son?

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
crackson said:
^Needs it's own 'Where Is...?' thread.

No it's not. It may or may not be close.

Does that help? Dad.

FIFY

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
laugh.gif

I'm flattered that you're postponing surgery 'down there' to come searching the hill for me Crackson!

In fact
rofl.gif

I'm not taking skis out in the morning. My lovely boarder friend needs to get her first runs of the season in, so it'll be the board at least until she calls it tomorrow. Plans dependent on conditions will be Gunbarrel up - head across to Supertrail - down to Kosi - feed the younguns and load up on coffee - then see what Supertrail/Little Beauty/True Blue have to offer before finishing up on High Noon and trying to get some arvo carnage footage for Gareth.

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
laugh.gif

I'd be looking for any excuse to delay THAT!

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
gareth_oau said:
perhaps record it anyway?

I havent actually seen it in operation and probably wont be back til next year
It was holding up well today (so far)... Unlike Evil Way which was ridonkulous! You may as well have been wakeboarding at the end - in rough open ocean! And still people stop and run their skis sideways taking up 80% of the path...

Wouldve liked to have taken a pic/video, but just have my phone on me - it was survival - and making sure everyone in the party got down ok, so no safe place to stop and film quickly. Will be heading back up soon, so might get a pic of the HN run out later on.

There is a LOT of people on the hill at the moment. Consideration, understanding and politeness are required. Vast majority doing excellently, the odd entitled git about. Son was just done with his bindings and about to head to HN and collected by father showing his son to ski backwards. Cubs reaction was a ' r u serious, man' which was met with being HIT by the guy...his next exclamation was much less G rated. Honestly...if ya gonna ski backwards, let's not do it in a high traffic cat track. If ya gonna hit into someone, let's apologizing. And maybe use ya words, not your fists... Lucky the Mamabear was already on HN, coz ya hit (as in use your fists hit) my 16yo cub then you and I have a problem.

Dos

One of Us
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Visit site
Lady Mamabear said:
Ok give it my best shot.
Haven't used the video on my phone yet...nor uploaded it...will have a crack though.

Was too busy racing the kids down today - was dead keen to be leader of the pack
laugh.gif

The competitive nature - nah...doesn't come from me. Much.
LM how is your skiing? Intermediate yet? I've improved so much and can proudly announce that I'm a beginner and no longer a complete idiot
laugh.gif

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass