Diamond pattern chains at Hotham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spirax

Hard Yards
Oct 10, 2008
VIC, Australia
Yes I am self absorbed. I really feel for all those soccer mums out there who can afford to spend $60-100,000 on their 4wd to then not be able to bring it to Hotham. How will they ever continue on with their lives and it is comments like calling me self absorbed and trying to pretend that you are on a higher ground than everyone else on here is one of the things that undermines all you are trying to say, your life is clearly complicated with all these first world problems.

You have stated in your posts before (excuse my ignorance I am like ST and don't know how to quote) that you always follow due process and that this is why you hold others to such high standards and expect them to follow due process also. However you completely failed to reply properly to my comments. Well not completely you replied to the ones that suited you. I particually like how you completely left out the part where I asked what the RMB said when you contacted them? And of course it was far more convenient for you to just pretend (be it false or true) that the RMB don't have the reports. The funny thing is I actually agree with you. I do think it was a bit harsh and perhaps a knee jerk reaction to ban spider chains. However you do your side of the argument more harm than good by trying to sensationalise these first world problems into something that they are not. Your response to my questions was very similar to that of the RMB banning it spider chains. They gave it the thought and consideration they thought it deserved as you did in replying to my questions. You didn't think anything else was needed in your response as the RMB didn't feel anyhting else was needed in their response.

So I ask again have you even contacted the RMB to find out if they did follow due process (perhaps they didn't see fit to make the reports available on the internet) or are you just an hipocritic armchair critic who throws accusations around on the internet? How can you be so certain that the RMB did not conduct the proper investigation?

As I said I agree with Astro my whole point is that anyone can sit here and contradict his or her self as Astro has. That isn't going to change anything. You can argue until you are blue in the face, it is all pointless. Get out there and do something about it if you don't like it, put in a phone call or write a letter. I am not trying to sensor anyone just trying to get people to keep an open mind. This country of ours has enough arm chair critics and not enough people willing to take action.

Barras

Addicted
Aug 15, 2011
Spirax said:
I asked what the RMB said when you contacted them?

The first time i contacted them regarding this i was told that spider chains are not allowed,
. said:
"You wouldn’t believe how many were handed in to our office"
the second time i asked how many were handed in? the reply was
. said:
"there were no diamond pattern chains handed in last season."
the third time they didn't reply to my email.
. said:
"I have forwarded your email on so your questions can be answered in depth."
still waiting for a reply from the 10th of May

According to the the RMB statement Spider chains meet all requirements

. said:
"An authorised type of diamond pattern wheel (snow) chain is one which is:-

a) The correct size for the tyres fitted to the vehicle
b) Suitable for the wheels, tyres and the weight and construction of the vehicle
c) Constructed of hard high alloy steel
d) Of a pattern and design where some part of the chain will be in contact with the road surface at all times when properly fitted.
e) Suitable for a road of varying gradients and sharp corners
f) Not modified or altered from the original commercially manufactured wheel chain."

Last edited by a moderator:

crackson

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 20, 2006
This data provided by Vicroads, shows the number of "vehicles with and without snow chains - lost control and required assistance to be recovered" at Mount Hotham in 2008

MvncuhQ.jpg

crackson

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 20, 2006

I'll assume that pointless chart is pointless in this thread.

400 incidents and they didn't bother to differentiate between chains/no chains.

Stupid statistician is stupid.

Astro66

Still looking for a park in Thredbo
Ski Pass
Jul 27, 2009
Eastern Subs Syd
@Spirax. Think I'll just keep debating here. Even if all I achieve are lulz.
laugh.gif

Would love to see Hotham rescind their decision. But with posters like yourself. Ain't going anywhere in a hurry.
biggrin.gif

@Thread. I wouldn't put it as harshly as Crackson. But I agree with above posts. It seems there has been a misunderstanding of data and technology, by the Hotham RMB.

AstroSki66 said:
The chain on one side of the car would come out from under the tyre.

CORRECT and this is why spider snow chain should only ever be fitted to a winter tyre as they would be when used in Europe

To explain, the "spider chain" will grip to the snow/ice but the tyre can slip or spin inside the spider chain as there is NO way the chain can be "tightened" on to the tyre once the chain has been fitted.

The chain is always "loose" by design to provide the automatic-drive away fitting and easy removal feature.
The problem is compounded by the camber of the road, the weight and torque of the vehicle and the amount of tread on the tyre that is not covered by the chain.
The problem is worse when the vehicle has been parked over night, or longer, at the resort because of the low ambient temperature makes the tyres harder and therefore has even less grip to the chain.

trappers

Safety not guaranteed
Ski Pass
Jul 28, 1999
An airport
www.owithalinethroughit.com
Thread closed. It has degenerated into a circular argument, going nowhere and personal attacks against industry members from oh so brave anonymous internet critics will NOT be tolerated here.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass