Diana lodge - getting to the ski school

raspberry

Hard Yards
Jul 8, 2015
Melbourne
Hi all, I was looking at the accommodation at FC next August (2 adults + 2 kids), and by the look of it, there are only a couple of options available, one of which is Diana Lodge. My concern is that it will be tricky getting from there to the ski school, especially for our youngest who is a total beginner.

Previously we've stayed at Attunga (really liked it, seems booked out for August) and Summit Ridge (it's nice and the owners are lovely but the Mezzanine wasn't quite comfortable for 4 people). Getting to the ski school was fine from Summit Ridge and OK from Attunga.

A somewhat rhetorical question - is everything else really booked out already or is it possible that some owners haven't opened all the bookings yet?

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Are you sure they are booked out? It could be that they have not listed all their rooms on booking sites. I'd call attunga rather than believe a booking site.

You should also call Falls Creek Central Reservations and see what vacancies they are aware of.

Did you use the shuttle to get from Summit Ridge to Halleys Comet or slide down the road? If you can all slide down then you should be able to get to the main rd from dianna and get the road shuttle to Halleys.

Other lodges that come to mind that are no harder than attunga to get to ski school include Pretty Valley and Nelse. PV has an excellent reputation for families. There lots of apartments close to the shuttle route too.

raspberry

Hard Yards
Jul 8, 2015
Melbourne
Thanks a lot @currawong. We just walked/slid from Summit Ridge to Halley's Comet, it would take a while with the little one but was all downhill so was OK. Back on a shuttle. I don't know the area where Diana is, I thought you'd have to go uphill from there to get to Halley's Comet. It's good if you can get to the shuttle.

I'll be calling all these places you've mentioned, and the Central Reservations too, thanks for the tips!

Reactions: currawong

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Thanks a lot @currawong. We just walked/slid from Summit Ridge to Halley's Comet, it would take a while with the little one but was all downhill so was OK. Back on a shuttle. I don't know the area where Diana is, I thought you'd have to go uphill from there to get to Halley's Comet. It's good if you can get to the shuttle.

I'll be calling all these places you've mentioned, and the Central Reservations too, thanks for the tips!
You can slide down the lane between dianna and the country club to get to base of gully chair, and the bustop for the road shuttle. There is also the option of getting gully and eagle chairs and then skiing across the top to ski school. Probably not with a complete beginner, but good once there is some confidence and ability to let the skis run.

Reactions: Sadie and raspberry

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
perhaps I should also have said that you can walk down to oversnow from dianna and then down to the bus stop at gully.

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
IMO Diana is not a great place for a beginner. As currawong advises above, access to Falls Express entails a walk downhill to shuttle bus stop, then bus to Plaza area, then up steps to queue. The alternative is Gully chair to Eagle, then a traverse or a little ski, using Monkey Bar to get to Cloud 9 area. Somewhere closer to Plaza base area could be easier. Check Alpine Apartments website.

emkae

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 6, 1998
Melbourne
Check out apartments closer to Falls Express, like Les Chalets

However, going by where you have stayed previously, you might be looking for something more than self catering apartment style

Perhaps Pretty Valley Lodge ? Easy access to Falls Express

raspberry

Hard Yards
Jul 8, 2015
Melbourne
IMO Diana is not a great place for a beginner. As currawong advises above, access to Falls Express entails a walk downhill to shuttle bus stop, then bus to Plaza area, then up steps to queue. The alternative is Gully chair to Eagle, then a traverse or a little ski, using Monkey Bar to get to Cloud 9 area. Somewhere closer to Plaza base area could be easier. Check Alpine Apartments website.
Thanks chriscross. I see the problem with apartments is that 1) there's no breakfast included; 2) there's no drying room; 3) they are usually quite a bit more expensive than lodges :(

I may be wrong? I can live without breakfasts, but I think a drying room is a must (a tumble dryer is not quite the same I think). Do apartment buildings have drying rooms?

emkae

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 6, 1998
Melbourne
Thanks chriscross. I see the problem with apartments is that 1) there's no breakfast included; 2) there's no drying room; 3) they are usually quite a bit more expensive than lodges :(

I may be wrong? I can live without breakfasts, but I think a drying room is a must (a tumble dryer is not quite the same I think). Do apartment buildings have drying rooms?

We have stayed in a number of the Les Chalets apartments and each one had a "drying room" - it varies from apartment to apartment, but did the job for our family

I actually found staying in apartments to be lower cost, due to the self catering. Just depends on what you want from a ski holiday. You can always go out to any of the restaurants at Falls for whichever meal you choose...

Reactions: raspberry
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

raspberry

Hard Yards
Jul 8, 2015
Melbourne
Check out apartments closer to Falls Express, like Les Chalets

However, going by where you have stayed previously, you might be looking for something more than self catering apartment style

Perhaps Pretty Valley Lodge ? Easy access to Falls Express
Thanks emkae, you're right, we would prefer a lodge. Pretty Valley seems booked out and min stay is 5 days, which is not what we can do next year (looking at 3 nights). I might still give them a call but I believe they are very popular and will easily find guests for any conditions they may prefer.

skimax

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2000
Melbourne Australia
Halleys lodge might be a go , basic, but great location to where you need to be and more likely to find a 3 day option there than others ..

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass