1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Did you only start visiting resorts 20+ days since the cheap annual passes came into existence?

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by Billy_Buttons, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Billy_Buttons

Billy_Buttons Que Sera, Sera Ski Pass: Gold

...and did the resorts pre-Covid 19 actually lose it with how many cheap annual passes they have sold over recent years, without considering parking constraints etc. Sure...it's great for all businesses in the region. Do you think they should (into the future) limit ticket sales for the better enjoyment for everybody? Thoughts...

2. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

3. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

LOL

Sage Oya likes this.
  4. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I first did 20+ in 1984 although my first season pass might not have been till 1985.
    I'll blame resort mgt for allowing developers to remove car parking before complaining about the lift co selling too many passes.

BTW The consistently worst queues of my skiing history were at buller in the 70s before the big upgrade that replaced quite a few drag lifts with chairs. An hour stuck at the bottom of tyrol or howqua/kofflers was not unusual. 20 mins was a good queue.

5. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah I did more 20 day plus seasons prior to the discounted passes. That’s just because I was late twenties to early thirties then, more freewheeling, and thought little of back to back to back weekend trips from SYDNEY. I remember one year I did 11 consecutive weekends, plus a week. Plus a few late season weekends too. I was exhausted at season’s end.

Nowadays I’m much more likely to do 1 or 2 weeks of 7 or 9 days skiing, plus 2 to 4 weekends. So somewhere between 15 and 20 days, typically.

I’ll also usually do 12-18 days overseas in January.

Sage Oya, Chaeron and currawong like this.
  6. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

First SP was 1993, had one every year since apart from the years I worked and was issued one. Most years did approx 30 days.

currawong and Annabuzzy like this.
  7. Laska Goralska

Laska Goralska One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I started getting season passes in 2015 after a break from skiing induced by having to pay for things myself rather than having parents cover the costs.

I'd still be skiing without cheap season passes, but there's no way I'd clocking 20+ resort days per season if each day trip cost me $160 for a lift ticket. No chance.

skull likes this.
  8. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

The only cheap season passes I have had where supplied as part of employment.

The modern $800 pass is good value but very restrictive in that it only provides access to a single resort in NSW. It is this restriction on top of increased population on nil resort expansion that creates the crowding.

First season pass was 1981, big break in the 90s, then fairly consistent since then.

I am a big fan of four or five day any day products because they dont lock you into a single resort but those passes are getting rare these days.

nfip likes this.
  9. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I thought $1500 odd for the year Thredbo was cheap, for what I got out of it. I do think numbers increased very noticeably after the cheaper price came in. But I also remember that first year. Perisher comes out with it, Im thinking, wow $600 should I? Nah, there will be less people now at Thredbo, and I was doing the Platinum for at the year. Then winner winner, Thredbo drop to match, and there were less people!

Myazma, zac150 and climberman like this.
  10. zac150

zac150 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

The short answer is no, our skiing increased with the pass from, we will buy it and get a few days on top of our annual season trip to nearly 30 days.

That said how many people do you honestly believe get over 20 days on the pass? I’d say under 20%

Annago likes this.
  11. Sage Oya

Sage Oya Like the herb, lover of Pabst, cup ramen devotee Ski Pass: Gold

Not many, but those who do get it season after season :thumbs:

skull and zac150 like this.
  12. nezumi

nezumi One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

To the original question - yes and no.

I've never bought a season pass of any kind before as it just wasn't viable for me.

Now that I have "bought" and Epic Aus Pass, it looks like I won't get to use it anyway.

13. Cam Slee

Cam Slee One of Us

I used to get them at Falls Creek and Mt Hotham for nothing for 16 years cos I worked up there.
    Been getting the Epic pass since.
    Thinking about getting a refund this year though.

14. Billy_Buttons

There are a lot of weekend warriors (always have been) that also ski a solid 2 weeks as well.

dawooduck and cornice11 like this.
  15. zac150

zac150 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

true, I don’t debate this but I also see them as the minority. I think we both probably see a lot of them in the groups we ski in / with so it’s probably easy to assume lots of people ski the 20 plus days but In reality I don’t think there is that many.

I vaguely remember reading Thredbo has some 450,000 skier days, so that’s probably 50,000 individual skiers + . To do 20 plus days skiing you need accommodation etc to make it work and I’m not sure there is enough accommodation in the area.

that’s why is say probably sub 10% of skiers hit those days.

16. Ozgirl

Ozgirl Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

when did you get your apartment?

I only got season passes when i had a staff pass. I would have gladly paid $1500 when my parents moved down. but didn't have the money for accom prior to that. I was stocked when the cheap season passes came out. but i would have been paying full price now anyway.

17. Ozgirl

thinking about it? do you have a choice?

ie if you don't get a refund you just get a credit for next season. either way your not getting a pass this year. whether you ski or not this season is whole other story!

dawooduck likes this.
  18. rowdyflat

rowdyflat One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

No i have always skied heaps and now mainly just pick either the good snow or the good weather.
    Never really bought annual passes.
    I dont like being tied to one place and do plenty of backcountry.
    If I had to ski the same icy downhill place over and over, I would go mental .

dawooduck likes this.
  19. nfip

nfip Cold n' Rusty Ski Pass: Gold

Yes.
    Only ever did a week.
    then 3 or 4 weekends either side of that.
    as a kid it would be day trips only from Cbr each week or two....

zac150 likes this.
  20. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

3 years ago.

Stayed at a small family lodge all those other years, apart from the ones where I was working, and I managed a lodge for 5 of the years I worked up there. Not coincidentally our apartment is across the road from the old family lodge.

Ozgirl likes this.
  21. Normo

Normo Mostly Harmless Ski Pass: Gold

Summer: Berowra Waters. Winter: Jindabyne
    First Season Pass for me was 2004. Had SP's for both Thredbo and Perisher for a couple of years but found I was spending 80% of my days at Perisher. I haven't done Thredbo for a decade.
    The Freedom/Epic passes (and now "Senior") have improved the value enormously. If I have to have a season of day passes, well, I'm still a long way in front.
    :)

zac150, dawooduck, JG and 1 other person like this.
  22. Ozgirl

thanks for sharing!

dawooduck and CarveMan like this.
  23. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

No. I can't remember. In the eighties mid to late 80's was the first. Had a few in several countries since, then went on and off for a few seasons depending on how much I thought I was going to ski at home re Thredbo pass.

Good luck with getting them to limit ticket sales. Some resorts in some countries but never in Australia. It wouldn't matter if the lift line was 2klm long and the wait time was 4 hours, they'd still be going hard to sell more tickets.

dawooduck and Annabuzzy like this.
  24. Billy_Buttons

Yeah, just got to love the traffic queue's starting at Hilltop on weekends.

dawooduck likes this.
  25. heathy

heathy Hard Yards

Been skiing since 1965 both here and overseas (since 1990) 2090 days over 55 seasons-have had a season pass for Perisher since 2006 (688 days-av 49 days per season). This season have a 70+ SP for Thredbo and hoped to get the same for Perisher but it never became available on the website as details on the faq on the epic pass said it would be pre 2020 season-have been assured by Perisher that we will be looked after-hope so!

26. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Welcome to my January.
    Low tide year in Niseko, and coaching/exams for the level 1 - so Ace Family on repeat LOL
    I fastidiously avoided that little piece of chaos prior to that. Now it’s my “most skied” :p
    Still didn’t implode.
    Learned to love the marble.

Ozgirl and dawooduck like this.
  27. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

I started buying Season Passes when I realised I was spending more than the SP price on lift tickets. A couple of times it has gone close to whether it was financially better or not (better than day tix perhaps not better than multi days). But the convenience factor is excellent.

But my ability to get the value has only been there over the last say 5 years on and off. It had little to do with the discount passes and more to do with kids growing up and leaving home - meaning more leisure hours, and more disposable income. Break even point obviously is found quicker if it’s discounted however from this year on I expect I’ll get season passes both northern and Southern Hemisphere whether or not there is discounting.

Ozgirl and skull like this.
  28. skull

skull One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I think we got close to 40 days last season. It was the first time I took the school holidays off work.

Lost a couple of weekends due me needing to work or bad weather but we were pretty consistent on going up.

29. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Around 30 days each year on Perisher passes since first arriving in Jindy in 2007. Last year only 19 at P, 2 at T but 16 in the northern hemisphere on Epic and MC.

This year, I chose not to buy a pass due to the increased crowding that had escalated over the past 5 years or so.

30. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah, last August turned me off, but September made me happy again.

31. cornice11

cornice11 One of Us

same here chicski.
    i only got on board season passes with the cheaper rates. before that was a week max per season so recognise that i am the crowd.