Did you only start visiting resorts 20+ days since the cheap annual passes came into existence?

Billy_Buttons

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Mar 25, 2011
...and did the resorts pre-Covid 19 actually lose it with how many cheap annual passes they have sold over recent years, without considering parking constraints etc. Sure...it's great for all businesses in the region. Do you think they should (into the future) limit ticket sales for the better enjoyment for everybody? Thoughts...

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
I first did 20+ in 1984 although my first season pass might not have been till 1985.
I'll blame resort mgt for allowing developers to remove car parking before complaining about the lift co selling too many passes.

BTW The consistently worst queues of my skiing history were at buller in the 70s before the big upgrade that replaced quite a few drag lifts with chairs. An hour stuck at the bottom of tyrol or howqua/kofflers was not unusual. 20 mins was a good queue.

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
Yeah I did more 20 day plus seasons prior to the discounted passes. That’s just because I was late twenties to early thirties then, more freewheeling, and thought little of back to back to back weekend trips from SYDNEY. I remember one year I did 11 consecutive weekends, plus a week. Plus a few late season weekends too. I was exhausted at season’s end.

Nowadays I’m much more likely to do 1 or 2 weeks of 7 or 9 days skiing, plus 2 to 4 weekends. So somewhere between 15 and 20 days, typically.

I’ll also usually do 12-18 days overseas in January.

Laska Goralska

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2018
Here, or skiing
I started getting season passes in 2015 after a break from skiing induced by having to pay for things myself rather than having parents cover the costs.

I'd still be skiing without cheap season passes, but there's no way I'd clocking 20+ resort days per season if each day trip cost me $160 for a lift ticket. No chance.

Reactions: skull

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
The only cheap season passes I have had where supplied as part of employment.

The modern $800 pass is good value but very restrictive in that it only provides access to a single resort in NSW. It is this restriction on top of increased population on nil resort expansion that creates the crowding.

First season pass was 1981, big break in the 90s, then fairly consistent since then.

I am a big fan of four or five day any day products because they dont lock you into a single resort but those passes are getting rare these days.

Reactions: nfip

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
I thought $1500 odd for the year Thredbo was cheap, for what I got out of it. I do think numbers increased very noticeably after the cheaper price came in. But I also remember that first year. Perisher comes out with it, Im thinking, wow $600 should I? Nah, there will be less people now at Thredbo, and I was doing the Platinum for at the year. Then winner winner, Thredbo drop to match, and there were less people!

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
The short answer is no, our skiing increased with the pass from, we will buy it and get a few days on top of our annual season trip to nearly 30 days.

That said how many people do you honestly believe get over 20 days on the pass? I’d say under 20%

Reactions: Goanna

Sage O

Like the herb, cup ramen devotee
Ski Pass
Sep 8, 2017
Origami Hutte/Newy
The short answer is no, our skiing increased with the pass from we will but it and get a few days on top of our annual season trip to nearly 30 days.

That said how many people do you honestly believe get over 20 days on the pass? I’d say under 20%

Not many, but those who do get it season after season :thumbs:

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
To the original question - yes and no.

I've never bought a season pass of any kind before as it just wasn't viable for me.

Now that I have "bought" and Epic Aus Pass, it looks like I won't get to use it anyway.

Cam Slee

One of Us
Mar 17, 2020
Tawonga South
I used to get them at Falls Creek and Mt Hotham for nothing for 16 years cos I worked up there.
Been getting the Epic pass since.
Thinking about getting a refund this year though.

Billy_Buttons

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Mar 25, 2011
The short answer is no, our skiing increased with the pass from, we will buy it and get a few days on top of our annual season trip to nearly 30 days.

There are a lot of weekend warriors (always have been) that also ski a solid 2 weeks as well.

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
There are a lot of weekend warriors (always have been) that also ski a solid 2 weeks as well.

true, I don’t debate this but I also see them as the minority. I think we both probably see a lot of them in the groups we ski in / with so it’s probably easy to assume lots of people ski the 20 plus days but In reality I don’t think there is that many.

I vaguely remember reading Thredbo has some 450,000 skier days, so that’s probably 50,000 individual skiers + . To do 20 plus days skiing you need accommodation etc to make it work and I’m not sure there is enough accommodation in the area.

that’s why is say probably sub 10% of skiers hit those days.

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
First SP was 1993, had one every year since apart from the years I worked and was issued one. Most years did approx 30 days.
when did you get your apartment?

I only got season passes when i had a staff pass. I would have gladly paid $1500 when my parents moved down. but didn't have the money for accom prior to that. I was stocked when the cheap season passes came out. but i would have been paying full price now anyway.

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
Thinking about getting a refund this year though.

thinking about it? do you have a choice?

ie if you don't get a refund you just get a credit for next season. either way your not getting a pass this year. whether you ski or not this season is whole other story!

Reactions: dawooduck

rowdyflat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2003
Yackandandah NE Victoria
No i have always skied heaps and now mainly just pick either the good snow or the good weather.
Never really bought annual passes.
I dont like being tied to one place and do plenty of backcountry.
If I had to ski the same icy downhill place over and over, I would go mental .

Reactions: dawooduck

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
Yes.
Only ever did a week.
then 3 or 4 weekends either side of that.
as a kid it would be day trips only from Cbr each week or two....

Reactions: Telezacski

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
when did you get your apartment?

I only got season passes when i had a staff pass. I would have gladly paid $1500 when my parents moved down. but didn't have the money for accom prior to that. I was stocked when the cheap season passes came out. but i would have been paying full price now anyway.
3 years ago.

Stayed at a small family lodge all those other years, apart from the ones where I was working, and I managed a lodge for 5 of the years I worked up there. Not coincidentally our apartment is across the road from the old family lodge.

Reactions: Ozgirl

Normo

Mostly Harmless
Ski Pass
Sep 21, 2011
Summer: Berowra Waters. Winter: Jindabyne
First Season Pass for me was 2004. Had SP's for both Thredbo and Perisher for a couple of years but found I was spending 80% of my days at Perisher. I haven't done Thredbo for a decade.
The Freedom/Epic passes (and now "Senior") have improved the value enormously. If I have to have a season of day passes, well, I'm still a long way in front.
:)

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
No. I can't remember. In the eighties mid to late 80's was the first. Had a few in several countries since, then went on and off for a few seasons depending on how much I thought I was going to ski at home re Thredbo pass.

Good luck with getting them to limit ticket sales. Some resorts in some countries but never in Australia. It wouldn't matter if the lift line was 2klm long and the wait time was 4 hours, they'd still be going hard to sell more tickets.

heathy

Hard Yards
May 21, 2012
Adelaide (HAHNDORF)
Been skiing since 1965 both here and overseas (since 1990) 2090 days over 55 seasons-have had a season pass for Perisher since 2006 (688 days-av 49 days per season). This season have a 70+ SP for Thredbo and hoped to get the same for Perisher but it never became available on the website as details on the faq on the epic pass said it would be pre 2020 season-have been assured by Perisher that we will be looked after-hope so!

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
If I had to ski the same icy downhill place over and over, I would go mental .
Welcome to my January.
Low tide year in Niseko, and coaching/exams for the level 1 - so Ace Family on repeat LOL
I fastidiously avoided that little piece of chaos prior to that. Now it’s my “most skied” :p
Still didn’t implode.
Learned to love the marble.

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
I started buying Season Passes when I realised I was spending more than the SP price on lift tickets. A couple of times it has gone close to whether it was financially better or not (better than day tix perhaps not better than multi days). But the convenience factor is excellent.

But my ability to get the value has only been there over the last say 5 years on and off. It had little to do with the discount passes and more to do with kids growing up and leaving home - meaning more leisure hours, and more disposable income. Break even point obviously is found quicker if it’s discounted however from this year on I expect I’ll get season passes both northern and Southern Hemisphere whether or not there is discounting.

Reactions: Ozgirl and skull

Skichic2

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 22, 2017
Around 30 days each year on Perisher passes since first arriving in Jindy in 2007. Last year only 19 at P, 2 at T but 16 in the northern hemisphere on Epic and MC.

This year, I chose not to buy a pass due to the increased crowding that had escalated over the past 5 years or so.

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Yeah, last August turned me off, but September made me happy again.

cornice11

One of Us
Jun 16, 2018
same here chicski.
i only got on board season passes with the cheaper rates. before that was a week max per season so recognise that i am the crowd.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass