1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Didn't do this last season but thinking of skiing on the same day that I leave Sydney at dawn...

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by Pete Holden, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Pete Holden

Pete Holden Addicted

... and arrive around 9-10 at Perisher, ski til around 3-5 PM (body permitting), then check in on my first night at hotel and skip apres as I imagine I would be wrecked.

Is this too much? Am I setting myself up for injury? Anybody else do this?

I'm 40 years old and of moderate fitness and been doing bumps for boomer type exercises/calisthenics/plyometrics twice a week for fitness in the past month or two.

Also does anybody ski on the same day they're driving back to Sydney?

I didn't do these last season as it was my first time skiing and gave myself a rest day before my first day of skiing and didn't ski on the day I was driving back to Sydney. Being a beginner my body was well fatigued anyway to be doing those but now I'm thinking I should be able to do so and maximize my Epic Pass and accommodation expenses. Just curious what your routines are regarding this especially peeps who drive from Sydney.

2. cold wombat

cold wombat Twitter Contributer Moderator

Doable, but a long day.

FWIW, I have (only once) done a Perisher day trip from the lower Blue Mountains. Left about 3am, skied till last lifts then left the mountain about 6pm. No traffic. Got home around midnight. Shattered. Not something I'd recommend. Too old to try something like that again anyway, nevermind that I no longer live over that side of the country.

skiflat, Spence and Snowy Joey like this.
  3. Doonks

Doonks Let's cook! Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Have you driven from Sydney to Perisher before?
    What time is dawn for you?

coolair likes this.
  4. Normo

Normo Mostly Harmless Ski Pass: Gold

Summer: Berowra Waters. Winter: Jindabyne
    I drive from Sydney in May. Ski from June til October long weekend. Drive back to Sydney mid October.
    I find this is the best way to manage the trip/s.
    :)

5. Pete Holden

Pete Holden Addicted

That's crazy. How old were you when you did this?

My plan is to drive Friday and go back Monday. So it's a difference of getting 4 ski days vs 2 (if I rest on Friday and Monday).

6. Pete Holden

Pete Holden Addicted

Yep have driven before, but not at dawn. I believe we left at lunch time.

I'm thinking I should be able to leave at 4 in the morning on a Friday this year.

Schwarzer Mann likes this.
  7. Normo

Normo Mostly Harmless Ski Pass: Gold

Summer: Berowra Waters. Winter: Jindabyne
    Skippy says "tcht, tcht, tcht"!
    :eek:

8. Doonks

OK, well 4am is well before dawn during the season. If you are actually in "Sydney", and you left right now, Google Maps tells you it's a 5h16m drive non stop.

So a 4am getaway could potentially put you at Perisher car park at 9:15am. Add stops etc and it's 10am at the earliest that you'll be on snow. Leave at dawn and it'll be 1pm before you're on snow.

Where in Sydney are you located?

9. Pete Holden

Pete Holden Addicted

Near Parramatta. I will probably park at Bullocks and take the tube. I imagine l won't get a parking spot if I arrive around 10. This would be around late July early August.

10. Val Desire

Val Desire Addicted

My brother does 3 a.m start from Sydney and skis same day, but shares driving.
    My plan of action is o/night Canberra or Queanbyan, start off at 5'ish and Ski day of arrival.

Pete Holden and cold wombat like this.
  11. cold wombat

I was young and stupid. Early forties. You need to keep in mind that driving in the dark can be more draining for some people, particularly if you don't know the road well or don't normally enjoy country driving. You also need to be more alert than usual as you get towards dawn on country roads.

Expect to wind up mid afternoon then if you still have stamina, the extra hour or two is a bonus. If you start with the expectation you will be able to go hard all day then you might start to miss fatigue signals and end up with an injury for your troubles.

12. Doonks

So, much the same then. I lived at Penrith and skied both Perisher and Thredbo for over 10yrs. We would always leave at 3am in order to ski first day. You'll be toasted for sure, but it's doable. Not really feasible leaving at dawn though

13. cold wombat

Have you checked tube arrangements this season? Not normal. Not up with the latest because I'm not there this season. Tube access conditions may have changed by then anyway.

14. Pete Holden

Pete Holden Addicted

Well this sounds more sensible. Why didn't I think of this?

Basically leave Thursday late afternoon or evening, check in at Canberra, leave the next day on Friday at 6-7 AM with plenty of rest and arrive 2-3 hrs later at Perisher.

Stan90, teleroo, dr80 and 4 others like this.
  15. Pete Holden

Pete Holden Addicted

Still planning my schedule and accommodation. Hopefully the tube situation would have gone back to normal 2-3 weeks from now. At least I don't have to worry about reserving for Epic Pass then right? Or will that still be up for changes by then?

16. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

I knew three guys who, years go, did a day trip to Thredbo from Melbourne!!!!!
    They left at 1am, shared the driving, and arrived for an 8:30am start. They left at 4:00pm , and arrived back in Melbourne about 11pm.

A day trip from Melbourne to Buller is very doable (probably done that 7 or 8 times or more)

Spence and cold wombat like this.
  17. Doonks

Because
    But you need to always add a bit more time. What if the weather is shit, what if you have to fit chains? Count on 3 hrs from Canberra, then add a little bit more to gear up and walk across the car park and bridge etc.

cold wombat likes this.
  18. cold wombat

Ramp up your fitness from now. But try not to injure yourself before your trip.

:)

19. Pete Holden

Pete Holden Addicted

Will most likely park at Bullocks and take the tube, so won't have to worry about snow chains.

Doonks likes this.
  20. cold wombat

Anything can happen this season. It's still possible the whole show could go belly up. It's all a bonus given there were serious doubts not so long ago we'd have any sort of season at all.

Spence likes this.
  21. Pete Holden

Pete Holden Addicted

Yeah I felt niggling pains on my knee last year that seemed to have gone away once I was on the snow. Maybe it's the adrenaline that overcame it.

cold wombat likes this.
  22. Pete Holden

Pete Holden Addicted

Folks, how about on your last day? Do you ski the day after checking out of your hotel then drive back in the afternoon or at night?

23. Doonks

We did. Drove away at 3:30pm

24. Val Desire

Val Desire Addicted

Always do this.
    3 days skiing for price if 2 nights accom on snow.
    This year 1. Gotta score the 3 days reservations for skiing after Vail' s bombshell announcement today 2. Get Ski tube tkts 3. Hotel not providing luggage minding or change facilities, so will have to think creatively if 1&2 come off in order to ski on the Sunday, but that's 2020!

Jonathan_P likes this.
  25. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

If you do it, chill. Don't tell yourself that you will be skiing by 11 and drive accordingly. Treat the possibility of the extra skiing as a bonus. All kinds of things can happen. Fog from Canberra to Cooma is very common, for example.

Skiing for a morning on your last day is very doable. Leave at 1-00 pm and be back at 7. Thredbo used to do a thing called Cruise Club on Sunday morning. You had an instructor so lift line privileges. You skied like a bat out of hell for 2 or 3 hours. No time was wasted doing actual teaching. Anyone who fell off was left behind. It was a great way to finish.

Overnighting in Canberra or Cooma is the way to go. When the friends I used to crash with in Canberra moved to Sydney (bastards) I used to stay at the motel at Eaglehawk Hill. It is north of the Majura Rd turnoff so you can actually avoid Canberra.

26. skull

skull One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I did a day trip from Sydney about 20 years ago. I was pretty wrecked by the time I got back.

Day trips from the ACT are a lot more manageable.

cold wombat and LMB like this.
  27. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

I’ve only gone up [down geographically but I always say up because I’m going UP the mountain lol] from Sydney a handful of times, being from Perth I usually fly into Canberra and hire a car at the airport. The one flight usually arrives about 10pm. I’ve been known to make a dash to Cooma many a time so we are in striking distance the next morning but the reality is that we are STUFFED from the flight then drive to Cooma, time difference and we are better off stopping at the Vibe right at the airport getting a great nights sleep and doing the Canberra to Skifields run bright and early next morning. I’d say drive Sydney to Canberra Thursday evening, get a great rest, then do the early morning run Canberra to Perisher in the morning on a decent rest.

I often drive back to the airport in my ski gear, getting changed in Jindy or Cooma when we stop for a pee break. Ski until 1 or 2pm dependent on weather then make a mad dash for the airport. Be much of the same driving to Sydney as driving to Canberra, flight, driving from airport home.

Val Desire likes this.
  28. SnowRabbit

SnowRabbit One of Us

I'm 68 and in the last 10 years have done numerous trips leaving Sydney around 3:00am, breakfast in Cooma and then ski all day. Usually with a passenger to talk to and keep me alert. Wouldn't drive back to Sydney the same day though.:eek:
    Have often skied a full last day and then driven back to Sydney but wouldn't recommend this if you've skied a full week as you'd be pretty tired by then.

John Black, Val Desire and Spence like this.
  29. Spence

Spence One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

As myself and my snow buddy both work on Saturday, we always drive down early Sunday morning. We leave Sydney Eastern Suburbs around 4am (big speeding fine last season for ‘more than 10km over’ on Maroubra Road. I thought the speed limit was 60, it was 50. No other traffic at that time of the morning to gauge limit by). If we have 6 day passes we can ski for ‘free’ after midday on the Sunday. As we can’t check into accommodation until after 15:00 we usually grab a quick bite in Jindy then straight to the ski tube. Change in the car park and get on the hill ASAP. I have leant to have my ski gear ready to go in the car. The first time doing this a couple of years ago was a nightmare. Sleeting/raining in the car park. Three of us going through bags trying to find all our bits. Dropping socks in puddles or putting your foot down in a puddle. Walking in ski boots from the back of the car park only to realise that you have left one glove on the roof of the car and having to go back and get it whilst your buddies tell you that they will meet you up top.
    Definitely much more organised with this now days.
    I would never ski on departure day. Combination of having to pack car, tidy digs and too much beer on the last night.
    Does anyone remember the billboard add around the Jindy area around 20 years ago, that had an actual front end of a wrecked car sticking out? The tag line read:
    Skied all weekend.
    Partied all night.
    Crashed on the way home.
    Brilliant copywriting. And that has always stayed with me.

cold wombat, Ozgirl and Val Desire like this.
  30. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Its a doddle. At that time of day <5hrs without speeding.

But then again - if you have to ask??????????

31. Sage Oya

Sage Oya Like the herb, lover of Pabst, cup ramen devotee Ski Pass: Gold

Yes, I do it every weekend. Its a long drive home :zzz:

Val Desire likes this.
  32. southpaw

southpaw One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Wow that’s the most descriptive thread title I’ve seen on the forums. No risk of confusing the topic!

Snow Blowey likes this.
  33. cold wombat

Yep, remember that well. Same impact.

Spence likes this.
  34. rowdyflat

rowdyflat One of Us Ski Pass: Gold Ski Pass: Silver

Yep that could happen.

Spence likes this.
  35. Snow Blowey

And it could happen if you sleep in jindabyne and then drive back the next day. The key is to recognise that you are at risk of falling asleep at the wheel and moderate your behaviour.

Sage Oya likes this.
  36. AJS

AJS One of Us

You can do it - I have done it plenty of times!

Dep Syd eastern subs at 4:30am, and I'm at Thredbo (or ski tube for Perisher) by 10am inc stops, on snow by 10:30am. Ski all day, quiet night. On the way home either ski all day and overnight it in Canberra to break up the drive (can get nice hotels for under $150 a night), or only ski until 12pm and drive the whole way, home by 6pm.

Val Desire and skull like this.
  37. Kopite

Kopite One of Us

I’ve done that no problem, also approaching 40. Leave here at 4am can be clipping into my skis by 10:30ish. Ski until my body suggests it needs a pint and a steak. Also usually ski to about 1:30 on the day I’m headed back with no issue other than maybe a bit of traffic around Canberra. Not a fan of driving back after last lifts due to the Roos and wombats on the road from Crackenback to Canberra.

listen to your body, it will tell you if it’s not happy being pushed.

dr80 likes this.
  38. Me+3

Me+3 Addicted

Try DECO Hotel in CBR. $130'ish /night and very, very nice.

39. Nidecker

Nidecker One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

These blokes are all soft. This is definitely doable! Have done it quite a few times.

Your two issues are, you are leaving a bit late from Syd, plan to arrive Perisher at 8am, it will make no diff to how you feel.

Secondly, You may have to contend with Fog around lake george / canberra. I have always found staying the same speed 115kphr and just driving between the white lines tends to keep you very focused in fog, which has the by product of keeping you awake.

Now as soon as the cold air hits you and you have your first run, you wont even remember the five hour drive you just had.

The major bonus is how well you sleep on Sat night!!!

40. Nightskywatcher

Nightskywatcher One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Some family friends leave midnight Friday, stop in to Jindayne for breakfast, in the perisher carpark before 8am. But they have 2 designate drivers , 1.5-2hr shifts.

Annabuzzy likes this.
  41. John Black

John Black Hard Yards

We often do it, but always at least two of us to share driving or at least discuss in fine detail the plan of attack when you get there and your planned route around the mountain to avoid the lift lines. Never works but certainly fills in time discussing the pro and cons of each run and the order you want to do them in. Always aim for first tracks but no drama if you get delayed. Much easier heading down there to ski/board than the trip back after a big couple of days. If heading back on the Sunday, best to register for first tracks then leave just after lunch and beat the traffic off the hill and through Cooma.

42. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

Given dawn is 7am getting there by 9-10am might be a struggle.

Leave at 4am is doable but please don't drive back again in the same day.

Annabuzzy, Spence and cold wombat like this.
  43. GlenH

GlenH One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Don't take risks. Fatigue is a big killer on country roads.

44. person s

person s Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I’ve done the early morning trip Sydney-Jindy many times
    generally don’t ski until lunchtime
    I gave up driving either direction at night after a micro-sleep episode

cold wombat and Spence like this.
  45. Nidecker

Nidecker One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

46. Snow Blowey

Lucky the road to the snow from sydney is dual lane highway for 2/3 of the distance and a blody good drive for all but about the last 10km into jindy. Country roads these are not.

LMB and Val Desire like this.
  47. mannyk

mannyk One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Last year we left Gold coast 3am arrived Canberra 5pm (3 drivers). Had a good sleep, organised some hire gear in Jindy for one of us and were skiing by 1pm Thredbo..We had 5 days. Didnt ski last day. Thredbo to Newy then home next day..
    I realise not the question, but an example of what some others are doing..

Val Desire likes this.
  48. Townsend

Townsend One of Us

Many people get caught out by thinking that. The road down to the tube is steep and there are usually a number of days each season when you need to fit chains to get there

LMB likes this.
  49. Spence

Spence One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I always find the worst part of the journey is the Canberra to Sydney leg. It’s just the most boring bit of road with nothing much to look at. That part of the drive always seems to drag.

Val Desire likes this.
  50. pegasusSki

pegasusSki One of Us

It's not your age - once past say 32 most people need more comfort.

I can do the hard yards, my body will still let me, I just might not appreciate it.

This forum is full of people with limited time making it happen !