1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Disabled Wintersports Australia

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by Peanut, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Peanut

Peanut One of Us

In light of the current world situation and Emirates cancelling our July flights to NZ, hubby and I are tentatively planning on spending a week on the snow here in Australia. Mstrs 9 and 11 both have an autism diagnosis, and Mstr 11 also has ADHD. Mstr 9 in particular doesn’t cope well in a group lesson scenario, so we would be looking to book private adaptive lessons for both boys.

Can anyone give me some info about how it all works? From what I can gather from reading various websites, DWA membership is required in order to access adaptive lessons. In the past when Mstr 9 has done adaptive lessons in NZ, I have tagged along as a helper. Being a teacher, I know well enough to let the instructor do what we’re paying them to do. I’m really just there in case Mstr 9 starts getting frustrated, because he can get violent during meltdowns and I don’t think that’s fair to leave an instructor to manage by themselves.

Is it worth calling or emailing DWA prior to signing up for membership? I’ve noticed that DWA members and their guides can get discounts on lift passes. Is this something that is done through the resort’s website, or do you need to call them? Also, can you book adaptive lessons through the website, or does that require a phone call?

2. Karicta

Karicta A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I have no idea, but I do suggest you include where you would like to go (mountain or at least state) IF a miracle happens and anything opens this winter...

LMB likes this.
  3. Cam Slee

Cam Slee One of Us

Speak to Hully, used to run it at Falls Creek.

Chaeron likes this.
  4. Peanut

Peanut One of Us

I think we’d be looking to go to Perisher. We’re in NSW.

Karicta likes this.
  5. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Hi Peanut,
    I was signing on to volunteer with DWA this season, however everyone has got the “it’s all on hold for coronavirus” email. I do believe you need to register and become a member to access the services - you also do to volunteer. I’d contact them, let them know where you are wanting to go, what lessons you’re after and a bit about your kids (age/special needs). If we get a season I’m sure they’ll try and pull some strings to find an instructor for your kids.

person s, nezumi and Peanut like this.
  6. luvthabumps

luvthabumps A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Back in MEL ( with annual trips to the 604 )
    I've been a DWA guide for some time now and we've been members for maybe 15 years. It's an amazing organisation. Our daughter, now nearly 21, has an intellectual disability and so this enabled us to access all sorts of great options for her. DWA membership gets you 1/2 priced lift tix (and for a carer as well) and great discounts on private lessons. I believe it's still 50% but I'm reluctant to state that as fact since we haven't done lessons with my daughter for a while now.

As LMB said, programs are on hold for the moment, but I imagine that if the season opens up in come capacity, DWA will be there.

Usually each resort has a DWA co-ordinator and you can liaise with the them for volunteers guides who can help out in adaptive lessons. In terms of accessing resort discounts, at Buller you can just walk up and present your membership card. I've done same at Falls and Perisher during Nats IS as well.

there's lots of opportunities now for school aged kids with disability to race during Interschools if that's your thing. I got the IS Multiclass race up and running in Vic years ago and NSW also adopted the program so now we have Nationals as well.

PM me if you want to discuss in more detail, even if it's not for this season

and thanks for the reminder - I need to renew our memberships!!

skichanger, LMB and Peanut like this.
  7. Peanut

Peanut One of Us

Thank you to everyone who has responded. It’s certainly given me more of an idea of what I need to do. I’m half expecting the season to not happen at all this year, but I want to have a plan in place if it does.

@luvthabumps, Mstr 11 changed schools last year, and his new school were sending out notifications in case anyone was interested in competing at Interschools. I asked him if he was interested, and his response was “I’m only interested in recreational snowsports, not competitive snowsports” in a very matter-of-fact tone. LOL Part of me hopes he changes his mind, but I don’t want to force him.

Chaeron likes this.
  8. iagreewithhim

iagreewithhim One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

You do need to book well ahead and make sure your visit doesn't coincide with an event of some kind. We took a blind friend to Thredbo a few years ago and tried to arrange some guided sessions for her through DWA, only to be told that due to some event (can't remember what), all we could have was one 1-hour session over the week.

Peanut likes this.
  9. Fergiewol

Fergiewol Hard Yards Ski Pass: Silver

My daughter is on the autism spectrum and the guys at Falls were amazing when she had a meltdown during a lesson during the overcrowded school holidays. I was able to get a membership on the spot to DWA for her and we got her into a private lesson with a 50% discount. It made such a difference. We now just get her the membership each year before we go.
    You sign up on the website and need to provide some proof of diagnosis.

Peanut likes this.
  10. skinavy

skinavy One of Us

On the competition side we invite the DWA atheletes to race alongside us at the Navy and ADF championships each year. We've also had ADF members train as guides and work alongside as officials up to Paralympic level.

Unfortunately due to COVID19, DWA won't be running any of their residential camps this year.

Unsure about the lessons side this year. Best to ask them. I've always found the DWA contacts to be really responsive to emails, so I would drop them a line through the website.

crackson and Peanut like this.
  11. person s

person s Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I’d definitely go through the DWA website first
    I haven’t heard from them since late March - I guess we’re all waiting to see what happens
    funny - we used to worry whether there would be enough snow

Peanut likes this.
  12. Peanut

Peanut One of Us

An instructor that can handle a meltdown is worth their weight in gold. We had a fantastic adaptive instructor in NZ last year who was calm, but firm with Mstr 9. He really gave everyone grief one day and skied off on us, unclipped his skis and ran into the base building. Hubby happened to be inside getting coffee, so he bought one for the instructor as well. By the time the coffee was consumed, everyone was much calmer and ready to continue with the lesson.

Fergiewol likes this.
  13. nezumi

nezumi One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I hope it was Mstr 9 who made the escape and not the instructor?

14. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

They are a great crew, Craig who runs the NSW out of Thredbo is a friend of mine, and I have a few friends who are members. Im not a member, though I donate, and occasionally guide a friend. They quite often have a family member along with them, so no problems there. I took a photo some years ago of a friend with CP in a sit ski, being piloted by another friend with CP, guiding another friend with CP. The 3CP's.

The regulars become good friends with instructors, and quite often free ski together too. Most of the volunteers are great also.

Id contact them to indicate interest, and keep in touch re what will happen, organising membership would be good.

Peanut and crackson like this.
  15. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

I still do some instructing at Perisher. There are plenty of great Adaptive instructors there, some of my favourite guests are on the spectrum and they get heaps out of DWA. I've heard that there will be no camps this year. The issue of adaptive lessons is a tricky one in a COVID world. Most adaptive lessons require that the instructor/guide and the guest do not practice social distancing so even if private lessons are allowed to run under future restrictions adaptive lessons may still not be possible depending on the guest.

Get in contact with DWA, they rely heavily on memberships so even if you can't use their services this year please join anyway to keep DWA going.

16. Peanut

Peanut One of Us

Yes, it was Mstr 9 making the escape. His instructor was a lovely Scottish lady who very firmly took none of his crap, but let him pull over to the side and play in the snow when he really needed a 10 min break.

nezumi likes this.