1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Do I have a chance at competitive skiing?

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by marko132, Dec 28, 2020.

Tags:
  1. marko132

marko132 First Runs

I just turned 14 and would love to compete in skiing. I ski every year for one week and I have never tried training skiing for real.

I live in Croatia so it's kind of a problem to ski. We have maybe 2 proper ski resorts (both with 5km of ski trails). I also live 170km away (2 hour drive) from nearest ski resort where I could train.

I uploaded also video of my skiing. I really don't know how good or bad my skill is, so I'm asking someone with more experience for help.

So, do I even have a chance at competitive skiing?

Thanks for all comments!

Btw, Merry Christmas to everyone celebrating!

Moderators Note: Video removed as not formatted correctly. Try hosting via YouTube

2. JM72

JM72 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Dobrodošli

marko132 likes this.
  3. marko132

marko132 First Runs

Hvala!:)

4. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

This is a largely Australian site, and we don't know much about Croatia.

At what level do you want to compete? Racers at the Olympics and World Cup will have been skiing and racing almost daily from a very early age. At 14 their talent would probably have been identified by national ski federations and they would be on a specific training and competition path.

There are many levels of racing below Olympics and World Cup. Some resorts have citizen race courses where anyone can compete against their friends and the clock. There may be local ski clubs that hold regular races. Next time you have a lesson ask your instructor about opportunities for racing, or just ask at the resort's ski schools.

Jonathan_P likes this.
  5. marko132

marko132 First Runs

I was having at mind like joining a ski club and maybe competing at a national level after some time, and see where will that lead me