Does ski patrol confiscate passes?

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by The_Heat, Jun 12, 2018.

1. The_Heat

The_Heat Hard Yards

Does ski patrol actually confiscate passes anymore? I am sick of guys going Mach 10 down front valley, and nothing being done about it. Has ski patrol lost their ability to confiscate passes. Maybe because these speedsters have Epic passes and they can’t take Epic passes! When was the last time anyone heard of Perisher ski patrol taking or cancelling someone’s pass? If they do confiscate passes, what does someone have to do to get it taken? No point having slow zones and signs if no one patrols and enforces it !!!

2. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us

The cams indicated ski patrol folk all over Perisher front valley over the weekend. I skiid about 70 days last year and you would always find them being very strict early at front valley but less so as they had to spread out through the resort. Front Valley can be a bit weird early in the season as good skiers have nowhere else to go hard, others are showing off, whilst there are plenty that believe their skills exceed their on-snow performance. Unless I have to, I avoid front valley for fear of being taken out, not so much by people going flat out but by beginners doing unimaginable things ie: unpredictable, therefore given a wide berth. It is not always their fault, as it can be unbelievably hard to master for some and outright scary for others.

3. Seafm

Seafm Too far from the snow
    Ski Pass - Gold

And I was one of them in 2013:eek:

Jacko4650 likes this.
  4. easty

easty Hard Yards

With the electronic ticketing systems passes are no longer physical confiscated. They are either cancelled or suspended for a period. Patrol take note of the ticket number then contact the ticket office and a hold can be put on the pass. Warnings can also be recorded in the ticket system. I am not sure if they a still doing this but a few years ago Perisher had a board at the bottom of the quad indicating how many skiers had been warned and how many passes had be cancelled.

#4 easty, Jun 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Jacko4650 likes this.
  5. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Hope Hotham are doing this on Slush Gully /Vill Loop this year. The degree of show offiness (esp cutting beginners off) reaches plague proportions some weekends.

...and fwiw: while I don't mind so much these (mostly) teen+ heroes having a go at me, I take offence when they do it in front of my much slower wife on teles and even my 9 year old son.

I dub these dudes, low life scum! /:-/)

Jacko4650 likes this.
  6. Ozgirl

Ozgirl A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

This

7. The_Heat

The_Heat Hard Yards

I saw packs of ski patrollers on a recent trip to a US resort. Anyone going over a certain speed was pulled up and warned by a patroller. These guys were guns, they would even chase down anyone not following their instruction to slow down. There was just so many of them. I wonder if the US resorts have a ratio or somekind of minimum ski patroller number, and if Perisher has the same ratio or number (or less).
    How do resorts work out how many patrollers they need on any given day?

8. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Be interesting to compare ticket strikes / warnings per capita in NthAm vs Oz. or injury rates.

Our runs are so crowded at peak times, our patrollers should probably be even tougher than in the U.S.

Often feels like it's all up to the friends of the offendee to remonstrate. Shouldn't be like that with patrollers around on a busy run.

9. robbo mcs

robbo mcs One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

They do give out warnings. Usually they are a friendly warning, but if people persist they do have the power to suspend passes. They also have power to pull a pass if there is a dangerous accident, bad behaviour etc.

However, mostly this is not done by ski patrol, but by the "yellow jackets", who are the safety officers. At the moment patrol are doing this, but normally in peak season they have dedicated safety officers.

The worst time I have seen was last year when interschools had the NSW races on front valley at 9am. That was an excuse for lots of racers to GS race turns and skills on FV for 30minutes before going to the event. It was a little crazy :eek:

W0nkey D0nkey likes this.
  10. Kopite

Kopite Hard Yards

It’s the nobs who cut up kids that get to me. I do my best to shield mine by skiing behind them and offering some protection from the bellends, but still get close calls. Dropping in on kids waiting for the skicross or the mini parks is another trick of what seem to be mostly snowboarders. Woe betide any of them that do collect either of my kids due to twattish behaviour, a cancelled pass may be the least of their worries.

cin and dainsufficientrightsduck like this.
  11. skull

skull One of Us

@Normo you have a hater.

skichanger likes this.
  12. Donzah

Donzah Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

You had me until *mostly snowboarders.
    Twattish behaviour doesn't discriminate

LMB, sara777, Hanz Onyawaif and 3 others like this.
  13. Kopite

Kopite Hard Yards

Very true. Twats can ride skis as easily as snowboarders. My few issues last year was snowboarders, late in the day in the parks flying through cutting up kids and taking no commo sense precautions. Probably tainted my views somewhat!

14. DbSki

DbSki Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

Problem with that is people skiing up behind you cant always see the child in front of you and as they turn ahead of you they suddenly encounter a child.

15. HSVGuy

HSVGuy Hard Yards

I like skiing fast but wouldn't in FV or any other beginner area. On blue and above slopes you can be reasonably confident of what people are going to do, but you just can't in beginner areas. You have to ski/board to the ability of those around you rather than just you own ability.

Marty_McSly and Jacko4650 like this.
  16. skichanger

skichanger A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

Um if you caannot see the child they are very close to the parent. Why are you turning that close in front of someone? Oh so you can claim you were the downhill skier when you take them out. Nice! :nono:

17. Arsas

Arsas Addicted

So does anybody actually know of a pass being cancelled? or is it just a threat that seems to keep most people in line?
    I heard last year about the snowboarder who wrote an article in an independent magazine last year that was bagging out perisher lifties, he had his pass cancelled. But apparently his pass was given to him as a sort of sponsorship deal.
    I have never actually heard definitely that a pass has been cancelled completely or for a certain number of days for dangerous skiing. Its the same as I have heard of pass cancellation for giving season passes to a friend to use but don't know definitely that it happens

18. Ozgirl

Ozgirl A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

Yes people's passes have been cancelled.

Mostly it is 3 strikes you are out - recorded electronically.

But some are straight out cancelled.

Arsas and skichanger like this.
  19. Gimped

Gimped Hard Yards

I beg to differ...

20. Doonks

Doonks Let's cook!
    Moderator Ski Pass - Gold

have you sent your questions and concerns to Perisher?

Ted Harper and Ozgirl like this.