Dolomites in summer

XTREMO

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2000
Berlin
We're doing a roadtrip in September to Lake Garda and will drive from there back to Berlin. Planning to tack on 1 night (maybe 2) in the Dolomites on the way home.

We're not going to be doing biking or hardcore hiking or anything like that. Likely just something fairly tame like catching a lift up to catch some spectacular views, walk around and have a nice meal or two on the mountain.

Any recommendations as to where we might want to consider staying for this night or two?

Sbooker

One of Us
Sep 28, 2015
Val Gardena is nice and it’s on the Western side of the Sella Ronda. When driving north on the A22 turn right just past Bolzano.
Envy.

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

but a dream within a dream
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaltown
We're doing a roadtrip in September to Lake Garda and will drive from there back to Berlin. Planning to tack on 1 night (maybe 2) in the Dolomites on the way home.

We're not going to be doing biking or hardcore hiking or anything like that. Likely just something fairly tame like catching a lift up to catch some spectacular views, walk around and have a nice meal or two on the mountain.

Any recommendations as to where we might want to consider staying for this night or two?
Rifugio Lagazuoi website

XTREMO

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2000
Berlin
Thanks you two. I've stayed in Val Gardena and ridden Lagazuoi. In winter.

Thought it might be nice to go somewhere different. Cortina? Corvara? Alta Badia?

That accom linked above Schnaxxy, looks great, but not available for our dates.

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

but a dream within a dream
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaltown
Thanks you two. I've stayed in Val Gardena and ridden Lagazuoi. In winter.

Thought it might be nice to go somewhere different. Cortina? Corvara? Alta Badia?

That accom linked above Schnaxxy, looks great, but not available for our dates.
I’ve driven through the Dolomites in summer but it was 45 years ago and precise details aren’t springing to mind
when I skied there slightly more recently, my group went along a road through a gorge which I think was the old highway and came out somewhere around Sottoguda[?]
some picturesque villages around there
the scenery is great everywhere

Reactions: XTREMO

piolet

Better make it three
Ski Pass
May 27, 2004
in the cupboard covered in dust

Doesn't have to be 'hardcore' hiking but well worth looking up a 'hut' you can access from a meandering walk from the top of a lift maybe? Alpine huts are generally closer to hotels and just jaw dropping experiences.
I don't know of anything in particular.

Have fun

Reactions: XTREMO

bluestick

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2005
northern rivers
The Refugio Rosetta is a short walk from the cable car top station and in a great location for views and easy short walks, ahh Italy.
D0D455CC-83C2-4AA0-9B98-CDA274D60D08.jpeg

Reactions: XTREMO and piolet

XTREMO

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2000
Berlin
Thinking of just staying in Ortisei. Makes for a slightly shorter homeward journey. 10+ hours is enough in the car for one day!

Reactions: Hyst
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

XTREMO

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2000
Berlin
Plans solidifying. Looks like we'll arrive around lunchtime and only have the one night stay in Ortisei. Therefore we'll just have that afternoon after arrival, to drive to anywhere in the Dolomites, catch a lift up, do some walking, see some views, have a meal

So for that one afternoon, to maximise the scenery and culinary experience, where should we drive to? Which lift should we catch? And where should we eat?

Reactions: piolet

Sbooker

One of Us
Sep 28, 2015
Park at Corvara and take the Piz Boe lift up to the restaurant at the top. The short Vallon lift above that restaurant offers spectacular views to the east (toward Cortina area).

Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra
The Crown jewel is Marmolada. Spectacular Cable car ride up Punta Roca. You can see the curve of the Alps all the way to France on a clear day. Summer ticket includes access to the Great War Museum.

Sbooker

One of Us
Sep 28, 2015
Sounds like a plan! Thanks man!
The Crown jewel is Marmolada. Spectacular Cable car ride up Punta Roca. You can see the curve of the Alps all the way to France on a clear day. Summer ticket includes access to the Great War Museum.
Yeah. Fantastic museum. Cable car ride is three stages from memory. We stayed in Arabba and did the Marmolada on skis. There are still WW1 artefacts scattered over the hills.
6428C43E-C3E5-4541-8D90-52C266BDA739.jpeg

Would take a bit of time from Ortesei I would think? But if time is no problem - go for it.

Reactions: Summit

DVP

Addicted
Aug 14, 2002
Sydney
Where in Lake Garda will you be? We stayed in Malcesine last year and took a day trip up to Andalo. Caught lifts to the top and went walking about, sheer cliffs on one side was really spectacular. Even better though was Lago Molveno down the road. Swimming in a crystal clear lake with 3000m+ Dolomites towering pretty much straight above me was something else. Even if it is just a day stop on your way to somewhere else it is definitely worth a stop.

If you want any tips for Lake Garda let me know, had a great 2 weeks there! The views of Garda and also north to the Dolomites from Mt Baldo were brilliant.

Edit: Just read through properly and saw you are headed to Ortisei. You could detour via Molveno for a day trip pretty easily. Get a bonus hike on the way!

XTREMO

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2000
Berlin
Just circling back to this now. We returned a few days ago. Was a great trip. Thanks to all for the suggestions. We drove from Berlin to Garmisch Partenkirchen and spent a day there. I was pleasantly surprised by Zugspitze and the stunning Eibsee lake that it looks down upon. Was expecting German mountains to be less impressive. Wifey loved the pretty little houses.

Some pics of Garmisch, Zugspitze and Eibsee below.

IMG_0908.jpg

612df635-5000-4689-8a4d-7f1129f3c6d1.JPG

IMG_0479.JPG

IMG_0614(1).JPG

IMG_0624.JPG

IMG_0641.JPG

Lake Garda was nice. We stayed in Padenghe (SW) and went to Isola del Garda, Sirmione, Gardone Rivera and a few other places in that SW region. Nice enough area and I see why so many Germans love it. Was good to check it out. We didn't realise that there are some pollution concerns and people don't put their heads under the water. It would have been nice to be able to swim properly. Next year, I'll acquiesce to wifey's insatiable desire for Sicily and we'll go back there yet again. The food, culture, architecture and overall vibe is just.....Sicily.

Dolomites on the last day were awesome. We drove from Garda through Ortisei to Corvara where we ate some panificio pizzas in the sun, walked a bit, and then drove back to Val Gardena, stopping at the top of the Passo Gardena for a couple of hours to hike up some of the runs that I snowboarded a couple of winters ago. Was quite cool to see them in summer with bikers careering down.

Some locals advised that we wouldn't gain that much by taking lifts up, considering we had a car anyway. They suggested just stopping on the Passo Gardena, which we did.

Some pics of Corvara and the hiked runs.

7bc6fda9-15b1-4070-a587-85c49cd36b25.jpg

IMG_2034.JPG

IMG_2084.JPG

Loved the 280hp rental car. Focus ST. So much fun.

IMG_0446.JPG

IMG_0444 3.JPG

And finally, some humour. Saw some signs for this while in Garmisch. I forgot to photo but these are from Google. Apparently the local parents are going in to bat for their kids and insisting that their children need w.nktunnels. Two of them. It was different back in my day for sure. We just played with cars and sandpits and Voltron figurines and stuff like that. I guess its kinda like the old "a PC in every classroom". A w.nktunnel for every child. Yellow balloons in solidarity for the cause.

wanktunnel.JPG

wanktunnel 2.JPG

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass