1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Domestic Flights Canada

Discussion in 'Flights' started by gaz35, Jul 3, 2019.

1. gaz35

gaz35 One of Us

Is it true that if you fly economy on a Canadian domestic flight (eg Vancouver Calgary) that all checked in baggage is a separate cost that you must pay at the airport?

2. Ozgirl

Ozgirl A Local Ski Pass: Gold

If you book with your international ticket your baggage is included.

skiflat and gaz35 like this.
  3. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

You can prepay when you book.

gaz35 likes this.
  4. tele keen

tele keen Hard Yards

If you are flying air Canada and book the cheap ticket you will have to pay for baggage, it's all pretty clear in the ticket terms when you book. You need a 'flex' ticket to include baggage from memory. Essentially, the cheapest ticket on either westjet or air canada you'll then need to add baggage for $35 a bag (from memory) and then pay $50 odd for it to be a ski bag. Unfortunately, domestic travel in Canada is a bit of a bugger - oh and no food is included on any air canada domestic flight, you'll have to pay.

gaz35 likes this.
  5. gaz35

gaz35 One of Us

and my agent is telling me you cannot pay in advance for your luggage (westjet) you have to use a card at the airport!

6. dnbreaksgal

dnbreaksgal First Runs

Careful when flying both Air Canada and Westjet as luggage internationally is included with AC but then your maximum allowance domestic in Westjet is usually limited so you could be caught out with too much luggage that won't be allowed. Check both .ca websites yourself to be certain.

7. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Book it yourself. I’m flying westjet, there were different options to select from, no luggage, luggage, luggage and seat selection etc.

gaz35 likes this.
  8. zac150

zac150 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Anyone have any experiences with the lax transfer to air canada?

We have a 3+ hour lay over at LAX but I’m not sure what it’s going to be like shifting from the Tom B terminal to terminal 6. Also figure we will need to check bags along the way.

9. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Are the flights on the same ticket?

10. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

3 hours is the absolute minimum you will need. we missed a connecting flight on the same ticket because our arrival into LAX was 30 minutes late

would be really nice if LA learned about transit lounges given the huge task it is to go through secutity and immigration for a connecting flight

11. absentskier

Can be done in 60 minutes but it all depends on the immigration queue. Three hours can be tight if things go badly (but normally it will be adequate).

Key is to get from the plane to immigration ASAP. No stopping to go to the toilet!

Even if on same ticket, will need to get your bags and then drop them at the transit counter after customs. Then Terminal 6 is an easy walk.

If flights are on different tickets, you’ll have the extra step of needing to check in.

12. zac150

No not on the same ticket, long storey but we grabbed some tickets on sale and added the internal flights later.

Does each terminal have checkin and customs etc?

So if I’m right we will move through customs and immigration in Tom b terminal, move to terminal 6 and then check in and go through immigration again.

13. Crystal

Crystal Sand skier extraordinaire Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

14. gaz35

gaz35 One of Us

Hi absentskier
    I have got a connection on the same ticket (Qantas to Air Canada). Is there a transit lounge in Tom Bradley that we can check our bags in with? Cheers

15. zac150

Cool I am glad we have time and I guess this will eat up the hours and make time pass faster ;)

I’m not phased, saved thousands so to loose a few hours in transit I can deal with that!

16. absentskier

You will go through immigration, collect your bags, then go through customs. You'll then exit the building and walk (landside) to T6 (less than 10 minutes), check in, go through security, then hopefully relax! Note that there is no separate immigration process when exiting the US like there is here. That is, once checked in, you go through security (which can takes ages, depending on the line), and then you're free to go to your gate.

Don't forget ESTA.

zac150 likes this.
  17. absentskier

Once through customs in TB, just before the passenger greeting area, you'll come to a bag drop belt for connecting flights. Your bags will be tagged through to your Canadian destination so you will be able to drop them off at this belt. You then have the choice of walking landside to T6, going through security there and proceeding to your gate (assuming you already have your boarding pass), or alternatively you can actually go back through security in TB and then walk airside in a tunnel system to T6. This takes a lot longer (excluding the security aspect).

I should note if you don't feel like walking, you can catch a shuttle from TB to T6.

gaz35 and zac150 like this.
  18. sly_karma

sly_karma Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Yes no need to go out to the street anymore after customs. There are tunnel connections to T6 and T5 from TBIT, probably better to re enter security there after dropping off checked bags and do the tunnel. For the @zac150 crew, you'll do the walk along the street before repeating the check in process. Hopefully you luck into a quiet period and it goes quickly. LAX finally spent some money and upgraded a lot of the terminal 5-7 years back, but it can still be a complete zoo if you happen to be there at the wrong time. Definitely a lot better than it was in the 00s though.

Chalkie, gaz35 and zac150 like this.
  19. absentskier

I actually prefer the street walk. Fresh air and faster. The unknown is the security line.

20. gaz35

gaz35 One of Us

thanks guys - appreciate the advice.

21. zac150

Same, appreciate the tips, as always made bookings things a bit easier.