Trip Report Donna Buang - Victoria

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
According to local FB group the queues of traffic through Warburton and up the DB road were a little nuts on both days. Might be time to close the road and install a cable car to the summit....will also be good for the mountain bike riders accessing the MB trails.

One of my favourite bike rides is up Don Rd and the back of Donna Buang. I've done this as a Queen's Birthday long weekend ride in the past - lots of fun. :D

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
Jumped the wall to Mexico
One of my favourite bike rides is up Don Rd and the back of Donna Buang. I've done this as a Queen's Birthday long weekend ride in the past - lots of fun. :D
I've seen a few mentions of this now and I am keen. Certainly won't attempt it from home, but maybe a car or train trip to a closer starting point

Reactions: Chaeron

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
I've seen a few mentions of this now and I am keen. Certainly won't attempt it from home, but maybe a car or train trip to a closer starting point

Depending on the legs, a great route (once the #Redwoods hype dissipates) is train to Lilydale, rail trail to Warburton, Don Rd, up the back of Donna, down the main rd, onto the Aqueduct trail eastbound to Cement Creek Rd, down Cement Creek Rd to the redwoods, back into Warburton and rail trail back to Lilydale.

https://www.komoot.com/tour/213658704?ref=wtd

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic
Depending on the legs, a great route (once the #Redwoods hype dissipates) is train to Lilydale, rail trail to Warburton, Don Rd, up the back of Donna, down the main rd, onto the Aqueduct trail eastbound to Cement Creek Rd, down Cement Creek Rd to the redwoods, back into Warburton and rail trail back to Lilydale.

That's a serious loop and past my front door.

Do you overnight in the valley on these rides or day trip?

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
That's a serious loop and past my front door.

Do you overnight in the valley on these rides or day trip?

I've done that one as a day trip with 3 friends, having a late lunch at Cog cafe before the push home. Riding in a line of 3 along the rail trail we managed a consistent 35-40km/h speed. (one of the group had to turn back on the climb of Donna as he lost his rear mech courtesy of a rogue stick)

I've also ridden the rail trail itself as an overnight, staying at the caravan park, but that was much more sedate as I had my then-3-year-old with me in his trailer, so that was an extra 25-30kg of ballast all up. :D

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
Jumped the wall to Mexico

Cool. After driving Acheron way yesterday, I was thinking maybe heading that way after the summit. Would have to look into it more.

Reactions: nezumi

NeoSamurai

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 22, 2002
If I retrace my steps I can probably find it.
A few years ago I rode Eltham~Lilydale~RailTrail~Warburton~then ran up the MtDonnaTrack to the summit and then returned the same. It was a big day and I was (unknowingly) attacked by leeches going up the MtDonna track - I looked like an axe murder victim when I arrived on the summit! Scared a few kiddies up on the lookout tower.

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic
A few years ago I rode Eltham~Lilydale~RailTrail~Warburton~then ran up the MtDonnaTrack to the summit and then returned the same. It was a big day and I was (unknowingly) attacked by leeches going up the MtDonna track - I looked like an axe murder victim when I arrived on the summit! Scared a few kiddies up on the lookout tower.

Big day? That's huge....kudos.

Across the top from the communication tower to Mt DB summit can be a real leech fest.

Reactions: Chaeron

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
The leeches out that way are just wrong.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Closed/partially closed sites

• 1,000 Steps/Kokoda Memorial Walk
  • Redwood Forest Warburton
  • Buchan Caves Reserve - cave tours closed
  • Lower Glenelg National Park - Princess Margaret Rose Cave closed
  • Point Nepean National Park - Fort Nepean, including underground tunnels and buildings
  • St Kilda Pier - penguin viewing platform closed
  • State Coal Mine - underground tours closed
  • Werribee Mansion (grounds to remain open)
  • Mount Donna Buang
In other words all the places the great unwashed flock to. There seems little reason to close the Alpine N.P , Baw Baw N.P. and Mt. Buffalo N.P. because lepers from the leper colony (Greater Melbourne) are banned from leaving plague i stan to go there. Locals in the NE of VIC. and in Gippsland should still be able to visit those places.

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic
Camberville is also within the Leper colony boundaries of the republic of plague i stan. With a low heavy snowfall some of the locked winter gate fire trails around there could become XC skiable and still within the " ring of fire".

Don’t forget Mt Dandenong. It’s western face goes off after a big dump

MHzMe

Addicted
Apr 24, 2001
Marouka Lodge
Don’t forget Mt Dandenong. It’s western face goes off after a big dump

Nah, the eastern face is better.
189ECEE1-82CB-4FAD-8BBF-0D33EE70BAED.jpeg 33149537-CDEA-4F73-894B-8D425AD3063F.jpeg 18B94787-C0CB-49C9-821D-A32E635927B4.jpeg
(Olinda (ex) Golf Course last year)

beefa skiing

Hard Yards
Oct 10, 2018
Look at how much the Golf Course is hammered by people walking on it. Also, would Mt Dandenong skiing only happen once every three or so years - what need a decent dump down to 500m.

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Put a ring of fire around those healthcare folk overseeing ops in Vicco land....and get some more accomplished performers ....:whistle:;)

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass