Doomsday Looming??

Discussion in 'Alpine & Southern' started by momas folly, Jul 17, 2006.

1. momas folly

momas folly Hard Yards

Mid July, Low temps in Melb but too warm in th eAlps, poor snow falls, could this be a disaster season? No real Snow bearing systems on the horizon, where have all the fronts gone? N.Z? [​IMG]

#1 momas folly, Jul 17, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  2. cactus jack

cactus jack First Runs

The optimists have been saying, when people were stressin in june, "oh just wait till mid july, it'll come good"!, mid july rolls on and now they are saying "the season doesn't start till august, what are ya worried about?"! i wonder how they will justify there optimism in august? i think its almost time to write this season off, because there is no real classic winter systems on the horizon. the highs are still too far south, the cold air feeds just aren't making it through when there is precipitation, and even when it does look like it may happen for us, it tends to downgrade. Although it is 120 hrs out, there is a snow bearing front looking like its rollin in, albeit minimal snow. maybe a 10-20cm fall at best. still the highs are very south, and the pressure surrounding the system may cause some problems. although the upper level temps and 850 temps are looking promising. fingers crossed.

3. FatBob

FatBob Hard Yards

I hear ppl saying we should "write this season off" everywhere.

What do you expect ppl to do when you "write it off"?

Shut down the lifts, unplug the website and all sit at home trying to think of something else to do?

It is the most unhelpfull, unproductive, useless statment anyone could make on a forum deditcated to the snow.

I mean, other than trolling this forum what is the point?

/rant

4. ausi ski bum

ausi ski bum A Local

Its a worry I know we get bad seasons and we can handle a lot but rain is a killer and if you look a snowatch, Frogs forcasting a lot of rain and no snow.

I hope we can keep three skiable runs open or the ski guarantee is gonna cost me a lot.

5. SkiMun

SkiMun Part of the Furniture

The simple fact is that we've been getting spoiled since 2000 so it was only a matter of time before we were going to have a bad season.

It's still not over yet of course but it's not looking good.

6. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Fair dinkum you guys are hopeless..... :rolleyes:

It's the 17th July !!!! :doh:

It ain't over until it's over:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have NEVER gone to the snow earlier than the last 5 days in July for at least the last 10 years......

#6 Sandy, Jul 17, 2006
  7. rossi

rossi First Runs

Pessimists.

:cheers:

#7 rossi, Jul 17, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  8. IAB

IAB A Local Ski Pass: Gold

But in two weeks time it will be August - there doesn't appear to be any snow in the forecast between now and then.

It's the middle of July, normally the coldest time of the year, and it's r**ning at the top of Thredbo!

I don't like to be a pessimist, but it is not looking good.

(More than happy to be reminded of this post in mid August when there's 3m of snow at Spencers Creek). :cheers:

9. Sandy

Look at the chart for 1984.....

I remember it well..... it was CRAP up until about the 7-8th AUGUST.
    I'm not saying THAT will happen, but it's only the 17th of JULY...... :headbang:

#9 Sandy, Jul 17, 2006
  10. cactus jack

cactus jack First Runs

pessimist is a word optimists created, because they couldn't understand or cope with realism!
    :p

But seriousley, its looking grim. and when i claim "write this season off", i am saying lets make do with what we've got. its enough to get out there and have a slide, so lets stop hoping its gonna puke and re-write the record books, and make the most of what appears to be shaping up to be a relativly poor season. besides hope is the root of all dissapointment.

11. skichic

skichic A Local

Well I'm optimistically siding with Sandy. Well I have to, can't cancel now, just being grateful that school committments meant we had to go mid-August this year instead of end July as we normally do :cheers:

12. optimist

optimist First Runs

I've been down twice so far this season NSW & VIC and have had fun both times, man made or real snow its what you make of it.... anyway if it wasn't for those average days when everything is icy, muddy or just so crowded due to just a couple of runs being open... you wouldn't know how good you've got it when all the elements come together .. you all remember those days 2m base 30cm of fresh and the whole resort is open.

keep the dream alive, go all you optimists [​IMG]

#12 optimist, Jul 17, 2006
  13. MickM

MickM One of Us Ski Pass: Gold Ski Pass: Silver

I'm with Sandy on this one.

2003 was a great late season (I know cos I was out of action due to knee surgery post 19 Aug)

OK, it doesn't look good atm, but this can change quickly.

I rarely ski in July anyway. I normally only pencil in late Aug early Sep.

Remember, even OS can have bad years. Look at the first couple of days in Torino, man made areas only!

If we end up having a shocker I will be disappointed but I can always go OS or NZ or just get over it! Not the end of the world! The people I really feel for are the ones working in the industry that work damn hard to keep this sport alive (often bagged on these forums). Spare a thought for the lodge owners, snowmakers (weather must break their heart), lifties etc. who rely on it for their income.

14. churchy

churchy One of Us

i've got first week in august booked - worst case scenario me and a bunch of mates spend 9 days hanging out and drinking, skating and drinking in jindy.

best case, the same thing that happens every year happens (ie, it snows in august) and we go sliding everyday. the beginners get to ride the beginners slopes, we better riders go looking for natural jumps or go to the park (if it's open).

be negative if you want, but it doesn't get you anywhere. My glass half full says i get a holiday regardless of how much snow there is and i'm saving a putt-load of money and spending more quality time with my gf by not going every weekend.

yep, the losers are the business owners and the seasonal workers with nothing to do, losing money every day [​IMG]

#14 churchy, Jul 17, 2006
  15. Sandy

What a wonderful attitude in life..... [​IMG]

You wouldn't buy skis/board, wouldn't book any accommodation..... you wouldn't by more than a day lift ticket, because tomorrow could be crappy....... because you wouldn't be expecting there to be any snow, any year.....

#15 Sandy, Jul 17, 2006
  16. momas folly

momas folly Hard Yards

Pessimistic I am not. Bookings are for late August. But Just surprised at the lack of the usual temp variations to the mountains. Well, it may be time to head for NZ. C'mon guys lets do the snow dance. or , Do the Gluewein and schnapps routine.

17. BenLomond Iceman

BenLomond Iceman One of Us

You guys really do need to get over it! Bad season! end of season ! pack up & go home! Us tassie skiers put up with this every year! We start worrying about the season after the ist week of august! You have all been spoilt the last couple of years! Our snow buisneses and skiers have the sort of worry the mainland is having now evey year! We all soldier on !

Though we are optomists down here you need to be!

18. Froggy

Froggy First Runs

Have you guys not noticed how much the forecasts changed even up to and during the latest front and you see a forecast for rain 2 weeks out and assume it'll stay the same? Have you not learnt anything! Up until 1 or 2 days beforehand it is simply a guide not what will happen.

19. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

I am the original pragmatic realist with 30 yrs of Oz skiing under my wayward feet and I have not given up having a couple of good days skiing this year ......

BUT do a snowhydro compare with 2006 with 1982 AND keep in mind that 95% of sliding this year has been done on snow that came from a hose.

Yep its only mid July though and anything can happen ........ stay tuned

:cheers:

20. cactus jack

cactus jack First Runs

i dont EXPECT anything, but this means anytime there is good snow or anything good happens, i appreciate it greatly. I have booked a week at hotham, for the 2nd week in august, and, as i said before, i dont go there hoping for it to have puked the day before. If it does, bonus, if it doesn't, i'm not dissapointed. I'm just happy to have been able to go there and board on what terrain is available. Besides i find your post to be a little aggressive, a little belittling, i dont judge you because you do expect, or hope, for a good season. As a moderator you should be leading by example sandy.

#20 cactus jack, Jul 17, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2013
  21. Majikthise

Majikthise Sage Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

i think it's fair to say that the 2006 season, has up until now, been performing below average and must try harder..
    if we are still saying that come september then it's over.

22. agentBM

agentBM Part of the Furniture

Space..traveling through the vast non emptiness
    It is conditions like these where SnowBlades / SkiBoards are good. When there is no so deep cover with bits showing through, you can ski / turn / fump in places where others can't so SnowBlades DO have a place on-mountain. I am going to take them ou this weekend by the looks of it. No snow forecast this week really, so they could be just right. People say they are ghey, well, they aint 'cqause I aint and I ski em! Then - you can have a great time, where longer skis cringe as they scrape etc. Snow season is never a write off if you do not honusly place given eggs into one bucket - for to stretch the imgaination and 'attitude' a little, can be so surprising! So as one who skis K2 Apache Outlaws( like me), but skis them only, may see a write off, I see a unique SnowBlading opportunity and lots of terrain!

23. cactus jack

cactus jack First Runs

And maybe at seasons end i will be eating my words, which will be great for everyone, especially those that can gloat at me! we'll just have to wait and see.

24. cactus jack

cactus jack First Runs

i repeat.

#24 cactus jack, Jul 17, 2006
  25. cactus jack

cactus jack First Runs

and let me just add that just because i beleive hope is the root of all disspointment doesn't mean that i dont sometimes find myself hoping. and to ilustrate this look at my recent post about how i went to buller hoping the ticket prices were still $44. i was DISSAPOINTED!

26. agentBM

PS: Trying to work out what fumping is - I'll get back on this one.

27. BH

BH One of Us

Sure ordainary start- But its only July 17th- I do hope one thing though- That the resorts will keep making snow after August. Its ludicrous that they stop making snow before the season ends- September nights are perfect for making snow and if the snow doesnt come for gods sake reduce the ticket price. How they can charge the same price when 1/2 the mountain isnt acsessable is a joke!!

28. cactus jack

cactus jack First Runs

29. luvthabumps

luvthabumps A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Back in MEL ( with annual trips to the 604 )
    isn't that what some Cockney bloke gives you when you tell 'im the Poms are going to lose the Ashes this summer....... :fishing:

#29 luvthabumps, Jul 17, 2006
  30. agentBM

You're right there - he did fump me when I called him big nose again! Is it going to be worth it this weekend? Maybe take the bike.....?

31. viswin

viswin Hard Yards

What a depressing day... [​IMG] .I want to see this temperature take a nose dive NOW.

#31 viswin, Jul 17, 2006
  32. Sandy

keep it on topic....

33. longinforearly90s

longinforearly90s First Runs

great graphs sandy, 92 was also a super late season. i remember this time 03 at falls and they had about as much as they do now maybe a little less as they have terrain park up and running and then it started snowing late july and never stopped!

34. longinforearly90s

longinforearly90s First Runs

oh, i forgot, if the season ends up a fizzer head to NZ north island in October and you won't be disappointed, this is when they have their best conditions and usually on a big base. they already have 225cm at turoa. i went there mid Oct and the base was 420cm in 1994.

35. Megs

Megs Hard Yards

Momas Folly.... I promise that last Saturday night I waited until everyone was out (don't need to scare the locals) and got out there and out of sheer desparation I did my snow dance and I kid you not when I tell you that the sky opened up and it poured... so I changed directions and started it all over again... just waiting to see if I get any results...

36. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Cactus Jack :violin:
    Maybe you should try to understand what "disappointment" means:
    18 months ago I bought an ex-supermarket. Refurbished it. Stocked it as a ski hire. $50,000 hire gear. $50,00 gear for sale. Last year was the 2nd worst year on record for my mountain. Total taking for ski hire $10,000. This year, my ski hire gross takings to date are $988. And most of that is from people going to other mountains.
    And you reckon you are disappointed (in capitals) because you couldn't get your lift ticket for $44?
    My heart bleeds for you (not). :violin: Get a life.

37. Froggy

Froggy First Runs

Will you ride it out Teckel?

38. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Don't know Froggy. I'm depending on sales at present, but without the throughput of the hiring public, sales are very low too. Mainly the locals, and the occasional tourist.
    I've spoken with a number of my suppliers that I owe big $ to, and they seem to be understanding. But they too, are going to be badly affected by so many others being in a similar position. So their patience will wear thin at some point. And with the clothing suppliers, unless I pay the bills soon, I can't buy any summer stock to tide me through till next winter. I'm determined to stick it out, but some days it's just too hard to be positive.
    Any snow would help. Can't you forecast some? [​IMG]

#38 teckel, Jul 17, 2006
  39. BrumbyJack

BrumbyJack First Runs

I'm wishing lots of snow your way teckel.... good luck [​IMG]

#39 BrumbyJack, Jul 17, 2006